I'm considering veganism! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM

I have been vegetarian for almost 7 years now and I have been thinking real hard about going vegan! I think if I went vegan it would help me to lose some weight, but who knows. I really would like to give it a try. The thing is, I do not know how to go about being vegan. I know this is probably a silly question but can vegans eat bread?? lol

How can I go about being vegan? Are there any good books out there that explain it well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Get the book "Becoming Vegan"
http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan...4628848&sr=8-1

It has everything you need to know Vegans can eat waaay more food than we can't eat. And to answer your question, bread is typically vegan. Check the ingredients to be sure though.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#3 Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Have you been reading ingrediants as a vegetarian, or just avoiding meat?
Everyones experience going vegan is different. You'll get responses from "I just did it, it was soooo easy!" to people who have taken years!
For me, I started as a vegetarian occasionally having cheese, and not terribly strict on egg ingrediants, but I became a label reader from the start. Here's one site with listed animal ingrediants, and why and what they're used for:
http://www.veganwolf.com/animal_ingredients.htm
Breads can be difficult. Many have egg, dairy, honey, or l-cysteine, a dough conditioner made with either birds feathers or hair. I've found Aldis "l'oven fresh wheat bread checks out, and there are Arnolds breads and some others people have found to be vegan. Theres a bread thread around here.
What I found hardest was cheese. Cheese IS addictive. My first year was a struggle. I slipped many times. After over a year and a half, I finally felt the struggle was over. I could be around cheese pizza and not crave it. That's big. I could even order pizza without cheese and really like it! I finally think nutritional yeast tastes cheesy, and now put it on all kinds of things.
What I'm attempting to say is, it takes different tactics for different people, but you won't ever regret it.

I suggest Dr. Neal Barnard, The New Four Food Groups
Kris Carr, Crazy, Sexy Diet
I also liked Alicia Silverstones, The Kind Diet

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegans eat the same foods everyone else eats, except minus the animal products.

My favorite guide for new vegans is the Guide to Cruelty Free Eating.

Remember that regardless of what some people might think, veganism is a means to an end, not a virtue in and of itself. We choose vegan to reduce suffering, and to live more fully by our basic human principles. Rather than choosing to look at it as an ever expanding list of ingredients, I choose to make my own veganism an expression of pragmatic hope and change.

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you try the 30 day challenge and see how it feels? There's a lot of info online, and i think talking to people is the best thing you can do.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#6 Old 05-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Also, when you have tried soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk, as well as the yogurts and ice creams made from them, they taste so amazing and are so easy to digest in comparison that there really is no going back to dairy!
#7 Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes vegans can eat bread. Just not the bread made with milk, eggs, honey or other animal products.

If you're thinking about going vegan that's great! There are two ways to go vegan: quickly or slowly
#8 Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Bread SHOULD be vegan, but store-bought bread often isn't. check the ingredients. Veganism is great, but do not do it because you're expecting to lose weight. I didn't at all. Some people do, but honestly, if you were eating a healthy vegetarian diet before, will be eating a healthy vegan diet now, and there will be no big difference in calories, you will not lose weight from going vegan alone.
#9 Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks for all the info! It's really helpful!

I don't JUST want to go vegan to lose weight. I am tired of eating cheese, I don't like milk as it is, it disgusts me. I have tried soy and rice milk, soy milk to me doesn't taste all too great but it's tolerable and rice milk is DELICIOUS! I have tried soy ice cream and love it. I think I like it better than regular ice cream. So I think it shouldn't be too hard to be vegan for me...well it might because of the cheese part but I think I can do it. I am a strong person. =) I will do the 30-day challenge starting this weekend because I have to go grocery shopping. =P Although, I could start partially by not eating cheese tomorrow and stuff tomorrow. I will have to either find a bread that doesn't have animal product in it or make my own vegan bread since we have a bread maker. =)

