Medicine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

What is everyones opinion on medicine? I am against it for 2 reasons. The first is the obvious testing on animals issue. The second reason is because I don't like putting stuff that is made of chemicals in my body. I am on like 4 pills now for depression, anxiety, ADD and hypothyroidism. If I don't take the medicine for hypothyrodism, I will literally die, and I have tried going off the meds for the other issues but I feel like I need them. I really don't want to take them and I don't know what to do

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Being straight edge, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#3 Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

If I don't take the medicine for hypothyrodism, I will literally die

Soo...medicine is keeping you alive, but you're against it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm for it when it's needed but a lot of times it's prescribed/taken when it's not needed and it's abused as well so unless there is a situation when it's the only option (in your case if you don't take it you'll die) then take it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

If there is no practical alternative to the medicine, it's definitely a good idea to take it. I hate taking my medication every day for the same reasons but I know I need it. Let's hope more accurate and cruelty-free methods of testing are adopted one day.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have 2 medications I need to be on other wise I'm in a lot of trouble, there are no others available. As I see it, what good am I to helping the animals if I'm dead? To my daughters if I'm sick or dead?

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#7 Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Being straight edge, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Maybe you have a different interpretation of what straight edge is supposed to be than me, but if I were really sick and needed medicine to function I'd take it until I was better. Even if it was tested on animals.That may seem hypocritical but I consider myself an advocate who's capable of doing far more for the animals healthy than sick or dead, and even if I sometimes contribute to animal suffering in some small way, by staying healthy and occasionally leafleting and things like that I'll save more animals in the long run.

Tam! RUGH!
#8 Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Beginner

I'm neither for or against it. I'm against the unneccessary prescription of psychiatric medications when the condition isn't serious and when other approaches (e.g psychotherapy) haven't been tried first. I know I follow a vegan lifestyle, but being against life-saving medicine seems just too extreme for me. I do what I can to reduce cruelty to animals, but I don't pretend to do everything. Besides, as I'm training to go into the medical profession, I'd be a bit screwed if I was against it...
#9 Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

My sister has Epilespy, if she doesnt take medication every day for the rest of her life, she will have a seizure and most likely die.
Knowing I am a veg*n some people(as in more than one) have said 'surely you dont like your sister taking meds if theyve been tested on animals'
Trying to be smug about it.
by LAW(at least in the UK) medication has to be tested on animals, for now theres no way around that.
My view is that if you need the medication, like my sister does, then you need it. No point in not taking it so you are more vegan than the next guy. Why harm yourself to proove a point?
I personally wont take pain pills for a headache, cramps that sort of thing, but if I need something a Doctor gives me for a very valid reason then I will take it.
I also suffer from Anxiety but I dont take medication for it. Not to insult or offend anyone but I think these days Doctors are all too ready to dish out medication for depression related illnesses.
#10 Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is everyones opinion on medicine?

Depends on the meds.

I take asthma meds regularly. I'm not sure that I would die without them but sometimes it feels like I would. I try to use as little as I need and I make sure to get the generic stuff so that my money isn't being used to support animal testing.

I tend to be pro-antibiotics when used properly. Same with most vaccines. Antiinflamtories have helped me a great deal (headaches, sore muscles, root canal, broken toe, and so forth) although acetaminophen is a little scary because so many people overdose on it and die.

I'm not much of a fan of cough medicine, most antidepressants, some acne meds, and other things that seem to do a good job of killing people or causing birth defects. Not cool.

Did you know that there's a new phenomenon whereby people get a sort of "side-effect blindness" and the more side-effects a pill has, the less concerned about the side-effects a consumer is. Weird. I basically don't think Big Pharma should be allowed to advertise the way they do and sneakily promote off-label uses for their drugs.

So... yeah, I'm not against medicine per se, but I'm against some medicines.
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Depends on the meds.

Antiinflamtories have helped me a great deal (headaches, sore muscles, root canal, broken toe, and so forth) although acetaminophen is a little scary because so many people overdose on it and die.

actually, acetaminophen is not a very good agent at killing people, but it does a good harmful job on damaging the liver, esp when mixed with alcohol. Terrible suicide option....doesn't usually work.

I'm with the majority...if you need for a necessary ailment, then meds are appropriate.

Vrabbit- Many people go to the Dr's looking for medications to take away their symptoms....that's why they're there. psychiatric symptoms are no fun to deal with, and I totally agree with using other traditional or non traditional therapies, but I certainly do advocate the use of psych meds when appropriate. I'm also in the medical field....better get a tough skin when you have to see and deal with the stuff we do

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Vrabbit- Many people go to the Dr's looking for medications to take away their symptoms....that's why they're there. psychiatric symptoms are no fun to deal with, and I totally agree with using other traditional or non traditional therapies, but I certainly do advocate the use of psych meds when appropriate. I'm also in the medical field....better get a tough skin when you have to see and deal with the stuff we do

I'm not against psychiatric meds (heck, I have professionally diagnosed Bipolar Disorder, I know how bad things can get), but I think they're too easily prescribed when the condition is mild and when other alternatives haven't first been tried.
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe- again agree with the need for concommittant therapy, BUT, sometimes it's better to nip mild symptoms in the bud, before letting a mental health issue fully progress. I don't disagree at all with you that meds are over prescribed for some conditions, or again, because the pt wants or expects to be given meds.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#14 Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:

maybe- again agree with the need for concommittant therapy, BUT, sometimes it's better to nip mild symptoms in the bud, before letting a mental health issue fully progress. I don't disagree at all with you that meds are over prescribed for some conditions, or again, because the pt wants or expects to be given meds.

