Food that SHOULD be vegan, and ALMOST is, but isn't! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Beginner

This is a major pet peeve of mine. To explain what I mean, I'll give you an example: Trader Joe's Roasted Veggie Pizza. A meatless, cheeseless pizza. I mean, the number of people who want to buy a meatless and cheeseless pizza can't be that large, and vegans undoubtedly make up a significant portion of them (if not an outright majority). And yet this pizza has honey in it! This kind of situation always frustrates me, and it just doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint even, to offer such a specific product, but then eliminate a large portion of a relatively small consumer base by adding a non-vegan ingredient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Yes, I have thought about this. How stupid, 'cause the people buying it already would probably keep buying it minus the honey or whatever, and then hardcore vegans would also start buying it. There's a lot of stuff like that. I imagine someone on the R&D team at a company getting it right, then snorting coke in the bathroom and then deciding to do something crazy . " Lets throw some egg or honey or whey in there so nobody thinks we're too extreme".
#3 Old 06-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Planter's dry roasted sunflower kernels....

When I was in Naples back in January visiting hubby (we were house hunting) he stopped at a little convenience store (the only store for miles where we were looking) to get water and something to snack on. I couldn't find anything so settled for sunflower kernels but didn't read the ingredients as I didn't think sunflower kernels would be anything but vegan... WRONG!

We got back in the car and I ate a few. Something didn't taste quite right so I checked the back of the jar and spouted off some ugly words. I couldn't believe there was gelatin (natural flavoring too which we know is usually suspect)..... Taught me a lesson to always check ingredients first.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

T.J.'s cheeseless pizza came to my mind when I saw the title! I saw it, got happy, still read the ingrediants, put in oven, read ingrediants again because it seemed strange to not call it vegan-------honey
That tops my list, followed by dry roasted peanuts that have gelatin, bread and bread crumbs, vegetable soups with animal broths...

I noticed a drug store display for omega dha. The jar made a big point of them being a vegetarian source - from algae. Ingrediants-gelatin, and carmine!
Anything that reads "vegetarian" that isn't all vegetarian.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 06-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

I hate things like this! I agree with Silva about the veggie soups with animal broths. One brand has a vegetable line of canned soups. I don't remember what the brand is but I think the line is something like "vegetable classics" or "simply vegetables". In my first or second week of going vegan, I stocked up on these soups. Two of these were a French Onion soup and Minestrone that I got. I've never had French Onion soup before, so I didn't know it often has animal products and should've looked at the ingredients first, but the Minestrone was labeled "vegetable minestrone" and was next to a product from the same company labeled simply "Minestrone", so I assumed the vegetable version was a veggie version, but I took it home and it ended up having beef broth as one of the main ingredients! I think the French onion also had some animal broth or stock in addition to the dairy products, too.
#6 Old 06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginner

I actually bought a couple of the TJ's pizzas before noticing the honey. I'm not that mad about it, it's my fault for not reading more closely and I decided to just go ahead and eat them, but now I do not want to buy anymore, even though they were good. They're such a good deal, too... Only $3.99, when an Amy's Pizza would be closer to 7 or 8 bucks for the same amount of food.

And yes, soup! I knew I was forgetting something major when I made this thread. Vegetable soup should at least be vegetarian! Kind of ridiculous that Campbell's actually has to have a separate vegetable soup for veg*ns...
#7 Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I think the French onion also had some animal broth or stock in addition to the dairy products, too.

Unfortunately, stock from cow bones is always the base for traditional FOS. Most all traditional vegetable soups contain some animal ingredients, whether it's stock/broth as a base or a cheese rind for flavoring. Just the frugal history of this dish.

Keep on freepin' on

#8 Old 06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Amy's has some products that drive me crazy! Soy cheese pizza with milk in it, tofu lasagna with milk in it, soy macaroni and cheese with milk in it, argh!

Amy's has a huge vegan customer base and a lot of their products are specifically labeled as vegan, I don't see why it's so hard to remove the dairy from their soy products. As it is the only people who want them are lactose intolerant, they're missing out on a lot of business and annoying me.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwheatonfan View Post

This is a major pet peeve of mine. To explain what I mean, I'll give you an example: Trader Joe's Roasted Veggie Pizza. A meatless, cheeseless pizza. I mean, the number of people who want to buy a meatless and cheeseless pizza can't be that large, and vegans undoubtedly make up a significant portion of them (if not an outright majority). And yet this pizza has honey in it! This kind of situation always frustrates me, and it just doesn't make sense to me from a business standpoint even, to offer such a specific product, but then eliminate a large portion of a relatively small consumer base by adding a non-vegan ingredient.

Maybe they just wanted to make the beegans feel special. Either that or they're completely insane. Yeah, that's it. They must be insane.
#10 Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

soy macaroni and cheese with milk in it, argh!

Luckily, their rice mac and soy cheese is vegan. So good.

But yeah, it's annoying.
#11 Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost had a perfect brunch this morning.

Went to a local place, and was super happy to see a tofu scramble on the menu. I was so excited for a scramble and some breakfast-y potatoes. I asked if the potatoes were vegan, and the waitress says, "Well, almost...they have a tiny bit of cheddar cheese powder in them." If it's that tiny, why bother? Grrr.

I can't really complain, though - I had some really good sweet potato fries instead.
#12 Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, yes!!! This is really annoying...

And as has been said, stupid: they're only losing customers by doing it. From candies with gelatin, to soy chicken nuggets with egg white in them... it really doesn't make sense. The vegetarians, etc. won't care if these ingredients are removed, and we won't eat the stuff if they're there, so why not make some changes?

