Vegan Lip Balm - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Right now, I'm using Burt's Bees, although when this one runs out I want to get something that's 100% vegan. I've always had a problem with dry lips, and was put onto Burt's Bees originally after someone was telling me about how ChapStik, Blistex, etc. put little pieces of fiberglass in their products so that was you have to reapply more and but a new one more often.

I know I'm going to probably have to order it online as I'm in a rural area, and that's OK. I just need a good lip balm that's fabulous for moisturizing with zero animal products or animal testing. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Merry Hempsters! They're super smooth! http://www.iherb.com/Merry-Hempsters

I've tried cinnamon and orange so far. Cinnamon makes the lips tingly. Someone I know ordered lemon-lime and they love it. I'd like to get vanilla and spearmint when I'm out. We got free jam and cocoa mix samples with our order.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#3 Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

fibreglass? not sure id believe that O_o

Anyway I like "Crazy Rumors" brand lip balm. its all vegan and smells and tastes good. however I do quite want to try Merry Hempsters now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

The vanilla looks great too....
#5 Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Crazy Rumors are sooo good! Merry Hempsters are good and EcoLips makes good ones too. You can also use plain coconut oil (it works nicely).

Also: Make your own! Not all essential oils are okay for lip/skin application, so do some research... http://www.ehow.com/how_4450466_make...-lip-balm.html

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Just browsed Crazy Rumors and offhand their flavor selection definitely looks more impressive.
#7 Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I like crazy Rumors the best, they are so tasty and smooth!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

This one right here is something I've been looking for in a lip balm, vegan or not, for ages!!

http://crazyrumors.com/all-natural-l...lip-balms.html
#9 Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I really recommend the Amaretto one. mmmmm amaretto.
#10 Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

This one right here is something I've been looking for in a lip balm, vegan or not, for ages!!

http://crazyrumors.com/all-natural-l...lip-balms.html

That is exactly what I want!!
I love the taste and smell of coffee SO much! More than even drinking it!

P.s. I use Merry Hempsters cinnamon, which I like a lot. No store around me sells vanilla-though they have all the rest! I've tried lemon-lime and don't like it at all. It's not sweet, not tart, just meh..
If you find Merry Hempsters in a store be aware that they make both vegan and non vegan (bees wax). I thought they were all vegan, and the second time I bought the bees wax one. very stupid for them to make it, because the texture is really bad, more like what i remember original chapstick. The vegan is really smooth, not at all sticky.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think beeswax may have been making my lips worse in hindsight. I have a severe allergy to pollen, and bees dive into the stuff all the time.
#12 Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I use none of your beeswax from LUSH. It's lemony and citrusy - yum !
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#13 Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've tried cinnamon and orange so far. Cinnamon makes the lips tingly. Someone I know ordered lemon-lime and they love it. I'd like to get vanilla and spearmint when I'm out. We got free jam and cocoa mix samples with our order.

Love, love love Merry Hempsters.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#14 Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Crazy Rumors is one of the best balms I've ever used, vegan or not, and I'm a huge product junkie. I own the entire Brew collection, plus Candy Cane. My favorite is Apple Spice.
#15 Old 05-09-2011, 05:55 AM

For those of you that get Crazy Rumors, do you buy in bulk, or what? I've been wanting to try their product, but I can't justify paying $6.00 for the shipping of one lip balm. My income is very infrequent.
#16 Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Ohh, Lush, haven't been there in years, love that place!

Thanks so much for your help guys
#17 Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Another vote for Crazy Rumors. There's a UK brand, Yaoh that I like as well. Merry Hempsters is often dry, ime, but I know lots of folks love it. Lush has some nice stuff, but they have lots of nasties in some of their products too (parabens and the like)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM

I love Crazy Rumors too. Their lip balms are really moisturizing and make my lips much softer, but not overly greasy or shiny. The lip balm also seems to stay on quite long so I don't need to constantly re-apply. Probably the best lip balms I've tried.

Yaoh is pretty good too, but it seems less moisturizing than Crazy Rumors. I have to apply it more often and if my lips have already gotten really dry it doesn't always seem to help enough. I still think it's a good lip balm though. The blueberry flavor smells delicious!

