Vegan Ice Cream - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Last night my husband and I made vegan ice cream out of Silk vanilla soy creamer and half a box of red velvet cake mix (Duncan Hines brand-vegan unless I missed something. I was shocked!). Originally we were just going to make plain vanilla ice cream, but the recipe we were using called for arrowroot powder, which we couldn't find at our local supermarket. Thinking that it wouldn't matter as long as we used something as a thickening agent, I started looking through the boxed cake mixes to see if any we vegan.

I just blended together three cups of the soy creamer, two tablespoons of vanilla extract and half of the cake mix, and we put it in our ice cream maker for a half hour. After the half hour was up, the ice cream batter was still completely melted, but we thought it would be better to just throw it in the freeze to see what happened instead of throwing it away. Sure enough, we woke up this morning, and the batter had the consistency of soft serve ice cream! And it was DELICIOUS! Considering that the ice cream maker didn't really do anything at all, I'm thinking one could make the batter and just put it in the freezer overnight.

Just wanted to share

"You know I'm a radical."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds yummy. I don't know if that cake mix is vegan or not but I do know there are vegan cake mixes around.

Have you checked out ay vegan ice cream "cook"books? There's one called The Vegan Scoop, another called Vice Cream, and one titled Lick It.
#3 Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 AM

That sounds very yummy!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Red velvet vegan ice cream? Sounds too good to be true... I want it so bad!
#5 Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

pfff, would help if I found the iceblock for my icecream machine, now I have to do with ****ty nonvegan icecream.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Why OH WHY did I open this thread? I'm supposed to be laying off the treats, and here you are, dangling this one in front of me. I should have known better.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#7 Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Red velvet vegan soft serve ice cream. Have mercy.
#8 Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Sounds yummy. I don't know if that cake mix is vegan or not but I do know there are vegan cake mixes around.

Have you checked out ay vegan ice cream "cook"books? There's one called The Vegan Scoop, another called Vice Cream, and one titled Lick It.

The cake mix didn't have any milk or eggs in it, but it's possible it had one of those other weird animal byproducts that like to hide in things. I am pretty new to this, so don't be upset if you check the cake mix at the store, and it has an objectionable item in it!

I haven't checked out any vegan ice cream books yet, but there's one I <b>really> want from that Bittersweet Blog (it's an e-book). BUTTERED POPCORN ICE CREAM. Need I say more?? We're definitely going to keep experimenting with the ice cream maker!

"You know I'm a radical."
#9 Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
there's one I really want from that Bittersweet Blog

Hannah's recipes all look really good to me, although I don't do much sweet stuff myself so YMMV. I'm having an out of money phase right now so I haven't picked that ebook up yet, but it's high on the list of things to eventually get.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#10 Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

Last night my husband and I made vegan ice cream out of Silk vanilla soy creamer and half a box of red velvet cake mix (Duncan Hines brand-vegan unless I missed something. I was shocked!). Originally we were just going to make plain vanilla ice cream, but the recipe we were using called for arrowroot powder, which we couldn't find at our local supermarket. Thinking that it wouldn't matter as long as we used something as a thickening agent, I started looking through the boxed cake mixes to see if any we vegan.

I just blended together three cups of the soy creamer, two tablespoons of vanilla extract and half of the cake mix, and we put it in our ice cream maker for a half hour. After the half hour was up, the ice cream batter was still completely melted, but we thought it would be better to just throw it in the freeze to see what happened instead of throwing it away. Sure enough, we woke up this morning, and the batter had the consistency of soft serve ice cream! And it was DELICIOUS! Considering that the ice cream maker didn't really do anything at all, I'm thinking one could make the batter and just put it in the freezer overnight.

Just wanted to share

That's genius!

And, I don't know about the red velvet cake mix specifically, but most of the Duncan Hines cake mixes are vegan. Some of their frosting is, too.

B.Crew
www.thevegancrew.com
twitter.com/thevegancrew
#11 Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I just blended together three cups of the soy creamer, two tablespoons of vanilla extract and half of the cake mix, and we put it in our ice cream maker for a half hour. After the half hour was up, the ice cream batter was still completely melted

The not freezing puzzled me a bit, but I have a theory: the alcohol in the vanilla extract suppressed freezing. This would also explain why the batter only froze semisoft when you stuck it in the freezer. My guess is it would work in the maker minus the extract, if anyone has their heart set on using it.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#12 Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

sounds great.

I need some vegan cake mixes.
#13 Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Holy cow. I'm totally making this for mother's day! My son and I will love it! I'll stick it in the freezer on Saturday night. I'm so excited!

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page