Mosquitoes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

I've just gone vegan last spring. Before, my instinct when a mosquito near me was to kill it. Now, they still try to bite me as much as ever, I feel guilty about trying to kill them, and I'm covered in bites.

What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I use a mosquito repellant body lotion and then a repellant spray on top.

m8itcanw8.com
#3 Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM

I would probably use mosquito repellant, there is one that is Vegan friendly here in oz, not sure if available in the US. The brand is Herbon.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard tea tree is a natural repellent, no idea if that's true but maybe worth a try.
#5 Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

I draw the ****ing line with mosquitos and fleas. When a mosquito lands on me, I give her a really healthy "pat on the back".

Actually, I've been using my own home-made mosquito spray consisting of rubbing alcohol, and grapefruit oil, in a pump spray bottle and have not actually seen any land on me after spraying this on me. I only use it when cutting the grass. Kept feeling like the top of my head was being bitten, but I was also sweating like hell there.
#6 Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I blow towards them to kind of shush them away, rather than killing them. The mosquitoes here are pretty small though.

Also, I quote lines from Tom Cruise interviews. At that point, even mosquitoes go "what the **** is this ****, I'm outta here".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Sad that people who devote their lives to saving animals continue to slaughter them.

I never kill insects, no matter what. Then again, I never kill arachnids either... how about I just settle for saying I don't kill arthropods. But snails and slugs aren't arthropods, and I don't kill them either... bah. You know what I'm trying to say here.

If I see a mosquito on me, my reaction depends on gender. If it's a male, I let him go wherever he wants. If it's a female, I shoo her away. I am pretty rough, but I make sure to never kill them.

If you want to avoid insect encounters, just wear a good enough bug spray and shoo them away if they get too close. You're bound to get a few bites no matter what you do, so don't worry about it too much. Sure, it sucks to have a nasty bite for a week, but think about how much it would suck to just try to sip at your natural food source, not knowing anything was wrong with it, and then suddenly be brutally crushed.

Don't feel bad about what you've done in the past - what's gone is gone, and there's nothing you can do, so why worry? If you're worried about it, then just make sure you don't kill them in the future. That's what matters.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#8 Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Citronella wristbands are good to repell them.

Personally, I don't have an ethical problem with killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, bed bugs, lice, etc. when they pose a direct threat. But I think prevention is best.
#9 Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Citronella wristbands are good to repell them.

Personally, I don't have an ethical problem with killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, bed bugs, lice, etc. when they pose a direct threat. But I think prevention is best.

That's the same with me. I draw the line when they attack me. I'll take spiders outside, or to a different location in my apartment when it's winter(I don't mind them living with me). But my hospitality ends when I wake up and they're gnawing on my arm.
#10 Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

If they'd stay away after swishing them away, I could see just doing that. But they are hell-bent kamikazes. I also don't like other Animals having to put up with them.

Same with ticks.
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

If they'd stay away after swishing them away, I could see just doing that. But they are hell-bent kamikazes. I also don't like other Animals having to put up with them.

Same with ticks.

Yes. And how many illnesses can be caused by these pests? If they're biting you, you're opening yourself up to westnile, lime disease, etc. What about wasp/bees nests when they find away into your home? They can be deadly to the allergic. And I doubt you'll find an exterminator that will knock them out and relocate them.
#12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

and what about termites, and a carpenter ant infestation? Last yr the ants were horrible, this yr, we didn't have any....not sure why though.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

One time i was drunk and noticed a mosquito passed out on my shoulder. I hadn't layed a hand on Her.
#14 Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

One time i was drunk and noticed a mosquito passed out on my shoulder. I hadn't layed a hand on Her.

Hahaha. You know... I don't think I've ever gotten a mosquito drunk
#15 Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I draw the ****ing line with mosquitos and fleas. When a mosquito lands on me, I give her a really healthy "pat on the back".

I would use repellant and still have tons of bites. One time I smacked one on my leg and it left a blood splatter, probably not my own Most bugs don't bother me, but when I was in Texas and Florida, they were my enemy. I've never been so itchy in my life.
#16 Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate mosquitoes, they eat me alive. They actually manage to squeeze through our screens (takes them about an hour, but they are persistent little buggers). I'll have to try some of these remedies.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#17 Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

You have every right to defend yourself against an attack or an infestation.

An insect actually biting you is an attack.

I'll swat any mosquito I find on me or my clothing.

I do keep them mostly away from my home with citronella oil. Citronella oil is what's in those candles and clip-ons. I dribble droplets around my door frames, and spread the oil around under my home so the rain won't wash it away. It works VERY well and is work every penny.

Not only does it encourage mosquitoes to fly away from my home, but it protects my vegetable garden, and keeps other pests away from my home without doing any real harm. I hate the idea of using pesticides that make the whole food chain ill.

Still, though, if a mosquito is on my arm, I'll swat it.

If you are truly bothered b killing a mosquito, that's okay, Really, it is. Blow them off of you with your breath, and invest in clip-ons and other products to repel them.

Edited to add: Here are a few examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-oz-100-Pure-Ci...#ht_1306wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-oz-CITRONELLA...#ht_3095wt_698

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#18 Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

^This.
#19 Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 AM

the mosquitoes up here in Montana can be horrible, but last year i started using one of those electric repellents and lighting citronella, seems to work for me! the electric thing is great for hiking or picnicking in the mountains too.
#20 Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I squish them if they land on me. If they didn't land on me I wouldn't squish them :P

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#21 Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

I've found swatting to be useless, as they come back! I'm in Georgia, and they're super-vicious here. Though I have been tempted to invest in some good repellant. Citronella oil does sound nice and vegan-friendly, thank you!

