Piercings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Beginner

I'm getting a piercing for my birthday, my first one as a vegan (and as an adult! My ears were done at six months). Is there any part of the process that contains animal products?

That may sound like a silly question, but any generally recommended aftercare products to watch out for or anything? People sneak animal products into the darndest places.

Edit: Naval piercing, if that's relevant, at a place that doubles as a tattoo parlour (dunno if that makes any difference).

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure about animal products in aftercare, but I am wary of getting a piercing at a tattoo parlour. Do they have a good reputation?
#3 Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Beginner

Yes. What's wrong with tattoo parlours? It's not where I had mine done, but a friend of mine was tattooed there and another was pierced, and they both recommend it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen a piercing place that didnt also do tattoos. Most places will use vasaline for a piercing but other than that its a vegan process I'm pretty sure.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#5 Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. All my piercing that have been totally trouble free have been done in a place that specialized in piercings. They sold clothing and jewellery and did piercings and that was it. The few times I have got a piercing in a tattoo joint, they were a bugger to heal and one had to be taken out as they used those plastic labret plates and cut it too short and didn't allow for swelling.

What are the normal aftercare products recommended?
#6 Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

I have no idea, s'why I asked.;p

Is vaseline not vegan, vegansarawr?

#7 Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only ever used soap and water and perhaps mouthwash for an oral piercing. Never heard of vaseline being used.
#8 Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not sure about animal products in aftercare, but I am wary of getting a piercing at a tattoo parlour. Do they have a good reputation?

I don't know about the UK or Australia (where I notice each of you live), but in the US, tattoo parlors are actually the best place to get pierced. They are well-regulated by the state, and the people there are professionals, unlike those who do it in the kiosks in malls and such.

In regards to the OP, if you don't trust any aftercare soap that the piercing place gives you, you could always try to find a vegan variety of anti-microbial soap. And sea-salt solution is vegan automatically. I can't remember if they use alcohol wipes or iodine before the actual piercing (I think alcohol), but that should be vegan. I really can't imagine anything besides that aftercare soap that might be not vegan.
#9 Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Dormouse, I would never get a piercing in a kiosk or a mall. The piercer I use is also skilled in scarification, branding and implants.
#10 Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM

http://www.punkmedics.com/store/pier...care-c-70.html
this is wear i get my ear stretching balm from. might be of some help. all of their stuff is vegan.
#11 Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sea salt and warm water soaks twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

Is vaseline not vegan, vegansarawr?

I'm pretty sure its tested on animals

#12 Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I'm pretty sure so too, but if you want vaseline like the lip stuff (they also do handcreams and things), superdrug in the UK do a vegan version.

You can just use salt-water, sometimes they give you (or reccomend you buy) saline solution. Tattoo places are generally good places to go to get peirced (much better than a clothes shop or something!) and it's usually worth paying extra for (I got an ear peircing in blue bannana - the shame! - because it was cheap and it never healed properly, and it was wonkey, and just not done how it should be at all... it was really silly).

Goodluck!
#13 Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't mean I got a piercing in a clothing store.

http://www.puncture.com.au/about.html
#14 Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

^I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but I wasn't suggesting you did. I understood what you said. I was just discussing the sort of places you can get piercings in the UK.
#15 Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I had my navel pierced years ago, but I wasn't vegan then... however, I may still be able to help.

In the uk, they'll normally recommend savlon for aftercare (or something similar). This is what I was using:

http://www.savlon.co.uk/products/ant...woundwash.html

I have no idea if it's vegan or not, and I don't have my bottle to check - but as it's an antiseptic wound wash, I'm sure a little research will lead you to a vegan version, and you can just double-check with your piercer that it's fit for purpose. Other than that part of the process, I can't think of much that wouldn't be vegan... they clean the area beforehand, which may or may not be done with a vegan product, then it's clamp, needle, jewellery, and off you go. Clean twice a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

^ I'm pretty sure so too, but if you want vaseline like the lip stuff (they also do handcreams and things), superdrug in the UK do a vegan version.

I've still got a few little tubs. I haven't bought vaseline in years, and it keeps forever.

(I can't afford to replace all my stuff, so I use my non-veg*n stuff till it's gone, then replace it with a vegan version).

#17 Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

I've still got a few little tubs. I haven't bought vaseline in years, and it keeps forever.

(I can't afford to replace all my stuff, so I use my non-veg*n stuff till it's gone, then replace it with a vegan version).

Fair enough, just thought I'd let you know, for when/if you need some more. (I swear lip balmy stuff is addictive though, I'm like permenantly attatched to mine, the more I use it the quicker my lips dry!) I still have pre-vegan stuff too, I didn't have a burning urge to get rid of them or anything! I too just use it up and replace it with a vegan version.
#18 Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

The only aftercare you should need is unscented soap and water... maybe sea salt, if you're having crusty issues.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#19 Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

^^

Yep, I just used Normal Saline. All that other stuff like Savlon and Vaseline are old-school remedies that can be damaging to wounds.

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I've only ever used saline, because soap can dry the piercing out... but it seems like a lot of piercers do recommend soap. Whatevs.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#21 Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Or tea tree oil, thats what I use for after care.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#22 Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I only use tea tree oil when its getting infected or looking really swollen. Its harsher oil.
I used 1 drop of pure tea tree oil in the sea salt water solution.
Also I didn't mean use vasaline as after care I meant the piercer will put vasaline on the needle to do the piercing.
And both the soaps recommended for after care (olay and dove) are not vegan, but i used nature's gate hemp body wash and it worked quite well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page