Happy happy vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

So my husband and I went to our favorite restaurant in town today. I've been kind of dancing around going to this place for the past few months since going vegan, since their menu is very animal product centered on the whole (they do always have a vegetarian option, which changes seasonally, but it often has cheese in it.)

So we went in and I told them I'd gone vegan. The waitress said "Oh hold on, let me get you the vegan menu." !!!! Turns out they have an ENTIRE SEPARATE veggie/vegan menu that you have to ask for. I can't believe I didn't know about this for the past year. It has like 7-8 entrees on it, a few have cheese and a few don't, but all can be made vegan upon request.

This is seriously like the best thing that's happened to me in a month. To know I can go to this place and not have to worry about what to order is amazing. Next goal: to get them to start handing out the veggie/vegan menu to ALL customers, along with the regular menu, as a matter of routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Great!!!

They really should advertise...

I normally keep my veganism to myself, and just try to find some thing on the menu I can either have straight out, or only make one change. i.e... "I'd like a number 4... but without cheese." etc... I normally don't tell the staff I'm vegan... so I'd never see that special menu.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Great!!!

They really should advertise...

I normally keep my veganism to myself, and just try to find some thing on the menu I can either have straight out, or only make one change. i.e... "I'd like a number 4... but without cheese." etc... I normally don't tell the staff I'm vegan... so I'd never see that special menu.

I'm the exact same way usually, which is why going back to this restaurant was such a nail-biter for me. The place is like 10 minutes from our house (walking, not driving!) and we used to love going there when I was lacto-ovo, so the issue kind of had to be dealt with eventually. But had I known it would be so easy, I definitely would have been back much sooner!! I'm definitely going to speak to them about it and let them know how awesome this is, and that it needs to be publicized a lot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

that is great....my hubby usually blows me in right away in a new restaurant.....I don't care, then it doesn't look I'm trying to be the picky one! Today we ate out, and I wanted the eggplant parm without the cheese, and I asked if the sauce had meat it in, and the waitress said it did, my hubby said, "oh she's vegan..." and the waitress said, "we can make it with the marinara sauce instead!"... Score for me!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

that is great....my hubby usually blows me in right away in a new restaurant.....I don't care, then it doesn't look I'm trying to be the picky one! Today we ate out, and I wanted the eggplant parm without the cheese, and I asked if the sauce had meat it in, and the waitress said it did, my hubby said, "oh she's vegan..." and the waitress said, "we can make it with the marinara sauce instead!"... Score for me!

I've totally thought about ordering eggplant parm minus cheese before, but felt too weird about it Thanks, you've inspired me... btw my dinner tonight was a veggie coconut curry with basmati rice and a beer... yum!
#6 Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should ask them to put a sign on the door saying they have a vegan menu available?

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#7 Old 06-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

wow how awesome! I went to a vegetarian southern indian resturaunt once, and looked over the menu and got ready with my I'm-vegan-can-I-ask-about-some-ingrediants-please speech and the guy said "Oh we have a vegan menu, let me go get it for you" and I was like WOW yes please! It's so much easier.

#8 Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I go to a chinese restaurant that has a whole vegan menu also. The only way I knew about it was from reading reviews on Yelp.com. It's cool that places have an entire special vegan menu but they really need to advertise it!!
#9 Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

That is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

btw my dinner tonight was a veggie coconut curry with basmati rice and a beer... yum!

#10 Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've totally thought about ordering eggplant parm minus cheese before, but felt too weird about it Thanks, you've inspired me... btw my dinner tonight was a veggie coconut curry with basmati rice and a beer... yum!

I would think that eggplant parmesan would definitely use egg (and possibly dairy too) in the batter, but you'd have to ask to be sure.
#11 Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

What a nice surprise. A few restaurants do that where I live too.
#12 Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I would think that eggplant parmesan would definitely use egg (and possibly dairy too) in the batter, but you'd have to ask to be sure.

Yeah, traditional eggplant Parm definitely uses egg in it.

"You know I'm a radical."
#13 Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, true. I didn't even think about the egg thing. I'll have to make myself something similar at home
#14 Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

This is awesome! Congrats. GO BACK!! What did you get, btw?
#15 Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I got the veggie coconut curry with basmati rice. It was yummy! That was the first thing on the vegan menu -- I'll just work my way through all of them
#16 Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great! Now I'm jealous.
#17 Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I got the veggie coconut curry with basmati rice. It was yummy! That was the first thing on the vegan menu -- I'll just work my way through all of them

Oh, i'm sorry, you posted that. I thought it was a quote from someone else, what they had for dinner.
#18 Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Thats fantastic! what a great surprise!!

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#19 Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

deleted

#20 Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

That's awesome!!!!
I hate when places make the vegan menu a secret. They're only losing business by doing this.

Seriously! I mean if I had known about this before, we'd have been there several times in the last few months for sure. We love the place and normally go there at least once a month, but I was too nervous about going back because I hate having to make special requests.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page