Loving Hut Restaurant? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you ever eaten at one? I'm visiting Pittsburgh (the city I'll be moving to soon) and I just ate at one. I had the deluxe vegetables, carrot juice, and pandan cake. I really liked it. The pandan cake was GREAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it's great!

I've been to several locations (mostly West Coast). The menu varies at each.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM

I've been to the London one. It was good, but sorta "fast food", so something you have to be in the mood for. There's a Chicago restaurant, used to be called Alice & Friends (and it was fab) that became a Loving Hut, but I haven't eaten there since the changeover.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I've been to the London one. It was good, but sorta "fast food", so something you have to be in the mood for. There's a Chicago restaurant, used to be called Alice & Friends (and it was fab) that became a Loving Hut, but I haven't eaten there since the changeover.

Which London one? (I'm guessing by the description you mean Camden)

I've loved all the ones I've been to, but where they are all individual restaurants with different menus and cooking styles, you never know what you're gonna get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Yep. In Camden. is there more than one? It was fine for the day, but if I find myself in Camden again, I'd go to Inspiral.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yep. In Camden. is there more than one? It was fine for the day, but if I find myself in Camden again, I'd go to Inspiral.

There's Archway and Edgware too. Never been to Edgware, but Archway is AMAZING. Vegan Chinese food ftw <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Oh cool. Vegan Chinese is what the Chicago place did before the change. Just looked up their menu a few minutes ago and looks much the same as before. So yummy.

#8 Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Ex-*****

I read they were opening a Loving Hut in St. Petersburg recently, apparently the first vegan restaurant in Russia.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#9 Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

The Loving Hut pandan cake is sooo good.

Dammit, now I want some.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#10 Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Vegan Very Metal

Never eaten at any Loving Hut place. Is the food at these places mainly junky style food that has been heavily fried? Or do they offer a healthier selection of meals including raw food?
#11 Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Never eaten at any Loving Hut place. Is the food at these places mainly junky style food that has been heavily fried? Or do they offer a healthier selection of meals including raw food?

The one in my city offers mainly Asian Fushion stuff, as well as things like cheezy bread, spaghetti, and burgers. They have really good salads too. There is a lot of healthy stuff.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#12 Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Depends which one you go to. It's more of a... franchise type thing. The restaurants are all different. Of the ones I've been to, I've had burgers, "fish" and chips, an array of chinese food, and some salad roll things. Oh, and cake. Lots of vegan cake. There may well be one that does raw food or something.

#13 Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Its a chain? I didn't know that! We have one here in Orlando, but it is about 45 minutes from my home, so I haven't been there, but I hear from reliable sources that it is amazing

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
#14 Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Its a chain? I didn't know that! We have one here in Orlando, but it is about 45 minutes from my home, so I haven't been there, but I hear from reliable sources that it is amazing

I'd never even heard of it until yesterday but apparently there are 120 in the US.
#15 Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been before. Great food, although the "supreme leader" thing is a bit odd. Kind of a fun quirk, though. There's one coming soon to the town where I go to school. I'm looking forward to the fall semester already!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#16 Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I've been to the now non-existent Vancouver one. It was decent, but not amazing or anything, the only thing that made it amazing was being able to have vegan restaurant food.

They did have really good poutine made with Daiya, and a great dragon bowl with miso gravy. Good takeout pizza too!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The menu definitely varies depending where you are located... I've been to the one in Glendale, AZ a few times and liked it. I've had items 1, 38 and 45 from the local menu. When I visited hubby in Naples, FL back in January we went twice because he was panicking on where to take me and the first visit I had V4 and it was good but the second trip I had 03 from their local menu and did not like it at all. Looks like it has grown quite a bit from when I found the Glendale LH about 2 1/2 years ago. There were only about 1/2 dozen in the US when I first found them.

http://www.lovinghut.us/
#18 Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I've been to the now non-existent Vancouver one. It was decent, but not amazing or anything, the only thing that made it amazing was being able to have vegan restaurant food.

