VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Nutritional yeast 2 (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/126351-nutritional-yeast-2-a.html)

ebonyvegetarian 06-16-2011 12:45 PM

Ok what should I try it on? I got I little tiny bit in the bulk area at foods for living.

Sevenseas 06-16-2011 12:49 PM

Nutritional Yeast 2 - The Return of Nutritional Yeast

AspireToInspire 06-16-2011 12:59 PM

I would say to try sprinkling it on broccoli or roasted veggies, in wraps and on sandwiches, pizza, pasta, salad, possibilities are endless. Once I realized I liked it, it just became part of my food prep routine before I sit down to eat.

Mrs. T 06-16-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Nutritional Yeast 2 - The Return of Nutritional Yeast

NOOOOO!!!

Mrs. T 06-16-2011 01:19 PM

I like this stuff. Mix it with some refried beans and salsa and you got nacho dip. Also good on tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12238.0

Empty_Shell 06-16-2011 03:34 PM

If you get the really good stuff, I say try snorting it.

Mojo 06-16-2011 03:37 PM

Putting a little nutritional yeast on steamed broccoli or cauliflower is a great way to add flavor. I love it on both of those. Popcorn is another classic.

But make sure it is nutritional yeast you are sprinkling and not brewers yeast. Very different tastes. Brewers yeast is more bitter.

Herbivorous B.I.G. 06-16-2011 03:40 PM

Hey, here's a great recipe:

1) Sprinkle nutritional yeast on anything.

2) Take whatever you sprinkled nutritional yeast on and throw it in the garbage. Because now it's ruined.

WonderRandy 06-16-2011 08:45 PM

Here are a bajillion (okay, ONLY 93) other threads on Nutritional Yeast. There are lots of ideas in them...

https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/se...archid=1067682

SonicEarth 06-16-2011 08:50 PM

Use sparingly. Its got a very strong flavor and if you use too much it will overpower your food. That being said, I ususally use a 1/4 tsp when making tofu scramble. Great source of B vitamins.

mlp 06-16-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

2) Take whatever you sprinkled nutritional yeast on and throw it in the garbage. Because now it's ruined.

Made me laugh, even though I use nutritional yeast a lot. I don't just sprinkle it on anything though - I use it in cooking. But then, I already went into that in the first thread, and don't feel like repeating myself.

ebonyvegetarian 06-17-2011 09:40 AM

I'm going to make a vegan pizza today. Do I sprinkle it before or after cooking? And when u say on popcorn, do u mean old fashioned natural popcorn or can I do microwaved too?

creep 06-17-2011 09:54 AM

cheeze skauce

*AHIMSA* 06-17-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

Use sparingly. Its got a very strong flavor and if you use too much it will overpower your food. That being said, I ususally use a 1/4 tsp when making tofu scramble. Great source of B vitamins.

1/4 tsp? That's barely a pinch! We eat it by the tablespoon here, heaps of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

People either LOVE it or hate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

I'm going to make a vegan pizza today. Do I sprinkle it before or after cooking? And when u say on popcorn, do u mean old fashioned natural popcorn or can I do microwaved too?

*AHIMSA* 06-17-2011 10:40 AM

On my iTouch and couldn't scroll, so I'll say this here: it can be put on and in anything before or after serving, while cooking etc.

GhostUser 06-19-2011 01:44 PM

Actually to the person who said it's a great source of B vitamins, all I can say is read your label. I've got some in the cupboard that contains no B vitamins and barely any iron, but it's called nutritional yeast. And in doing a search online for which brand does have B12, I think the only one mentioned was Red 'something-or-other', can't remember but the point is that not all nutritional yeasts are, nutritional that is.

Empty_Shell 06-19-2011 01:59 PM

I know that Nutritional yeast in Germany doesn't have B12 (well, it's not listed on the label, at least). KAL and Red Star in the US have B12.

ashlend 06-19-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

1/4 tsp? That's barely a pinch! We eat it by the tablespoon here, heaps of it!

I do, too. My tofu scramble recipe calls for 1/4 CUP!

I only use Red Star.

Nishani 06-20-2011 09:40 AM

Each to her/his/it's own of course, but I think that just sprinkling nooch on stuff isn't really getting the best out if it.

WonderRandy 06-20-2011 01:02 PM

a little sprinkle is nice for flavor. big heaping gobs of it make me happy...

Dave in MPLS 06-21-2011 01:24 AM

Hey, if you microwave popcorn get one of these deals: http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-60...8640377&sr=8-1

The stuff in bags is 1) really pricey and 2) uses pretty nasty chemicals

You want the nooch (nutritional yeast) to stick, so spritz it a couple times with cooking spray (or with a spray bottle filled with oil - a nifty little gadget called a Misto is handy for this).

I'm craving popcorn now ... sprinkled with a blend of nooch, cumin, and cayenne ...

I figure another 5,000 or so servings and I'll finally use up the pounds of nooch I have

ebonyvegetarian 06-22-2011 09:04 PM

i buy natural whole grain pop corn