I give up on all of humanity... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

So today I was driving to starbucks and there was a McDonalds nearby. Outside the Micky D's there were 2 or 3 people protesting; holding signs up with dead cows and chickens. One of the arguments on behalf of the meat eaters is ignorance; the fact that many of them don't know what really goes on behind the curtains. But here, the protestors were showing everything, but there was a full parking lot, and about 10 cars in the drive thru line. I've come to a conclusion: Most people just don't give a s**t.

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of people really just don't. A while ago one of my flatmates was telling me about similar people outside McDonalds in Leicester Square with total disdain. He actually said to me 'I mean, why do they bother? No one cares about that ****'. Which was kind of weird, he knows full well that I do.
#3 Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Someone cares. Some people will look and listen. And one person listening, might may several others listen. And so the world turns.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't give up hope for all humanity just yet... even if the message reaches one person, it has succeeded. As River said, that one may reach others who weren't there.
#5 Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

Don't give up hope for all humanity just yet... even if the message reaches one person, it has succeeded. As River said, that one may reach others who weren't there.

But I just don't get it. How can you see those graphic pictures of dead animals, then just continue to eat them?

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
#6 Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

But I just don't get it. How can you see those graphic pictures of dead animals, then just continue to eat them?

Not everyone values the same thing.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Not everyone values the same thing.

Many people have gotten so used to disconnecting those images from their "food" that even when it slaps them in the face, they still deny what they're seeing. From experience with my family and friends, I've found that they feel "life's too short" to worry about anything but themselves and their own pleasure... and they associate meat with pleasure not realizing how much more pleasurable food can really be.
#8 Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

You don't need faith in humanity, as long as you keep an open mind that any given individual you might meet isn't necessarily going to fit your view. I lost faith in humanity at the age of twelve, and while plenty of people tried to pressure me into changing my mind, and tried to make me feel like I was a bad person for thinking as I do, in all the years since, I have rarely been disappointed, and often pleasantly surprised.

If this is the honest conclusion you come to in the face of overwhelming evidence, don't let other people make you feel badly about it. Just don't let it completely close your mind.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

I gave up on humanity yonks ago tbh.
#10 Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Because it's just a dumb animal. If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat? We have The Dominion. Get over it.

^^^ That's what the people who just don't care about animal suffering would tell you.
#11 Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned

Some people believe in the "if slaughterhouses had glass walls" thing, but I don't. I think it's just a matter of time before there's a TV reality show along the lines of "Celebrity Slaughterhouse Worker", where each week a different celebrity works a day in a slaughterhouse and while most viewers would consider it gross, they'd still find it funny. I can just see Paris Hilton fumbling with a captive bolt gun and plenty of laughing.
#12 Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Most people, quite simply, are desensitized to it. My last boyfriend did maintenance at a slaughterhouse way before we met, and still, at least 50% of what went into his mouth was meat. Which worried me for his health, at the time I hadn't even gone vegetarian yet but at least I was trying to cut down on the meat. He constantly complained about being constipated. I wonder why.
#13 Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Ira
Banned

i gave up on humanity long time ago. but i must say that a lot of people may react on it after many times of seeing it. i was a meat eater for a long time too and i was just passing those protesters and ignoring info i saw. because i simply had the idea that it is nature, it is a necessity and people who are against it don't know better. and yet one day it hit me. so while i don't think humans as a whole will make a change any time soon, a lot of those individuals still might get it soon enough
#14 Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

I was exposed to info about this a few years ago but only made the switch last March. In my mind, I had justifications like maybe they're showing an extreme example that's the worst of the meat industry, I feel malnourished without meat, etc.

In short, I think the key to converting more people is exposing the truth about what the animals go through, but not without combining it with examples of easy vegan meals and information about how much better it is for human health. For one, people who have been vegan for at least 20 years live 15 years longer than meateaters on average.
#15 Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of humanity either. But I too have the hope that perhaps one person (or more) may make the connection. I still applaud those who do the protesting. I don't think it's in vain.
#16 Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLoveKnit View Post

Many people have gotten so used to disconnecting those images from their "food" that even when it slaps them in the face, they still deny what they're seeing. From experience with my family and friends, I've found that they feel "life's too short" to worry about anything but themselves and their own pleasure... and they associate meat with pleasure not realizing how much more pleasurable food can really be.