I will check out the books you guys linked me too. Thanks bunches!! Can't wait to try veganism. Hopefully I'll be able to do it!! =D
#10 Old 05-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

veganism is as easy or as hard as you make it. Going grocery shopping it is the easiest thing in the world. You just need to remember a couple ingredients to avoid such as whey and honey, and of course milk and eggs. So many things are vegan now. Going out to eat can be frustrating because some people don't even know what veganism is

Check out my vegan blog! http://teenagetreehugger.tumblr.com/
#11 Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want cheese, there are a couple vegan cheeses I recommend. Daiya is a vegan cheese that melts, and Follow Your Heart Mozarella is o.k. too. There are some others, like Scheeze (sp?) that I haven't tried that some others recommend. Some people dislike vegan cheeses, so it depends how picky you are.

I also recommend watching the movie "Earthlings" online - you can search and find it for free on the Earthlings site I think, on Google video, and probably YouTube.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshizzle View Post

Thanks for all the info! It's really helpful!

I don't JUST want to go vegan to lose weight. I am tired of eating cheese, I don't like milk as it is, it disgusts me. I have tried soy and rice milk, soy milk to me doesn't taste all too great but it's tolerable and rice milk is DELICIOUS! I have tried soy ice cream and love it. I think I like it better than regular ice cream. So I think it shouldn't be too hard to be vegan for me...well it might because of the cheese part but I think I can do it. I am a strong person. =) I will do the 30-day challenge starting this weekend because I have to go grocery shopping. =P Although, I could start partially by not eating cheese tomorrow and stuff tomorrow. I will have to either find a bread that doesn't have animal product in it or make my own vegan bread since we have a bread maker. =)

I will check out the books you guys linked me too. Thanks bunches!! Can't wait to try veganism. Hopefully I'll be able to do it!! =D

Congratulations! Awesome decision!

Check out this video I found, it's just one example of what an awesome variety of tasty plant based food there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRnKmKgfv3s

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

It's cool that you're making the change. If you're doing this for weight loss reasons primarily, make sure that you pay close attention to your nutrition (don't under do your fat intake for example) because adopting veganism as a "diet" in the weight-loss sense has the potential to result in health issues. Remember to take some supplements too.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshizzle View Post

I have been vegetarian for almost 7 years now and I have been thinking real hard about going vegan! I think if I went vegan it would help me to lose some weight, but who knows. I really would like to give it a try. The thing is, I do not know how to go about being vegan. I know this is probably a silly question but can vegans eat bread?? lol

How can I go about being vegan? Are there any good books out there that explain it well?

If you've been vegetarian for 7 years there's really not much more you have to do to have a vegan diet. Here's some helpful advice:
Purchase WHOLE FOODS, this is simple... if it looks like it grows on a tree or out of the ground, that's a whole food. (for instance, a package of tofu is not a whole food, but bean sprouts are). When you eat whole foods not only should you be eating healthier, but it will be easy to recognize if it's an animal or not.

If you do purchase non-whole foods, all you have to do is scan the ingredient list, you don't have to read it! If there's a LONG list of items with names of long scientific sounding words (or odd acronyms) just put it back on the shelf.
If there's a short list of recognizable words (e.g. banana, raisins, rice, etc.), it should be good.
The more "organic" you see, the better.

Remember, vegan philosophy when applied to a diet can help with health tremendously, but ideas like "losing weight" are not within the vegan philosophy. What vegan philosophy is simply non-violence. You can eat the greasiest, fattiest, carb-crazy foods and still have them vegan. Losing weight would entail increased activity (cardio exercise), eating with caloric intake in mind, and various techniques to shed the pounds. This kind of stuff is outside the realms of veganism. However, if a vegan philosophy is applied properly to your health you should see your philosophy express itself through many health benefits and you'll understand it's not about losing weight, so much as maintaining a healthy weight for your body type. Veganism resonates with harmony, so bring harmony into your life starting out with applied vegan diet philosophy.
Best wishes :^)

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#15 Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Veganism is great, but do not do it because you're expecting to lose weight. I didn't at all. Some people do, but honestly, if you were eating a healthy vegetarian diet before, will be eating a healthy vegan diet now, and there will be no big difference in calories, you will not lose weight from going vegan alone.