Most lip balms from My Lip Stuff contain beeswax, but she has some vegan lip balms too. I've tried the flavors Cool Under Pressure and A Little S&M. The latter smells great and actually even tastes super sweet. Definitely one of the best flavors I've ever tried (despite the name). They're nicely moisturizing too. One slightly negative thing is that those lip balms are very soft (unless in cool temperature) and easy apply too much. But at least they taste really good so you can just lick the excess off.
#19 Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora View Post

For those of you that get Crazy Rumors, do you buy in bulk, or what? I've been wanting to try their product, but I can't justify paying $6.00 for the shipping of one lip balm. My income is very infrequent.

I bought 5 at once! But I'm a lip balm junkie and like to keep them everywhere: nightstand, desk, purse, coffee table, makeup bag, etc.

ETA: I should mention that although I love almost every flavor I've tried, the Peppermint Lemongrass one irritated my lips (and I am NOT sensitive to makeup or beauty products usually at all.) It really dried them out and chapped them badly. All the other flavors I've tried have worked great though.
#20 Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:

I can vouch for Merry Hempsters as well. My husband and I got the Vanilla lip balm and LOVE it! It works very well and has a VERY yummy smell. We also got their Tattoo balm stuff, which also works great as an alternative to Neosporin
#21 Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Lush, so many awesome vegan soaps
Next time I go to one, I need to buy some vegan shampoo and conditioner.
And lip balms

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#22 Old 05-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Just came across this stuff this weekend, and it is fab! I bought the almond and the root beer (root beer!) flavors:

http://www.hurrawbalm.com/

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#23 Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Just came across this stuff this weekend, and it is fab! I bought the almond and the root beer (root beer!) flavors:

http://www.hurrawbalm.com/

I was going to post this. Hurraw is my all time favorite for texture and moisture. I like crazy rumors also, and have like 6 of them (3 beautiful colors!), but I primarily purchase them in place of lipstick. If I just want moisture without color, then Hurraw is what I reach for. They're both very nice, quality balms... Hurraw is more 'slick' due to the raw oils, vs a slight waxier feel of CR, so it's more a personal preference.
#24 Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

This: http://www.hurrawbalm.com/hurraw/ind...oduct_id=29820

Looks exactly what I need, hell yes! Thanks again.
#25 Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

My two go-to vegan lip balms:

Peppermint Merry Hempsters, which my local store stopped carrying, so I order it from a merchant on Amazon. Right now, its $1.63 per tube plus $1.99 shipping = $3.62 per tube. Not bad compared to other vegan balms I've seen for sale. (This is a merchant, so the shipping s standard regardless how how many items you purchase. This was the only item in my cart)

Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula - Lip Butter (dark chocolate and peppermint) is vegan. Palmer's is not a vegan company, and they do sell products with animal ingredients. But, this lip butter contains no animal ingredients, and the FAQ page on their website says "Palmer's is a "cruelty-free" company and does NOT conduct product tests on animals."

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#26 Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I aquired myself some of these recently, they smell lovely. the cocoa vanilla one is much more cocoaey than cocoa butter. theyre made by someone who lives local to me (i bought some off the owner at a local fair). almost all of the products are vegan except some soaps which use goats milk i think.
http://www.spiralsoaps.com
#27 Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM

I use pawpaw ointment and it's literally the BEST thing ever for your lips! You can dab it on dry skin too. It looks pretty expensive but you only have to use the tiniest bit and it's soooo wonderful! It makes your lips SUPER soft! I love it
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#28 Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I, too, was looking at the iHerb site for Merry Hempster lipbalm, as some of you recommended. Are all of the products on that site vegan?
#29 Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamorphia View Post

I, too, was looking at the iHerb site for Merry Hempster lipbalm, as some of you recommended. Are all of the products on that site vegan?

Nope to the Merry Hempsters items on the site(a couple have beeswax IIRC), and nope to the site in general(it's just a supplement site).

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#30 Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

Nope to the Merry Hempsters items on the site(a couple have beeswax IIRC), and nope to the site in general(it's just a supplement site).

Alright, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page