Super Moderator

Homemade Cinnamon Dolce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Deleted
#153 Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Not to be that guy, but is Sbux not the coffee equivalent of Wal-Mart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Today was a two Starbucks drink day. Venti soy half-decaf vanilla cappuccino for breakfast to hold me through hellish all-day meeting at work. Since it's Thursday (allergy shot day) I also get one in the evening. Today is Grande soy green tea latte.

2 in one day? Jealous I drove by Starbucks the other day and wondered if I had ever bought 2 in one day. I realized I had not. Which is best for my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

Not to be that guy, but is Sbux not the coffee equivalent of Wal-Mart?

Not at all.
#155 Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Deleted
#156 Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

It's a total rarity for me. I usually get one on Thursday after allergy shots (I drive right past one on my way home from the clinic, and after being poked with three needles, I DESERVE it ) and one after grocery shopping at Target. If I hadn't needed SBX to get me through that meeting, today's double would not have happened.

You totally deserve it after shots. I hate needles.
#157 Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Not at all.

My comment was kind of rhetorical. Starbucks is a corporation like any other. Profits over people. Union busting, minimal fair trade, impoverished farmers, etc.

Beyond that, they don't even seem to care about the product anymore. At least when it comes to actual coffee. It's all about tweaking and re-branding the sugary sweet concoctions now.

People like what they like, but I'd personally rather support the little guys.
#158 Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I just googled and it's silk soy milk. I've never seen that here but that's what they use apparently! What's used in the US?

Oooooh nice.

Are you sure? I watch every time they make my coffee (paranoia that they will accidentally use milk!) and at both Starbucks and costs they always use longlife sweetened alpro soya. I don't think Silk is available in the UK.
#159 Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ok, looking at the UK menu now; a venti is 190. But who has ventis! My manager got me a grande this morning and it was wayyy too much!

I have tall which is 115.

I tend to have a tall soya latte too. 115 is not bad, I'd actually have guessed more! I had a 'large' (apart from tall I don't use their sizing terminology and just say medium and large!) soya latte once and it made me feel really sick, either too much soya milk or too much coffee!!
#160 Old 10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I usually get Venti too, to go with my breakfast

I don't understand your last comment

sorry that was the anorexia talking idk the whole needs venti thing, i just got really defensive.

anyway, drinking a mocha soy frap venti for dinner at the moment
#161 Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

sorry that was the anorexia talking idk the whole needs venti thing, i just got really defensive.

anyway, drinking a mocha frap venti for dinner at the moment

For me, replacing it for a meal isn't possible. I'm hungry within an hour and have a stomach ache for having it on an empty stomach. I still love my Venti drinks. It's a hard addiction to break. It's definitely possible to have venti Starbucks and still be at a healthy weight.
#162 Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned

yeah i know, i just like being a double 00 so im paranoid.
#163 Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The caramel drizzle has butter in it, therefore it is not vegan.
#164 Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

My comment was kind of rhetorical. Starbucks is a corporation like any other. Profits over people. Union busting, minimal fair trade, impoverished farmers, etc.

Beyond that, they don't even seem to care about the product anymore. At least when it comes to actual coffee. It's all about tweaking and re-branding the sugary sweet concoctions now.

People like what they like, but I'd personally rather support the little guys.

They actually have an amazing benefits package, even for part time workers, they offer tuition reimbursement, stock options, their wages aren't the best, but they're also the largest buyer of fair trade coffee in the world.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they do a lot better than many large corporations.
#165 Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

They actually have an amazing benefits package, even for part time workers, they offer tuition reimbursement, stock options, their wages aren't the best, but they're also the largest buyer of fair trade coffee in the world.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they do a lot better than many large corporations.

Their the largest purchaser of fair trade coffee because they're by far the largest coffee company. I'd like to see the numbers on a per dollar of profit basis.

I agree that it could be worse, hence my label of Wal-Mart of coffee. In general, t's a consumer base more socially conscious than most. Combine that with the company's hippie roots and there's pressure enough to not go completely off the reservation.
#166 Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Are you sure? I watch every time they make my coffee (paranoia that they will accidentally use milk!) and at both Starbucks and costs they always use longlife sweetened alpro soya. I don't think Silk is available in the UK.