It's hard to know where to draw the line with them regarding self-defense, as malaria isn't an issue here so they're not exactly life-threatening. They just itch. But then again, if I would kill a human if it was my life or theirs, then same goes with an animal.

Just felt very guilty a few days ago when I swatted and killed one. I told myself I wouldn't, but then old instincts.
#22 Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Look, I can totally understand that kind of viewpoint if your life is really at stake. If I was approached by a giant centipede that was going to kill me, I would take his life instead of mine if it was unavoidable. But they're mosquitoes. The threat of malaria in what so many people call "civilized" areas is so rare it's not really a threat at all. The only threat here is a little itchy bite that goes away after a week or two.

Also this is not comparable to a situation with a human attacker. A human who attacks someone is perfectly capable of understanding what they are doing, why they are doing it, and if it is right or wrong. Mosquitoes lack those thought processes and act mainly, if not completely, on instinct. A mosquito does not go "Hey, I'm going to attack this dude and suck his blood, and it's gonna hurt him," a mosquito goes "Yum! Food!" And who are we to punish them, especially by means of death, just for thinking that? Imagine you go to eat a veggie burger, and suddenly are killed by a higher power for reasons your mind is incapable of understanding. Is that fair? You didn't know you were doing anything wrong. You were simply doing what you had to do. But since someone else considered it an annoyance, your life was taken.

Now I know that's kind of a dumb obscure analogy. However, I'm simply keeping to the point that killing someone (animals are someones too) for an act that they don't understand is wrong, when you can prevent said act in the first place without any death, is unfair.

#23 Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Vegkid, if you live somewhere that has swarms of aggressive mosquitoes, I'm impressed.
#24 Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, yes. I have 4 bites right now, it's not even mosquito season yet, and I usually use repellent. Many of these bites bled. Still, I barely even noticed the mosquitoes that caused them, and if I had, I would have just shooed them away, even if I had just seen them leave a gaping, bleeding hole in my leg.

I would rather not have mosquitoes sucking my blood, that's for sure, but I don't think killing them is the answer.

#25 Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I use Deep Woods OFF, which may not be considered truly vegan since it's made by SC Johnson. However, it's the only thing that I've found really works well for me, so I rationalize that at least this way I can keep myself from killing mosquitoes who would otherwise try to bite me. We have tons of them in our backyard and pool area at this time of year.
#26 Old 06-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

On the subject of mosquito repellent, I've heard rumors of bags of water with pennies being hung up in places where mosquitoes swarm to get them to go away. Sounds like an urban legend but it just could work. Anyone tried this?

#27 Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

For disease prevention (Maleria, West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, dengue fever, and others) prevention is much better than revenge. We can argue ad nauseum about whether or not it's vegan to kill mosquitoes, but the fact is, if you get bit by one that's carrying a nasty disease, it doesn't really matter if you kill it or not because you're probably already infected. Better to take measures to prevent negative interactions between humans and annoying animals than debate the relative merits of interspecies vengeance.

Luckily, in the US, disease caused by mosquitoes is pretty rare. But it does happen so it's more than just a matter of some itchy skin.

The CDC says:
- use an effective insect repellent
- fix your window and door screens so they don't come in your house
- empty water-holding containers (pond, untreated pool, buckets) around the yard (and encourage your neighbors to do the same)
- when weather permits, wear long-sleeves, long pants and socks when outdoors
- "The hours from dusk to dawn are peak biting times for many species of mosquitoes. Take extra care to use repellent and protective clothing during evening and early morning -- or consider avoiding outdoor activities during these times."

They also say that if you travel outside the US, consider planning your trip in such a way as to avoid disease outbreaks and seasons when certain annoying animals are most prevalent. And a mosquito net for your bed is a good idea as well as any related vaccines (Yellow Fever).
links: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...arthropods.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/index.html
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm

EPA has a factsheet about citronella:
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopes...eet_021901.htm

Personally, I use citronella when I travel to New Orleans (we really don't have mosquitoes in Vegas). But if I went to Africa, I'd probably use something stronger.
#28 Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Screw the little *******s them, they die if they bite me. Lucky for me mosquitoes aren't all that common around where I live.

I am all for peaceful and humane transport of bugs out of my home but those that bite or present some kind of harm to me (and my dog) will die if they attack first.

And it's a f'ing bug. Sorry, I realize this is a vegan board and all but I can't get my panties in a twist over killing something like that. I don't like to take my chances with spiders very much either because there are known poisonous ones around these parts.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#29 Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Banned

Yeah, the mosquitoes have always seemed to especially love the taste of me for some reason. So I generally get eaten alive. I know they're not trying to be malicious, they're simply trying to nourish their eggs so they can reproduce, but it's still irritating.

I'd been hesitant about repellants before, because of animal testing issues, though one now seems in order, and something along the line of a bracelet or citronella oil seems appealing. And all the more reason to move to a cooler climate ASAP.
#30 Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't let the cooler climate fool you, we get mosquitoes too. I'm on the NW Oregon coast (although I do live near a swampish type thing, so that could be why) and they're annoying here too.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page