Why do vegans, and vegetarians, spend so much time talking about animal abuse? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Beginner

It just doesn't make sense... if vegans and vegetarians really don't like cruelty to animals, abuse, death, etc etc why constantly talk about it? (Unless you are a full-blown activist, which I'm sure most people aren't.) Shouldn't it make more sense to not talk about it once you are a vegan or vegetarian?

It strikes me at times to be nothing more than an egotistical thing.... especially when people say they're "doing it for the animals". Be honest - you're doing it for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

It just doesn't make sense... if vegans and vegetarians really don't like cruelty to animals, abuse, death, etc etc why constantly talk about it? (Unless you are a full-blown activist, which I'm sure most people aren't.) Shouldn't it make more sense to not talk about it once you are a vegan or vegetarian?

It strikes me at times to be nothing more than an egotistical thing.... especially when people say they're "doing it for the animals". Be honest - you're doing it for yourself.

I don't constantly talk about it, except to participate on VB. I come here to be reminded of why I'm doing it. And believe me, I'm vegan for the animals, not for myself. There would be zero reason for me to do it for myself. I have grown into this lifestyle, and I do enjoy it to a certain extent, but if I did not care about animals, it would be 972563407856 times more convenient for me to be lacto-ovo vegetarian, or hell, even omni.
#3 Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm doing it for both, for myself and animals.

1. For me; because do not need animal products. Because I can not live with the guilt of consuming their products. . It's wrong.

2. The Animals; because they deserve to be treated with respect. To live in peace, without fear, without torture.

I only talk about animal abuse if someone asks me, quite frankly I have happier things to talk about.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

deleted

#5 Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Not talking about it won't make it stop happening.

true but always talking about it doesn't stop it from happening either. True people need to be educated but if people push it then people could simply stop listening sadly.

#6 Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because it's important to us. Hiding away and not talking about things because they are ugly and awful doesn't do a damn thing.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#7 Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I don't constantly talk about it, except to participate on VB. I come here to be reminded of why I'm doing it. And believe me, I'm vegan for the animals, not for myself. There would be zero reason for me to do it for myself. I have grown into this lifestyle, and I do enjoy it to a certain extent, but if I did not care about animals, it would be 972563407856 times more convenient for me to be lacto-ovo vegetarian, or hell, even omni.

i love what you wrote here.

#8 Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Because it's important to us. Hiding away and not talking about things because they are ugly and awful doesn't do a damn thing.

The desire to be fair to all living creatures is one of the reasons I stopped eating animals, however reminding myself of what other people do is not something I find enjoyable... for the same reason I'm not interested in murder or torture of humans... or plants for that matter...
#9 Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

i love what you wrote here.

Ditto.

Personally when I talk about animal abuse issues it's because I want to educate people about it, I'm not just blowing hot air.

For instance if someone asks what the problem with wool is of course I'm going to explain the cruelty issues involved and what mulesing is etc. I don't think that's morbid or weird, it's informative and might get that person to reconsider that wool sweater at the store.

Or for instance I recently posted a story about how the executive of Go Daddy enjoys killing exotic/endangered animals in a few places, and by spreading that information I got dozens of people to either stop using them or decide they never wanted to.

Besides, what's illogical about people wanting to talk about issues that they care about? That seems perfectly normal to me, it would seem weirder if people only talked about things they weren't passionate about honestly...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The desire to be fair to all living creatures is one of the reasons I stopped eating animals, however reminding myself of what other people do is not something I find enjoyable... for the same reason I'm not interested in murder or torture of humans... or plants for that matter...

I don't find it enjoyable either. But I find it important.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#11 Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We talk about animal abuse because it's happening everyday and a lot of people don't care! We talk about it because the government has extremely lax laws in prosecuting people who abuse animals. We talk about it because sometimes people need to be reminded of how animals are treated.
#12 Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel sad when I read some of the threads people make about the cruel things that are happening. But I am also grateful people are bringing these things to light. If people never talked about cruelty or abuse it gets swept under the rug and it is enabled.
#13 Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Ditto.

Personally when I talk about animal abuse issues it's because I want to educate people about it, I'm not just blowing hot air.

For instance if someone asks what the problem with wool is of course I'm going to explain the cruelty issues involved and what mulesing is etc:

I don't wear wool but what is mulesing? I feel stupid!!!!

#14 Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

deleted
#15 Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to google 'what is mulesing'

#16 Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I don't wear wool but what is mulesing? I feel stupid!!!!