I agree. I didn't lose weight either. The best reason to eliminate dairy and eggs from your diet is to reduce animal suffering and death (and no, you don't have to watch Earthlings to learn this).
#16 Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post

If you've been vegetarian for 7 years there's really not much more you have to do to have a vegan diet. Here's some helpful advice:
Purchase WHOLE FOODS, this is simple... if it looks like it grows on a tree or out of the ground, that's a whole food. (for instance, a package of tofu is not a whole food, but bean sprouts are). When you eat whole foods not only should you be eating healthier, but it will be easy to recognize if it's an animal or not.

If you do purchase non-whole foods, all you have to do is scan the ingredient list, you don't have to read it! If there's a LONG list of items with names of long scientific sounding words (or odd acronyms) just put it back on the shelf.
If there's a short list of recognizable words (e.g. banana, raisins, rice, etc.), it should be good.
The more "organic" you see, the better.

Remember, vegan philosophy when applied to a diet can help with health tremendously, but ideas like "losing weight" are not within the vegan philosophy. What vegan philosophy is simply non-violence. You can eat the greasiest, fattiest, carb-crazy foods and still have them vegan. Losing weight would entail increased activity (cardio exercise), eating with caloric intake in mind, and various techniques to shed the pounds. This kind of stuff is outside the realms of veganism. However, if a vegan philosophy is applied properly to your health you should see your philosophy express itself through many health benefits and you'll understand it's not about losing weight, so much as maintaining a healthy weight for your body type. Veganism resonates with harmony, so bring harmony into your life starting out with applied vegan diet philosophy.
Best wishes :^)

This was very helpful thank you so much!! Going grocery shopping tomorrow to start my 30-days of veganism and if I can do it I will continue being vegan. =D

Irizary-- Also, I watched half of Earthlings....with my eyes closed mostly....Why would you make me watch that??? I'm vegetarian for that reason. I know what goes on in the factory farms and all that. That was just disturbing. I appreciate you trying to help but WOW that was just something I wish I had never watched. Glad I didn't finish watching it though.
#17 Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Oreos and Ritz crackers are vegan!

I use Arnold's bread, and their sandwich rounds.

Good luck, you have all of our support here! Feel free to ask many more questions

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#18 Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

I say go for it! I've noticed a lot of people that go vegan have already been vegetarian, so that gives them a head start. I'm becoming vegan from a complete omnivore, cold tofurky. As long as you really believe in it, make it fun, and do the research, I don't think you'll have any problems at all. Like others said, you can try the 30 day challenge first, too. I see becoming vegan as a fun challenge to do something positive and help animals!
#19 Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

When you shop for bread, whey is the big ingredient you need to watch out for, as it's a milk derivative. Ingredients in a loaf of bread will very rarely be labelled as milk, lactose, etc.

Also, if you buy fake meat, watch out as at my grocery store easily at least half of them have dairy ingredients, although Tofurkey doesn't and I don't think Yves does either. One thing I'm observing is how easily animal products can get snuck into everything!
#20 Old 05-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

oh very true....Morning Star is vegetarian as it has egg whites in the patties. Boca burgers say vegan on the front of them. I like their Chic*n patties once in a while

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#21 Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 PM

I went grocery shopping today and found some vegan bread. I tried finding bagels too but they didn't have any!! I got a bunch of veggies, fruit and beans...I also bought these vegan waffles and they are delicious! Better than regular waffles. I'm excited to be vegan. It may be a little hard for me because I love cheese buuut I will get over it! =) Thanks for all the help!

Oh yeah, I like boca burgers and their chic*n patties! I am trying to avoid anything processed though so I didn't get any of that. Maybe once in a while I can have them though. =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page