My Medicine has Lactose in it - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Beginner

...and I'm still taking it. It's a week-long course of antibiotics for an infection.

This isn't life-threatening infection, just a very uncomfortable one, and the amount of lactose consumed is minuscule. That's not really the point though - the point is, I'm knowingly and willingly consuming animal products.

How do other vegans handle non-vegan medicine? Are there often alternatives available? Is medicine the one exception, for some people?

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think medication is the one exception vegans will make. After all meds are ALWAYS tested on animals so its never vegan. But your health is important, and the exception is made for medications that are needed, like the kind you are taking. Not for things like advil ect.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#3 Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

There isn't a viable alternative to taking prescribed medication, so as far as I am concerned it's a good thing to take it, and to look after your health properly.

I think the best way to approach the unethical nature of medical animal testing would be to fund research into alternative methods, or protest against it/gather support against it. I don't believe avoiding the products would ever really work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

i would assume there would be lactose free antibiotics since so many people are lactose intolerant. have you asked your doctor if there is something else you could take?
but if there isn't an alternative to a medicine you don't really have a choice other than staying sick or dying
#5 Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i would assume there would be lactose free antibiotics since so many people are lactose intolerant. have you asked your doctor if there is something else you could take?
but if there isn't an alternative to a medicine you don't really have a choice other than staying sick or dying

I didn't; I didn't realise they contained lactose until today, and I only need to take them until Saturday.

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#6 Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Unfortunately most medications do. Worse are the gelatine capsules. They make me nauseated. As far as I'm aware the lactose is an incredibly minute amount.

And the only thing I can say it's a necessary evil. Ill vegans can't look after animals as well as they could if the vegans were well.
#7 Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the ways you can sometimes get animal-free meds is to request liquid formulations (sometimes they have bits too). If you have to take antibiotics in the future, you might try this. Also, a good pharmacist will let you see an ingredients list ahead of time so that you can make an informed decision.

That said, I wouldn't sweat taking these tablets at all. What sort of statement for veganism can you make if you're ill/dead?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Take your medicine and don't beat yourself up about it. Agree with other posts that their are things you can't avoid. I've thought of this myself. My surgery was surely not vegan. The medications etc. But what choice did I have. Surgery or suffer.

It would never hurt in the future to ask about an alternative, but if you need to take the medication, take it.
#9 Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

One of the ways you can sometimes get animal-free meds is to request liquid formulations (sometimes they have bits too). If you have to take antibiotics in the future, you might try this. Also, a good pharmacist will let you see an ingredients list ahead of time so that you can make an informed decision.

That said, I wouldn't sweat taking these tablets at all. What sort of statement for veganism can you make if you're ill/dead?

I have done this, I get children's meds.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#10 Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I have done this, I get children's meds.

Me too. I can't swallow pills so I always ask for the liquid versions.
#11 Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

I don't have an answer, I am lucky in the fact that I have not gotten sick since going vegan. (which really speaks loudly of how good being a vegan with a very clean diet can be, with exercise of course.).

The only medical treatment I've received since going vegan was a tetanus booster a while ago. While at work I was getting something in the clean utility room (with rusty shelving...) and I slipped and got a pretty savage wound on my hand. I think the tetanus boosters I got when i was a child were made with beef broth, but as far as i know, the current booster for DPT is vegan. I didn't really think to ask because I was in mild shock staring at the wound, and they just sort of gave it to me because they assumed I had only got my last booster a while ago (which they were correct, it had been twelve years).
#12 Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If I need a medicine I take it. There's no such thing as cruelty free medicine. It's all tested on animals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Me too. I can't swallow pills so I always ask for the liquid versions.

same reason as my hubby.

#14 Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

If I need a medicine I take it. There's no such thing as cruelty free medicine. It's all tested on animals.

it's sad to think this is still true in 2011

#15 Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

If you need to take medicine, you need to take it. As a quote from Walter Bond, "Veganism isn't about perfection, it's about doing what you can"

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
#16 Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 PM

I had to make the same decision a couple of day ago, as I have an ongoing flu that is not going away. Had the first round of antibiotics 3 weeks ago, and now I am on the second one... Unfortunately I need them to get better, so I am taking them. Last year an ongoing cold turned into bronchitis, and i don't want to go through that again. I even asked the doctor, if the antibiotics could be avoided, and he said no... sucks

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#17 Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Why is the doc giving you antibiotics for the flu? (which is a virus) Is it preemptive to try and stave off the bronchitis?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Sorry IamJen, it was a mistake to call it the flu, the symptoms are flu/cold like, but he thinks it is a bacterial infection, that is why he has given me the antibiotics. And yes it has to do with my history of chest infections too.
Having said that, they are making my digestive system sick...I feel horrible after I have them. So even though I am supposed to take them 3 times a day, I have managed to take it only once today, and I am going to have to see him again

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#19 Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Oi, poor you. One of my sisters has some particular susceptibility to bronchitis too. Are they different antibiotics than you took the first time around? Sometimes that helps. (had to do this once when I couldn't kick Strep after like 10 weeks). I don't know if you've tried this already, but sometimes taking the antibiotics just a short while after you've had some food helps.

Hope you feel better soon! I wouldn't stress about the animal bits though at all. As someone mentioned earlier, it's about doing the best that you can.

#20 Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Thanks IamJen! Yes, they are different antibiotics, the first round were milder I think because them didn't affect my digestive system like this ones I have now. The new ones are much stronger. I do feel a lot better today, I think it must be all the different things I have been doing to get better, I do give some credit to the antibiotics too.
And yes, I have been taking them after food, cause I know an empty stomach is worse.

Cheers!

#21 Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

As a quote from Walter Bond, "Veganism isn't about perfection, it's about doing what you can"

I need to remember that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page