Don't feel stupid! MOST people have no idea what goes on with wool production. The cruelty in other industries is coming to light more and more but there's still a lot of whitewashing when it comes to where wool comes from... There's a lot of good info here: http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/wool.htm

Quote:
Since domesticated sheep can not shed their fleece \t\tthemselves, their wool will grow longer and longer while flies lay eggs \t\tin the moist folds of their skin. The hatched maggots can eat the sheep \t\talive.
\t\tTo prevent this from happening, ranchers will perform \t\tan operation called mulesing. Without anesthesia large strips of flesh are cut of the backs of lambs and around their tails.
\t\tOther procedures performed without anesthesia include punching a hole in the ears of lambs several weeks after birth, docking their tails and castrating the males. The castrations are done when the male lambs are between 2 and 8 weeks old, with the use of a rubber ring to cut off their blood supply.

So yes, this is why we talk about it, so people know. The knowledge needs to be spread around.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I feel sick to my stomach

#18 Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 PM

If no one talks about it, then we won't get anything done about it. Just like with any other issue, if no one talks about animal abuse/cruelty/neglect, there weren't be any awareness raised and it will be swept under the rug as someone else said.
#19 Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Idk why the hell does anyone talk about child abuse? First of all talking about something, you can vent out your frustrations on the subject, ignoring it doesn't make it stop, and what exactly do you mean doing it for yourself? lol how does talking about animal abuse help me exactly? But honestly i don't think i do talk about it on here or really in real life, unless trying to explain something to someone. I do honestly sometimes have to remind myself easily why i'm vegetarian by looking t a video or something for a sec, because sometimes i feel weak and that gets me back to normal very fast.
#20 Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Some vegans might, this vegan doesn't. I can't even remember the last time I talked about animal abuse IRL - infact I don't even think I do it much on VB (and if so, only because it comes up).

I think I did a little bit more when I turned vegan because I had a lot of explaining to do to friends and family who thought I was mad, and because I was young and outraged that no one else seemed to care. I grew up a bit, and I don't think it's always the best way to reach people, I also don't know much about it anymore - it made me sad and angry to learn, and I don't need that in my life.

That said, I think your logic is wrong. Why would people who don't care about animals suffering go on about it, and why wouldn't people who do sometimes feel the need to? I think a lot of people are very passionate, and want to help inform others to encourage them to make better choices with regards to animal abuse. Lots of veg*ans also spend a lot of time talking about h health and the environment because lo and behold they are linked to veg*anism and a lot of veg*ans care about those things a lot too.
#21 Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It just doesn't make sense...

Truly one of the strangest posts I have ever seen on this board. It just doesn't make sense..... For sure.

I actually rarely go into the activist discussion part. Should I think of animal abuse and animals suffering, I'll go out of my freaking mind.

I actually did go vegan for the animals. Not for my health. I don't worry about it in that context. I think things may be striking you wrong. I'll leave it at that.
#22 Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Many of us have gone vegan at least partly if not mostly for the animals, we have opinions on animal abuse and feel the need to share those opinions with like-minded people. Educating others as to what goes on is another good reason to talk about it. In real life, I very rarely talk about it unless it comes up in conversation. However, I would love to participate in leafleting, protests or other more direct activities one day.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#23 Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

How can we have a better world if we can't discuss the things that are wrong with this one first?

Tam! RUGH!
#24 Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Why does Amnesty International talk about human rights abuses? If they don't personally participate in them, why continue going on and on about them? We should stop this whole business about bringing injustices to light and just halt moral progress.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Beginner

I didn't become a vegan for health reasons, so, for me, my diet is related to my ethics. They're not separate things. So, obviously, if I'm going to talk about it (like, for instance, on a veg*n board), I'm going to talk about it.

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#26 Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It just doesn't make sense... if vegans and vegetarians really don't like cruelty to animals, abuse, death, etc etc why constantly talk about it?

Probably for similar reasons that you make multiple threads about death, suicide and planning to kill yourself.

m8itcanw8.com
#27 Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Op, should feminists not talk about rape or domestic abuse?
#28 Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

It is important to talk about it, its the only way to educate those that are unaware of what goes on "behind closed doors." Some people that I've talked to never realized how badly animals are treated for the simple joy of our palates. I believe though, it is important never to FORCE the lifestyle on anyone because that simply draws people away.

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#29 Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Why does Amnesty International talk about human rights abuses? If they don't personally participate in them, why continue going on and on about them? We should stop this whole business about bringing injustices to light and just halt moral progress.

*like*

ETA: Also, while things like this http://www.mercyforanimals.org/pigabuse/ is happening you can damn well bet I will speak up for them. If we all stayed silent and never discussed it or educated people on what is happening then it will just continue to get worse.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#30 Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page