Parmesan Cheese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM

I'm currently a Vegetarian trying to transition to Vegan. I'm not drinking cow milk anymore, I've switched to almond milk and LOVE it!

I'm having issues with cheese.....

Cheese and I have a special love affair that I just can't explain. I make this really fantastic alfredo sauce with the best organic parmesan cheese I've ever tasted in my life.

What do you guys use for cheese? I have tried a few kinds of vegan parmesan cheese and it was lacking. However, I'm sure there are some really good brands out there though so I thought I would ask ya'll.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

I'm currently a Vegetarian trying to transition to Vegan. I'm not drinking cow milk anymore, I've switched to almond milk and LOVE it!

I'm having issues with cheese.....

Cheese and I have a special love affair that I just can't explain. I make this really fantastic alfredo sauce with the best organic parmesan cheese I've ever tasted in my life.

What do you guys use for cheese? I have tried a few kinds of vegan parmesan cheese and it was lacking. However, I'm sure there are some really good brands out there though so I thought I would ask ya'll.

Thanks so much!

I don't crave cheese. Try doing a month long detox, the stuff will start to revolt you. It smells like feces to me nowadays.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#3 Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

any kind by Daiya is amazing and "galaxy vegan" makes a good Parmesan cheese
http://vivagranolaveganstore.com/cat...x.php?cPath=57

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Here's an alfredo sauce recipe from vegweb: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=36911.0

There are more if you search for alfredo on the left side. I've never made vegan alfredo sauce but I've made other nutritional yeast based 'cheese' sauces and they were pretty tasty. Good luck!

Edit: For sprinkling over pasta or other dishes that would normally call for a little parmesan on top, I also just use nutritional yeast. Daiya is pretty tasty, though, I've used it on pizza and made 'cheese' sauces with it and it was great. On pizza, I drizzle on a bit of tahini with a sprinkling of nooch.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#5 Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

make your own parmesan!
http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/...=1445&catId=11

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#6 Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM

I'm not sure any parmesan sub is ever going to work in that way - you might get some of the flavour, but it wont react in the same way to being heated. For creamy pasta sauce type things I use Tofutti cream cheese (variety of flavours) - works really well for making a carbonara type sauce.

Vegan parmesan is the only cheese I use on a regular basis - the others don't really interest me anymore, i've found more interesting things to put in sandwiches etc.

Give yourself a 30 day challenge, see how you feel. I found cheese to be a serious crutch when I was vegetarian, but it was surprisingly easy to cut it out once i'd made my mind up.

Why are you transitioning to vegan? If its for animal welfare/rights reasons then sometimes reading around the manufacturing process can help remind you why you've given up a food you enjoy
#7 Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I find daiya gets the same texture results as real cheese did.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#8 Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

For cooking, I use the Life Free From parmesan. It's in a powder-type form, so it's obviously not got the same texture, but it's great in sauces and it works well sprinkled on top of a pasta dish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 AM

That's a tough one.

Of all "imitation animal products", cheese has to be the worst.

I've had some pretty good mock meats, and I actually enjoy drinking Vanilla Soy Milk (vs animal milk, which I always hated). And with baking and the like, they are plenty of substitutes for eggs.

But cheese...they have yet to find a good method of making it.

I was a big cheese aficionado prior to me going vegan (my brother and I had plans to open a cheese restaurant), so I can definitely understand what you're going through.

Honestly though, I would fore go the vegan cheeses entirely. Mostly because I almost universally feel gross after I eat a sizable portion of vegan cheese (like a slice of Zpizza pizza), but also becauseI cam across this awhile ago. And frankly, mock cheese just tastes gross almost universally.

The way I've somewhat overcome this is just to distance myself from good cheeses (even now, my mouth waters when I pass the various organic feta's and Bleu cheese in Whole Foods), or to find some other spice to compensate. For example, basil with a thick homemade tomato sauce and mushrooms usually does the trick.
#10 Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

I used to obsess over finding vegan cheese substitutes since I had real trouble with my addiction of cheese, but after a month of being vegan, I surprised myself by finding I'm not craving anything cheesy anymore.

theapplerunner.com
#11 Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

You're not going to find a good fake parmesan. Sure, there's some vaguely parm-tasting stuff out there, but nothing that anybody who is used to the good stuff would ever mistake for the real thing.

Fake cheese in general is nasty. The store-bought stuff, anyway (I've had some good house made cheese sauces at a couple of vegan restaurants).

If you're going vegan, I think you're much better off saying goodbye to cheese and finding other ingredients to use than trying to replicate it with fake stuff.
#12 Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

cheese is addictive, it has similar properties as morphine.

it takes time to get over the addiction and for some I think it never really goes away.

some people like cheese subs, I personally do not. To me they taste nothing like cheese.

Its best to eat foods that don't normally have cheese on them at first to get used to it and then you will see that the cheese actually masks the flavors of the foods it normally goes with like pasta. instead of alfredo switch it up to pesto or marinara.
#13 Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I'm trying to switch because although the cheese may be organic I don't know how that cow was treated and that's important to me.

I make alot of tex-mex and italian dishes. I also make cheesy casseroles and side dishes quite a bit. I'm going to try some of the recipes and tips and see what comes of it. Thanks again! :-)
#14 Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

Thank you all for your replies. I'm trying to switch because although the cheese may be organic I don't know how that cow was treated and that's important to me.

I make alot of tex-mex and italian dishes. I also make cheesy casseroles and side dishes quite a bit. I'm going to try some of the recipes and tips and see what comes of it. Thanks again! :-)

With the majority of organic dairy, all "organic" means is that the cow was fed organic food. Everything else is the same

Cheese was really hard for me too. I tried the weaning method, but it didn't work. I just had to cut it out cold tofurkey, otherwise I'd continue craving it. Now I see it for what it is: coagulated mucus-inducing cow puss.

Good luck!!

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#15 Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM

I like Daiya in place of shredded cheese. Parma and the galaxy vegan are both pretty good, but personally I don't miss parmesean that much.
#16 Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks ya'll. I really appreciate all of the input. I heard somewhere that pumpkin seeds can be made into something similar to cheese as well. I have a big bag of those bad boys so I might give that a try. Plus they are SUPER good for you. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page