I agree, it is, but I think in most mental health circumstances it's more important to teach coping mechanisms (which can be taught through psychotherapy), even if meds are needed alongside this (but again, in a psychiatric setting, unless it's serious I tend to take the opinion 'try something else first, if that doesn't work, sure, meds').

Agree to disagree?
#15 Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

nope, can just agree.

#16 Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Maybe you have a different interpretation of what straight edge is supposed to be than me, but if I were really sick and needed medicine to function I'd take it until I was better. Even if it was tested on animals.That may seem hypocritical but I consider myself an advocate who's capable of doing far more for the animals healthy than sick or dead, and even if I sometimes contribute to animal suffering in some small way, by staying healthy and occasionally leafleting and things like that I'll save more animals in the long run.

I didn't say I wouldn't take medicine at all, but I'll avoid it unless I absolutely can't.
Like, if I were going to die without it, I'd take it.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#17 Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is everyones opinion on medicine? I am against it for 2 reasons. The first is the obvious testing on animals issue. The second reason is because I don't like putting stuff that is made of chemicals in my body. I am on like 4 pills now for depression, anxiety, ADD and hypothyroidism. If I don't take the medicine for hypothyrodism, I will literally die, and I have tried going off the meds for the other issues but I feel like I need them. I really don't want to take them and I don't know what to do

I'm for natural medicine as much as possible, but if I truly needed a drug, I'd take it. You might consider seeing a naturopathic doctor to see if there's any way you can replace some of your drugs with natural remedies.
#18 Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

There are many natural remedies that have been used for centuries by other cultures. We just need to re-learn many of them here. Each year more and more natural cures are being rediscovered by us westerners.
#19 Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Did you know that there's a new phenomenon whereby people get a sort of "side-effect blindness" and the more side-effects a pill has, the less concerned about the side-effects a consumer is. Weird. I basically don't think Big Pharma should be allowed to advertise the way they do and sneakily promote off-label uses for their drugs.

Hmm I think that makes a lot of sense, if I saw just a few side effects I'd probally concentrate on them and worry I'd get them/I had them "oh no I don't want to get that", but if there's a huge long list I'd just think "Oh they're just covering themselves I probally wont get any of them". Interesting!

As for medicine, I'm happy to take what I need. I don't agree with animal testing for anything, but it's required by law, and I don't believe that boycotting medicine will affect the animal-testing policies anyway. I think it'd be better to fund research into improving/finding better alternatives and doing activism if you want to make a difference - and support not-testing-on-animal for everyday products, because I think natrually abolishing testing on make-up/etc is going to come before abolishing testing on medicine.

I'm happy to ask questions, and I particularlly like if my doctor explains how the medicines work and why I need them, but on the whole I trust doctors.
#20 Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Banned

I don't like medications, though I would use them as a last resort, and only as a last resort. As for anti-depressants, there's plenty of good ones out there, like St. John's Wort.
#21 Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Beginner

And this kids, is why we have medicinal marijuana (unfortunately not in the UK yet, where people are still arrested for simply medicating their horrible medical conditions with it).

"The reason that people are not vegetarian for the most part is convenience. That is it. They are raised in a society where it's so easy not to be a vegetarian."
- Ian Mackaye
#22 Old 06-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

I don't like medications, though I would use them as a last resort, and only as a last resort. As for anti-depressants, there's plenty of good ones out there, like St. John's Wort.

I tried that but for when I had severe anorexia/bulimia/pnd it did nothing. If your in the early stages It can be great but it depends on a lot.

#23 Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Beginner

....you're against....putting chemicals...in your body? You know pure water is a chemical, right?

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#24 Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Carley, what's pnd?

#25 Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Carley, what's pnd?

post natal depression or postpartum depression in the usa

#26 Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

....you're against....putting chemicals...in your body? You know pure water is a chemical, right?

good question

not all chemicals are bad, it really depends what it is and what it is for.

#27 Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

Big difference between pure water and pharmaceuticals or even OTC drugs. Watch a drug commercial. The potential side effects are often worse than the disease.
#28 Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK420 View Post

And this kids, is why we have medicinal marijuana (unfortunately not in the UK yet, where people are still arrested for simply medicating their horrible medical conditions with it).

Agreed. I don't smoke often, but with any medicine, I tend to have more faith in it if it grows from the earth vs. being made in a lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I tried that but for when I had severe anorexia/bulimia/pnd it did nothing. If your in the early stages It can be great but it depends on a lot.

I haven't been on that one for a long time, but right now I'm using it to help me with nicotine withdrawal. Seems to be helping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page