unfortunately, I find this to be true too....most people don't care where their food comes from, or how it was treated.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#17 Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Dissociation. A dead animal doesn't seem to equal a hamburger to some people. I mean, in a sense we all thought that way at one point or another. Aside from the life long vegans, of course.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#18 Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

but i must say that a lot of people may react on it after many times of seeing it. i was a meat eater for a long time too and i was just passing those protesters and ignoring info i saw. because i simply had the idea that it is nature, it is a necessity and people who are against it don't know better. and yet one day it hit me. so while i don't think humans as a whole will make a change any time soon, a lot of those individuals still might get it soon enough

I was 24 when it finally hit me. Different things work for different people. I had an epiphany when I was watching an ant on a windowsill. He kept trying to pull something that was way too big. The ant would try, start pulling, lose his grip and sort of stumble. He kept going back, though! I never ate meat again after that and I never will.
#19 Old 06-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

The thread to help regain faith in humanity:

https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/showthread.php?120900-Feedback-on-AR-Video-posted-on-Facebook

At this rate, we should have a veg*n world within just a few years.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
#20 Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Inside every person is a better person, and inside every better person is a vegan. Every single one.

Tam! RUGH!
#21 Old 06-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Humanity can be defined as: the quality of being humane; kindness; benevolence. I can see where it would be hard to have faith in humans who can't live up to what they are supposed to be.
#22 Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I've come to a conclusion: Most people just don't give a s**t.

Personally I don't think I'd really pay attention to anyone standing in a carpark waving signs, regardless of what business it was, or what was on the signs.

If I was where I would be, then I'd be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot.
#23 Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Dissociation.

Yes, this and compartmentalisation.
#24 Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Beginner

I recently read a very interesting book called Fast Food Nation. It tracks the history of all the major fast food chains in the USA, including Mcdonalds, etc. While the book is 10 yrs old, it get's into the inhumane treatment of the animals used in their meat products. After what I read in the book, I've boycotted Mcd's for their anti-union, but more importantly inhumane treatment of the animals used in their food. The problem these days, is that people look at the end product of the meat on the grocery shelves, and totally ignore the process of how it got there and where it came from.
#25 Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leth View Post

Personally I don't think I'd really pay attention to anyone standing in a carpark waving signs, regardless of what business it was, or what was on the signs.

And yet something, somewhere obviously got your attention and moved you away from meat eating. What was it?

Tam! RUGH!
#26 Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Beginner

I don't know what's worse, a person who tries to avoid gaining any knowledge of the meat industry because it makes them feel bad for eating meat, or someone who genuinely doesn't give a **** about animals.

"The reason that people are not vegetarian for the most part is convenience. That is it. They are raised in a society where it's so easy not to be a vegetarian."
- Ian Mackaye
#27 Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK420 View Post

I don't know what's worse, a person who tries to avoid gaining any knowledge of the meat industry because it makes them feel bad for eating meat, or someone who genuinely doesn't give a **** about animals.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'd say the second one is worse. People who don't care about animals at all are probably never going to change their minds. A person who likes animals but wants to remain ignorant about how they are treated may eventually realize how absurd that is and go veg*n some day.

Of course, some people will want to remain ignorant forever which I agree is pretty ridiculous.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#28 Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Each person might have different myths that they cling to to help them believe they shouldn't bother.
"Animals don't feel pain."
"Veg*nism isn't healthy."
"I won't be able to get my protein."
"I can't be a bodybuilder and be veg*n."
"We were meant to eat meat."

And some of them really just do. not. care.

Hopefully it'll change someday.
#29 Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

And yet something, somewhere obviously got your attention and moved you away from meat eating. What was it?

I don't know if it was anything specific, probably more a "straw that broke the camels back" sorta thing. One day I just realised that I had more misgivings about eating meat than reasons to eat it so I stopped.

That said, my first post was probably a bit harsh. I'll amend the statement: I don't think you should expect someone to make an instantaneous decision to change their eating habits based on protesters in a carpark. You might make them think though, and that's a good thing.

If I was where I would be, then I'd be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot.
#30 Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leth View Post

I don't know if it was anything specific, probably more a "straw that broke the camels back" sorta thing. One day I just realised that I had more misgivings about eating meat than reasons to eat it so I stopped.

That said, my first post was probably a bit harsh. I'll amend the statement: I don't think you should expect someone to make an instantaneous decision to change their eating habits based on protesters in a carpark. You might make them think though, and that's a good thing.

I've absolutely seen people change in an instant before, though. Maybe different things work for different people but I've seen nearly a couple of dozen people pledge to make changes based on a simple pamphlet before, and that's just my own limited experience. I regularly talk to people who have witnessed this literally thousands of times.

Tam! RUGH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page