Wrestler Daniel Bryan partners with PeTA to promote veganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

WWE superstar (that's what the WWE calls it's wrestlers ... uh, 'sports entertainers') Daniel Bryan (real name Brian Danielson) has recorded a PSA for PeTA promoting vegetarianism. (He's described as a vegan, which he is, but doesn't use the word 'vegan' in the promo)

A profile of Bryan can be found on the PETA2 website: http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o-danielBryan.asp

This story was in my newsfeed this morning from a pro wrestling news site. Thought I'd mention it in case someone doesn't follow wrasslin'. That's funny because I can probably count the number of VB users who also visit wrestling news sites on one finger, or at most one hand.

A note on the topic header (and why I put this in the Vegan Discussion forum): the wrestling site used the phrase 'promoting veganism'. The actual PSA uses the word 'vegetarianism'. Conspiracy theorists ... 3 ... 2 .. 1 ... GO!

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Banned

I've never watched wrestling or anything, but I still think this is great! Maybe he can help shatter vegan stereotypes.
#3 Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a fan of his for a while. He's a good technical performer.

Tam! RUGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know the last thing about wrestling, only ever saw a few matches of Kaine (still masked back then) and the Hardy Brothers with a friend who used to tape the matches from American channels.

Still, this is really cool.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#5 Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I love it!
#6 Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Yes, this should be good publicity for veganism in general. Just wish PeTA wouldn't begin the article on a negative comment, that happens a lot in articles relating to veganism. Also if he's vegan, why can't he say that he is vegan? What are PeTA afraid of? This sort of thing happens regularly in magazines and newspapers and on TV, with people who are vegan but for some reason call themselves vegetarian. Maybe it's the stupid fault of the journalist or the editor etc, thinking that some people will be "scared" by the word vegan.
#7 Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
thinking that some people will be "scared" by the word vegan.

Or at least confused. That was pretty much a common (and mostly accurate) belief until very recently. The first three vegan cookbooks I purchased (New Farm Vegetarian, American Vegetarian Kitchen, Ten Talents) don't use the word vegan on the cover for this reason. Plus, in this specific case the stereotype of a wrestling fan (either a kid or a 'hick') probably comes into play.

It's significant that the content on the site ABOUT Bryan and his promo uses the word vegan.

Quote:
Just wish PeTA wouldn't begin the article on a negative comment, that happens a lot in articles relating to veganism

Yeah, I think the 'stereotypical vegan' is promoted as much by pro-vegan articles as by those opposed to it. Folks seem unwilling to let the food speak for itself.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page