Irony :D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

So I went grocery shopping with my dad last night, and he ended up paying around $200 dollars for all my vegan food (lots of fruit, like 5 things of tofurkey ect.). In the car he's pretty pissed off. I ask him if he is upset with me being vegan, and he says yes. I ask why and he says, "Your diet is too restrictive and you are brainwashed. I laughed so hard.

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

$200!?!? Geez! I buy a good 30 pounds of fresh organic groceries and it comes out to $50 tops Oh, and yes... You've been brainwashed by me and Kimberlily
#3 Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! That's a lot! What are you buying, pine nuts-are you nuts? I imagine you're getting condiments, and things we normally only buy once in a while?
Please don't freak him out again, vegan is really cheaper.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd be pretty mad too if I was paying that for groceries...

Although the brainwashed thing is kinda funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm confused on how that's ironic?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#6 Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

$200 ??!! For how long? I don't even spend that much a month on food let alone in one trip to the store. Sorry but I would freak out a bit too. Actually I think I would probably cry if I ever had a food bill that high.

Vegan food is much cheaper . Maybe you could show him next shopping trip by showing him by getting non expensive things like beans/rice (which are usually around $1)? Plus being vegan is anything but restrictive. Honestly I find it overwhelming at times because there's just so many different varieties of foods and meals we could have and make. The possibilities seem endless!!
#7 Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Iceberg lettuce and cucumber! Whooo!!
#8 Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

My boyfriend and I pay wa-ay more than that for groceries (for two weeks), and it's really frustrating. We don't eat prepared foods, I make everything from scratch, but we can't get the bill down.
#9 Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow... I spend over $200 a month on groceries, but eating a good 2500 calories a day will do that I've never spent $200 in one go, though. I think $60 tops.
#10 Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Man! I know those processed foods can raise your bill a bit but Dang! $200!? I go to Sprouts farmers market and buy a two weeks worth of beans, herbs, vegetables, fruit and even if a add several packages of tofu, seitan or whatever my bill is still only $85 tops.

But I understand the angry dad part. Congratulations on being happily brainwashed, by the way. XD I don't live with my parents but my father is the type of right wing conservative that literally does whatever Rush Limbaugh tells him to do. (very similar to some liberals relationship with Oprah) And he HATES veg*ns, organic food, animal rights activists, atheists, Buddhists, pro-choicers, you name it. He used to love Ted Haggard... HA! XD Anyway... this just means I'm am occasionally refereed to (while in the same room) as the "bleeding heart liberal" or "egotistical tree-hugger".

It doesn't offend me. Just remember Dad, If irony was ice cream (vegan of course) we'd all be eating Sundays right now.

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such” - Anton Szandor LaVey
#11 Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Wow, that is a lot!! My family has five people, two are small, young, snacky children. We have spent $150 at the store, sometimes almost $200, but that's when we go at the beginning of the month to stock up for the whole month, and we don't just get food, we get everything we need for the whole entire month, all our supplies, so we don't have to go to the store later, and we buy everything in several bulk packages because my brothers and I can go through an industrial size costco package of snacks in a few days to a week most of the time, especially now that it's getting to summer and we're all home a lot and snacking. My parents get mad just buying me basic food necessities if it's something they won't eat, like legumes, vegetables, or fruits, so your dad is probably just frustrated about spending all that money and is taking it out on you becoming vegan.
#12 Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I spend over $200 in one grocery trip, but only when I'm stocking up on canned and dry packaged foods and stuff to go in the freezer. If I buy too many fresh fruits and veggies at once I end up wasting them.

You might want to think about thanking your dad for buying special food for you, if you haven't already. Ok, his attitude kinda sucks, but he still did a really nice thing.
#13 Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

I'm confused on how that's ironic?

Me too... :S

Plus...I dont think he was wrong to freak out...$200 for one person...Ridiculous.
#14 Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

You might want to think about thanking your dad for buying special food for you, if you haven't already. Ok, his attitude kinda sucks, but he still did a really nice thing.

^This. You seem to have a pretty great decent dad actually. I'm sure he's really frustrated that he spent all that money and that's why he was taking it out on your diet.

Think about if the situation were reversed. If you worked your butt off all week and spent $200 on meat/eggs/dairy for someone you might end up a wee bit annoyed also
#15 Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^This. You seem to have a pretty great decent dad actually. I'm sure he's really frustrated that he spent all that money and that's why he was taking it out on your diet.

Think about if the situation were reversed. If you worked your butt off all week and spent $200 on meat/eggs/dairy for someone you might end up a wee bit annoyed also

I know, and I thanked him. He knows I care. The irony is that he called me brainwashed, when all the meat eaters are brainwashed

#16 Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never spent that much on a single grocery trip--I rarely even hit the $100 mark. We average between $50 and $70.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#17 Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Everything wasnt vegan, and we are a family of five, and we go through food quick

#18 Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

I know, and I thanked him. He knows I care. The irony is that he called me brainwashed, when all the meat eaters are brainwashed

That's not quite irony...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok then, but your original post said he spent $200 on YOUR vegan food.
Personally I think the ironic part of this is that you resent being called brainwashed but youll happily call someone else that for their choices.
#20 Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Ok then, but your original post said he spent $200 on YOUR vegan food.
Personally I think the ironic part of this is that you resent being called brainwashed but youll happily call someone else that for their choices.

They are brainwashed by the animal products industry

#21 Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Missing my point...
#22 Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

You are saying its hypocritical to call someone brainwashed right?

#23 Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

No...Im saying you were ok calling your father brainwashed for his choices, but resented being called that yourself.
Hypocrite is a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, that they dont actually have.
#24 Old 06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I have spent more than $200 in a single shopping trip many times. I often buy cases of things, as it saves 10%. I also use coupons. Yesterday, my bill started out over $300, but after the case discounts and coupons, it was cut in half.

$200 may or may not be a lot. It depends what you got and how long it is going to last.

Your dad sounds like he may be stressed about money in general. If that is the case, there are ways to eat really cheap on a vegan diet and you could actually reduce your family's food bill.
#25 Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

My boyfriend and I pay wa-ay more than that for groceries (for two weeks), and it's really frustrating. We don't eat prepared foods, I make everything from scratch, but we can't get the bill down.

Really? Perhaps it's worth making a thread to discuss that issue. My bills aren't nearly so high, and I think that's rare for most vegans.

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#26 Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

Really? Perhaps it's worth making a thread to discuss that issue. My bills aren't nearly so high, and I think that's rare for most vegans.

Really! My grocery bills have at least doubled since making the transition from omni to vegan. They're absolutely outrageous. I will make a new thread.
#27 Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

I know, and I thanked him. He knows I care.

Glad to hear that.
#28 Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

That was nice of your dad to spend $200 on food. My dad would not have done that for me...although my parents would not have had $200 to buy food just for me, they had 5 kids. I think you should focus on the positive without laughing at your dad. If he's buying you your vegan food I think he deserves some respect and he'll likely change his attitude eventually.
#29 Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to say that the ones brainwashed are all those watching the many meat, dairy and fast food advertizements constantly barraged on the TV daily. (yes I know there are those who don't watch TV but I do) Not to mention radio, internet and printed media. They are the ones who go along, see this stuff, think it's great and go buy it.

Don't think. Just buy what is advertized.
#30 Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy mostly vegan and spend around $100-$150 a week for a family of three with lots of leftovers for lunch. This includes TP, toiletries, cleaners, etc..I would balk at $200 as well. I buy the best of everything too. You could take about $10-$15 off my bill for the non-vegan food, and $25 or so off for the non-food items.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page