They did have really good poutine made with Daiya, and a great dragon bowl with miso gravy. Good takeout pizza too!

I really enjoyed those 3 things. I especially enjoyed the poutine as I hadn't had a poutine since going vegetarian becuase of the beef gavy. I LOVED poutine, it was a treat whenever I got stuck shopping at some mall I made sure there was a new york fries there. *sigh* It sucks that they are not going to re-open. I have heard good things about the vegan pizza joint that just opened in Burnaby.
#19 Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancityveggie View Post

I really enjoyed those 3 things. I especially enjoyed the poutine as I hadn't had a poutine since going vegetarian becuase of the beef gavy. I LOVED poutine, it was a treat whenever I got stuck shopping at some mall I made sure there was a new york fries there. *sigh* It sucks that they are not going to re-open. I have heard good things about the vegan pizza joint that just opened in Burnaby.

Yeah, it sucks they won't re-open.

BUT I just tried that pizza place over the weekend and it's great! Very tasty, and it's actually in Vancouver around Kingsway and Victoria, they just entered the info wrong at first.

Also, have you tried making your own poutine? I love it and it's so easy. Just make some fries and vegetarian gravy, sprinkle on some Daiya cheese and voila!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#20 Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, it sucks they won't re-open.

BUT I just tried that pizza place over the weekend and it's great! Very tasty, and it's actually in Vancouver around Kingsway and Victoria, they just entered the info wrong at first.

Also, have you tried making your own poutine? I love it and it's so easy. Just make some fries and vegetarian gravy, sprinkle on some Daiya cheese and voila!

I was gonna ask what poutine was. My flatmate eats the omni version all the time, and I've always called him weird for it. Chips and gravy, great. Chips and cheese, great. All three together? EW.

#21 Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I was gonna ask what poutine was. My flatmate eats the omni version all the time, and I've always called him weird for it. Chips and gravy, great. Chips and cheese, great. All three together? EW.

It's really good, I swear!

It's a Canadian tradition pretty much, like beavers and hockey and alcoholism.

#22 Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In England, it's apparently some sort of 'northern thing'. That's what he says, anyway.

#23 Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been to the one in Tokyo. It was all Japanese-style vegan food (called shojin ryori here, monk food). It was really good, but I'd love to try one of the others somewhere else.
#24 Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But isn't it really greasy and heavy? It just sounds like something they should serve with a complimentary angioplasty.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#25 Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

But isn't it really greasy and heavy? It just sounds like something they should serve with a complimentary angioplasty.

It's about as greasy and heavy as pizza is I'd say. Not something you want to be eating every day in huge quantities but very tasty

And the nice thing about making vegan poutine at home is I can choose the amount of Daiya and gravy I'm using, and thus decide how quickly I want to give myself a heart attack

It's so funny you guys have never heard of it, poutine is super popular here. People eat it about as regularly as hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers, etc.

#26 Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's about as greasy and heavy as pizza is I'd say. Not something you want to be eating every day in huge quantities but very tasty

And the nice thing about making vegan poutine at home is I can choose the amount of Daiya and gravy I'm using, and thus decide how quickly I want to give myself a heart attack

It's so funny you guys have never heard of it, poutine is super popular here. People eat it about as regularly as hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Oh I've heard of it, but we don't eat it in San Diego (Mexican food is our thing).

Hmmm...maybe I'll try it. It's just fries (chips), cheese, and gravy?

Jean-Paul Sartre
#27 Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh I've heard of it, but we don't eat it in San Diego (Mexican food is our thing).

Yup, that's it.

Also Mexican food =

#28 Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yup, that's it.

Also Mexican food =

Mmmm, tell me about it. Street tacos in Ensenada= Heaven.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#29 Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM

I just have chow mein with sour and sweet tofu and sweet potato curry at one in SF. It was really good.
#30 Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

MiHo Gastrotruck and a few other foodie places sell poutine here in San Diego. Yep, fries, gravy and cheese.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page