Foods that got better without dairy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#1 Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 AM
Beginner

First of all, pizza. Going back to the original recepie, which is without cheese you can make a pizza that is much more fresh and tasty than with either real or fake cheese on it. Just make sure all the ingridients are really fresh and don't skip the basil and olive oil, just before serving.

Pesto... just make a simple one with pine nuts, basil, olive oil and salt and you're right there in pasta heaven! Only make sure you make it while the pasta is being cooked and not the day before.

A great parmesan fake is pumkin seed and salt. Just grind the seeds to powder and add the salt, sprinkle over the pasta sauce.

I had my favorite cheese to have on my sandwhiches but none of them compare to either a great home made hummus or simply a little olive oil and salt to dip the bread in.

Coffee... just take care of the coffee and it won't be necessary to add anything. Just like the sugar is not needed if the coffee is great the milk or cream is not needed either and can in fact spoil the whole thing (he said sipping an espresso from home roasted beans).

There's a traditional swedish rice porridge that we mainly eat for Christmas, it's generally made with cow's milk but coconut milk makes it so much better. Even my mom prefers that taste to the old one and she's not even a vegetarian.
Raskolnikova likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

pasta! just with a nice fresh tomato sauce with seasonal veggies and a good quality olive oil! heaven! no need to cover everything up with truckloads of cheese.

I totally agree with the cheese-less pizza. I love it with grilled veggies on it.

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#3 Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Banned

Ice cream! The taste of coconut milk and almond milk ice cream is more sophisticated than el-cheapo ice cream.
Raskolnikova likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Cupcakes! Pre-vegan baking, my cupcakes were reasonably good. They've gotten a heck of a lot better since I stopped using dairy & eggs.

Pasta is also a lot tastier without a mound of cheese dumped on top. And I love how pizza can seem like a semi-healthy meal when you load it up with veggies, whilst still tasting incredible.

Lattes taste sweeter with soy, which is nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Banned

smoothies with almond milk and frozen fruit
Raskolnikova likes this.
#6 Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of anything that tastes better without dairy, actually. (Unless I am talking about crappy cheese. Then just about everything tastes better without processed crap cheese. Good cheese, though? Nothing vegan comes CLOSE.)

Everything gets ethically better, though. And I feel better eating it, so I take greater pleasure in my food.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#7 Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

i've lost my taste for cheese, i think since i'm not eating vegetable oils either. it's just a big glob of fat, like butter. i would think if you're eating concentrated oils then you probably wouldn't have that reaction.
#8 Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

All the ones previously listed, plus Mexican food. So much more flavorful when it's not covered in cheese. And I can add lots of extra guacamole instead
Raskolnikova likes this.
#9 Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

scones. whole foods makes a vegan version that is heaven on earth.
Raskolnikova likes this.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#10 Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Cupcakes! Pre-vegan baking, my cupcakes were reasonably good. They've gotten a heck of a lot better since I stopped using dairy & eggs.

Pasta is also a lot tastier without a mound of cheese dumped on top. And I love how pizza can seem like a semi-healthy meal when you load it up with veggies, whilst still tasting incredible.

Lattes taste sweeter with soy, which is nice

soymilk is disgusting. you know what they say. once you've had almond milk, you can never go back
#11 Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

soymilk is disgusting. you know what they say. once you've had almond milk, you can never go back

I love almond milk, but prefer the nutritional profile of soymilk. It's definitely an acquired taste, but I enjoy it now.
#12 Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I love almond milk, but prefer the nutritional profile of soymilk. It's definitely an acquired taste, but I enjoy it now.

ack! (spits up furballs).
#13 Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I swear you people were all using terrible, low-quality, horrible, no-good, nasty, poop-cheese. The things you are saying about it covering up flavors and such. That's like saying peanut butter was covering up the flavor of your chocolate. BLASPHEMY. Cheese and other foods taste amazing TOGETHER, often better than alone!

I obviously don't eat cheese anymore, but holy crap does GOOD cheese taste good.

I kind of wish I'd spent my life eating the kind of terrible cheese that ruins food, like you all obviously did. Maybe I wouldn't miss it so much now if I had.
#14 Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I swear you people were all using terrible, low-quality, horrible, no-good, nasty, poop-cheese. The things you are saying about it covering up flavors and such. That's like saying peanut butter was covering up the flavor of your chocolate. BLASPHEMY. Cheese and other foods taste amazing TOGETHER, often better than alone!

I obviously don't eat cheese anymore, but holy crap does GOOD cheese taste good.

I kind of wish I'd spent my life eating the kind of terrible cheese that ruins food, like you all obviously did. Maybe I wouldn't miss it so much now if I had.

+1

Truly, I think most Americans have never eaten a good cheese. (And there are so many kinds, with so many sublime, diverse flavors.)

As for pizza and cheese - the ancient Roman version of pizza did have cheese. The modern Italian version has had cheese since at least 1889 - cheese is hardly a new American addition, although the plasticized version of cheese that most Americans are familiar with is certainly Americanized.