Nope, not sure at all. COuldn't seem to find a proper answer on google...that's the only thing that came up!

Quote:

I tend to have a tall soya latte too. 115 is not bad, I'd actually have guessed more! I had a 'large' (apart from tall I don't use their sizing terminology and just say medium and large!) soya latte once and it made me feel really sick, either too much soya milk or too much coffee!!

I get so confused with the sizes! Started having grande which is medium, is it?! :s

Quote:

anyway, drinking a mocha soy frap venti for dinner at the moment

Sorry, if that was because of me I honestly didn't mean it like that.

I have no money for Starbucks this week.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#167 Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I get so confused with the sizes! Started having grande which is medium, is it?! :s

No idea :P. I would have thought grande meant large (just because it means 'big' in French) but I'm guessing a Venti is large from what I can see in this thread. Never really got why 'tall' was 'small' either. And Costa uses completely different terminology so I just get lost!
#168 Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

No idea :P. I would have thought grande meant large (just because it means 'big' in French) but I'm guessing a Venti is large from what I can see in this thread. Never really got why 'tall' was 'small' either. And Costa uses completely different terminology so I just get lost!

That's correct. In the US (not sure if it's the same there), the sizes are:

Short
Tall (12 oz)
Grande (16 oz)
Venti (20 oz hot, 24 oz cold)
Trente

Only the middle 3 are on the menu. The Trente is only for iced drinks like iced tea (31 ounces), the short only available in hot drinks (8 oz).
#169 Old 10-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

If anyone needs help with the Starbucks lingo, here's an awesome site:

http://www.quicksilverweb.net/sbucks/sbcharts.htm
#170 Old 10-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Beginner

I just had my first soy latte 2 days ago. The heat was out in my area of the building, so I thought it was a good time to try one out and use my Starbucks card. Grande decaf pumpkin spice soy latte. AWESOME! It also gave me an excuse to use my new recyclable coffee cup.

We have several local coffee places where I live. It's actually a great place for veg*ns because there are so many local restaurants here. At one time Louisville had the most local restaurants per capita in the country. That may still be true, but I haven't checked if we still were in the last couple years.
#171 Old 10-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

:yp:
#172 Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissigirl View Post

I just had my first soy latte 2 days ago. The heat was out in my area of the building, so I thought it was a good time to try one out and use my Starbucks card. Grande decaf pumpkin spice soy latte. AWESOME! It also gave me an excuse to use my new recyclable coffee cup.

We have several local coffee places where I live. It's actually a great place for veg*ns because there are so many local restaurants here. At one time Louisville had the most local restaurants per capita in the country. That may still be true, but I haven't checked if we still were in the last couple years.

wait pumpkin spice isn't vegan
#173 Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wait pumpkin spice isn't vegan

was so depressed when i found this out... lol

☮~Ⓥ ÂListen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. -Shel SilversteinⓋ~☮
#174 Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't know that either
#175 Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

i googled it as soon as I became vegan because im a pumpkin fiend.
drinking a cinna dolce latte.
#176 Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Beginner

I thought it was. Luckily i'm full vegetarian going vegan right now. Since it was my first soy latte i'm glad I picked a flavor I know for sure I like. Now that I know I like them i'll be more careful.
#177 Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

i always ask the barista and they usually answer my question and show me the bottle or ingredients to verify.
i thought DD's pumpkin spice would be safe, but their website has the ingredients so depressing.
i love pumpkin!
#178 Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:

i always ask the barista and they usually answer my question and show me the bottle or ingredients to verify.
i thought DD's pumpkin spice would be safe, but their website has the ingredients so depressing.
i love pumpkin!

I've heard the peppermint isn't vegan either. My 2 favorites of the season.
#179 Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

really havent asked about that yet its not in season.
according to a blog the gingerbread one is vegan.

honestly buy silk mint chocolate milk and add that to coffee or just warm it up plain with some dandies and soyatoo . cheaper.
#180 Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Deleted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page