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#13 Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Beginner

B I g I'm surprises your waitress knew what vegan meant

I used to avoid soy but ill consume a little if its organic and fermented lol
#14 Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

B I g I'm surprises your waitress knew what vegan meant

Yeah, I normally would be, too, but I was at a pretty veg*n-friendly place.

It was really nice that she knew that info off the top of her head. Usually, servers have to go ask somebody in the kitchen about stuff like that.
#15 Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM

I had these sunflower seeds I was using for a slaw the other day, and I grabbed a handful and put it in my mouth then started to read the ingredients (out of habit) Contained Gelatin. Pissed me off. What in the Hell is the point of that?

"There's three sides to every story. There's one side, the other side and then there's the truth."
#16 Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing I HATE the only soy cheese we have (our capital city is 4 hours away) has a milk protein in it!!!!!!!!

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#17 Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive mentioned this before, but theres a pizza place near me that has the option of cheesly vegan cheese. It says "Vegan and vegetarian society approved dairy free cheese" on the menu, in big letters. With a nice small notice saying "please see special conditions". You look at the small print at the bottom of the menu, and it says "although cheesly is vegan approved, our pizza bases contain fresh pasteurised milk". WHAT? why even bother?! At least they tell you I guess - but I feel sorry for the lactose intolerant who didnt see the small print.
#18 Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetable soups... I was looking for a few cans for those days when I am sick/want an easy meal. I found only 1 can of soup that didn't have either meat broth or cream in it! Ridiculous considering vegetable soup DOES NOT NEED meat stock in it. I just don't get it. Meat eaters buying veggie soup are not going to care whether it has meat stock or not. GARGH
#19 Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Cereal, except they HAVE to use d3 instead of d2.

All we are is dust in the wind
#20 Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

Amy's "faux cheese" pizza, with soy cheese. 99.999999% of the ingredients are vegan, except some casein extract... sigh. At least Amy's has that cheeseless one.
#21 Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Ive mentioned this before, but theres a pizza place near me that has the option of cheesly vegan cheese. It says "Vegan and vegetarian society approved dairy free cheese" on the menu, in big letters. With a nice small notice saying "please see special conditions". You look at the small print at the bottom of the menu, and it says "although cheesly is vegan approved, our pizza bases contain fresh pasteurised milk". WHAT? why even bother?! At least they tell you I guess - but I feel sorry for the lactose intolerant who didnt see the small print.

That's awful. Isn't that false advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Amy's "faux cheese" pizza, with soy cheese. 99.999999% of the ingredients are vegan, except some casein extract... sigh. At least Amy's has that cheeseless one.

This one doesn't contain casein.http://www.amyskitchen.com/products/.../pizzas/000266
#22 Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Minute Maid Ruby Red Grapfruit juice contains Cochineal Extract. Lots of Kashi products are out of our reach because Kashi is in love with honey. And lots of soups that contain pasta use eggs in the pasta. However, most dry pasta does not contain eggs. I have seen quite a few that would be vegan if they made that little change. Lastly, I have seen a vitamin that was vegan in every way except it contained bee pollen. What does pollen do for us?
#23 Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's completely ridicuolous. Why go to all that effort??
#24 Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Minute Maid Ruby Red Grapfruit juice contains Cochineal Extract. Lots of Kashi products are out of our reach because Kashi is in love with honey. And lots of soups that contain pasta use eggs in the pasta. However, most dry pasta does not contain eggs. I have seen quite a few that would be vegan if they made that little change. Lastly, I have seen a vitamin that was vegan in every way except it contained bee pollen. What does pollen do for us?

What??? No!!! I just had a tall glass of that juice this morning!!!

Yeah, it is a shame about Kashi. Most cereals have little nutritional value. Just sugar, flour, a bunch of air, and some vitamins. Kashi cereals would be SO good for you, but they are out of reach because of the honey. You know, most people can't even taste a difference between honey and sugar. Sugar would be cheaper.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#25 Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a food, but on a Kiss My Face product (can't remember what it was now... some shampoo or something) I remember reading the ingredients and seeing "Honey". They claim to use non-animal-source ingredients, but had to put honey in there. I've never seen any of their other products use honey, why did they have to use it then? I've been a little suspicious of them ever since.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#26 Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've recently become aware of THREE veggie and eggless pizza places near to where I live. I've still not actually been to any of them, but it probably wouldn't have occured to me to ask about the pizza bases. I'll be extra vigilent when I *finally* make it to one of these places.
#27 Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

What??? No!!! I just had a tall glass of that juice this morning!!!

Yeah, it is a shame about Kashi. Most cereals have little nutritional value. Just sugar, flour, a bunch of air, and some vitamins. Kashi cereals would be SO good for you, but they are out of reach because of the honey. You know, most people can't even taste a difference between honey and sugar. Sugar would be cheaper.

I think the GoLean Crisp cereals are honey-free, or at least the toasted berry kind I had appeared to be. However, Kashi cereals massively upset my stomach, and just make me feel crappy in general. I've replaced them with Nature's Path.
#28 Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM

veggie slices. they say on the front that they're a soy based cheese on the front and they're called VEGGIE slices, but if you read the back they contain casein. why go through the trouble of making a soy based cheese if your still going to put dairy in it??
#29 Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyliza View Post

veggie slices. they say on the front that they're a soy based cheese on the front and they're called VEGGIE slices, but if you read the back they contain casein. why go through the trouble of making a soy based cheese if your still going to put dairy in it??

This. Bus seriously, Daiya is the best vegan "cheeze" I've ever had. Not sure where you're located, but they're based in Canada and distribute it the US as well.

Also annoys me when milk is added to random stuff that doesn't need it.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#30 Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

And it's sooooo good.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page