I prefer non dairy ice cream to dairy ice cream, but anything that formerly had good quality cheese in it is not quite as good without it. For example, I make a good pesto, but it's not as good as the pesto I used to make with freshly grated Parmesano.
#15 Old 04-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Trust me, I've eaten good cheese. I just don't miss it. When I think now about what it really is, it completely grosses me out.

I truly don't notice a difference in flavor in my vegan pesto either. Even my omni husband didn't notice when I started making vegan pesto instead of the "regular" kind with fresh grated parm.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#16 Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

the plasticized version of cheese that most Americans are familiar with is certainly Americanized.

The actual term is poop-cheese. (Don't feel bad for not knowing; it's a highly technical term.)
#17 Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Cereal! Pesto! Oatmeal! Coffee (OMFG Soy Caramel Macciato Anyone, anyone at all?), CAKE!, Omg, Grilled cheese. I know, that's counter intuitive, but Daiya Grilled cheese > normal grilled cheese.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#18 Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've never had almond milk, but I don't find soy disgusting. Not particularly keen on it straight out the carton, but heat it up and add some coffee or cocoa powder, and I adore it.

Quote:

I think my problem with cheese is that it hurts me. I used to love the stuff, and I've had some damn good cheeses in my time. I just don't miss it because of what it does to my stomach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

let's face it: cheese is a shameful addiction. i knew a guy who used to clean under his fingernails with a knife and eat it. he obviously thought it tasted good, but i could never get hooked on it.
#20 Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

I've never had almond milk

oh my god! (and i'm an athiest). get thee to the store immediately and buy a slice of heaven. you many wake up on your kitchen floor in three days with several empty cartons around you, so be forewarned. the stuff is so fabulous you'll never want any other kind of milk.
#21 Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I am Swiss, so I think I have tasted some of the best cheeses there are. I don't miss any of them at all. It seems like while you eat them you can't get enough. I was a huge cheese eater. But once you stop you don't have that much temptation for them.

I have the strangest cravings now!

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#22 Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

+1.5 (I count for that these days *wink)

I am not vegan yet although trying to eat more that way (cheese is my biggest pit fall), and I am so SO with Semi on this one. I know I could live without it, but I can't say things taste BETTER without cheese, I just tend to feel better (physically and mentally) when i don't eat it.

That said I noticed things I used to make covered in cheese taste better with less of it added (pregnancy has allowed me to cut back as I don't seem to want it smothering everything, but I still want it for it's flavor, i wont lie) but I sure don't think I can honestly say there is anything I truly like more minus the cheese (granted the vegan pizza I made was pretty mush the best ever, BUT that included Daiya, and therefore I count that as still having the flavor of cheese)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#23 Old 04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I can't think of anything that tastes better without dairy, actually. (Unless I am talking about crappy cheese. Then just about everything tastes better without processed crap cheese. Good cheese, though? Nothing vegan comes CLOSE.)

Everything gets ethically better, though. And I feel better eating it, so I take greater pleasure in my food.

I'm the opposite. I really hate the cow-y aftertaste and disgusting smell of anything with animal dairy in it (I'm sure it smells great to calves, but they get it fresh). It makes foods inedible to me. There have been times when, for example at a Thai restaurant I ordered a Thai iced tea with coconut milk instead of cow dairy, and as soon as I tried to take a sip and realized that they had put in cow dairy - yuck - leaving aside the murky ethical issues, I wouldn't even be a freegan with dairy - it's gross.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#24 Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oh my god! (and i'm an athiest). get thee to the store immediately and buy a slice of heaven. you many wake up on your kitchen floor in three days with several empty cartons around you, so be forewarned. the stuff is so fabulous you'll never want any other kind of milk.

I've wanted to try it for a while, but I've never seen it in stores. The only milks I've had are soy and rice.

#25 Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've wanted to try it for a while, but I've never seen it in stores. The only milks I've had are soy and rice.

Almond milk is like £3-£3.50 a litre in the UK- so expensive! I've seen it in Waitrose and Holland and Barrett. I actually find it too sweet for many purposes and prefer soya milk.
#26 Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Coffee is definitely better with soya milk than dairy!
#27 Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Almond milk is like £3-£3.50 a litre in the UK- so expensive! I've seen it in Waitrose and Holland and Barrett. I actually find it too sweet for many purposes and prefer soya milk.

YOUWAH?! Eff that, I can get like 5 litres of soy for that.

#28 Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

you apparently don't have a well developed product line. in america, we've got sweetened and unsweetened in chocolate, vanilla, and plain. they are all wonderful products.
#29 Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

you apparently don't have a well developed product line. in america, we've got sweetened and unsweetened in chocolate, vanilla, and plain. they are all wonderful products.

We're number ONE!!!!!

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#30 Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

YOUWAH?! Eff that, I can get like 5 litres of soy for that.

here in america, it's 1/2 gallon for $3.00. a couple of years ago, you couldn't find it. now it's gaining serious popularity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page