Going on a Road trip - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Hey all..

So next month I'm driving across country with my boyfriend (from Ohio to California), we will be going through Illinois (Chicago), Minnesota (Mall of America), South Dakota (Wall Drug, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse), spending a few days in Yellowstone, MT. a night in Elko NV and finally ending up in my hometown in California.

I have the VeganXpress application on my IPhone, along with the VegOut guide (pretty useless in Montana and South Dakota), and Im not too concerned about vegan options in Minnesota or Illinois, but more concerned throughout South Dakota and Montana...

Aside from packing a bunch of vegan non perishables (limited car space), and hopefully finding a grocery store along the way, anyone have any restaurant suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not familiar with either of the states in question but both should at a minimum have some Subways and Taco Bells. (Not the most appealing options, but they'll do in a pinch. I often end up eating there during the drive from Michigan to Kansas.)

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

You should check out Sarah Kramer's little cookbook "Vegan A-Go-Go" It has vegan road trip tips and quick little recipes made from ingredients you can get from any grocery store.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

no suggestions but I love road trips! have fun!!!

Atame.
#5 Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

No suggestions from me either, I'm into road trips and plan to do one next year across the USA. Can't wait to hear about it.
#6 Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

OHHH I LOVED CRAZY HORSE!

but good luck finding anything to eat. we stayed in keystone a few years ago when i was only veg*n and all i could find were grilled cheese sandwiches could be better now. but regardless, Crazy Horse and Keystone (mt rushmore town) are great. come to think of it there was a little retaurant by our hotel that had veg*n options, but i dont remember if there was anything vegan....

anywho, have FUN! and if you get a chance visit the cosmos mystery area of the black hills. it is so great:

Attachment 15220

not me, just and example of the fun from google images!
LL
#7 Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

OHHH I LOVED CRAZY HORSE!

but good luck finding anything to eat. we stayed in keystone a few years ago when i was only veg*n and all i could find were grilled cheese sandwiches could be better now. but regardless, Crazy Horse and Keystone (mt rushmore town) are great. come to think of it there was a little retaurant by our hotel that had veg*n options, but i dont remember if there was anything vegan....

anywho, have FUN! and if you get a chance visit the cosmos mystery area of the black hills. it is so great:

Attachment 15220

not me, just and example of the fun from google images!

ooh, yah, we are also staying the night in Keystone before our drive to Yellowstone.. I will keep that in mind and also just do some internet checking around. 8 days is the plan from Ohio to California, Im definitely stoked! But of course concerned that I'm not going to be able to eat as well as I would like to..

I wil check out Cosmos mystery area to see if its something we can put in our plan.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#8 Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite spots in Chicago:

Handlebar. Casual, sandwichy kind of place. Really good food. I always get either their Buffalo "chicken" wrap, or the BBQ seitan sandwich. Oh, and the fried pickle appetizer (comes with amazing vegan ranch dressing).

Chicago Diner. Similar kind of place. I've heard it can be hit-or-miss, but I've never had anything bad there. My fav's are the vegan nachos (with Upton's seitan) and the Radical Ruben sandwich.

Between those two places, I'd recommend Handlebar.

Karyn's on Green. The best of the bunch, but it's definitely a fancier place. If you want to go out for a nice dinner while you're in town, don't miss it. There's also Karyn's Cooked. Little more casual, super good as well. The vegan pizza there is amazing. You can't go wrong with either Karyn's (she also has a raw restaurant, wich I've never been to).

Hope that helps. I'll post more if I think of any.
#9 Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNV View Post

ooh, yah, we are also staying the night in Keystone before our drive to Yellowstone.. I will keep that in mind and also just do some internet checking around. 8 days is the plan from Ohio to California, Im definitely stoked! But of course concerned that I'm not going to be able to eat as well as I would like to..

I wil check out Cosmos mystery area to see if its something we can put in our plan.

we stayed at the holiday inn express i think. it's right next to the town shops, which are really cool. if i remember correctly there was a restaurant right next to the hotel, and then on the other side of the town shops is the restaurant i liked...i think you can see mt rushmore outside of it. i do remember there is a giant Adirondack chair outside of it. they might be worth checking out.

as for cosmos, it's really cool but if you don't have time, no big deal. but crazy horse is a must! when we were there they were blowing up some of the mountain for the horses ear. it was really awesome. have funnnnn!
#10 Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM

I've either never been to any of those places or I've just been once, passing through. I do road trips all the time (I'm a musician), and I always make sure to pack lots of Clif and Luna bars, as well as peanut butter sandwiches and homemade granola bars. Veggie chips and coconut water are also great traveling foods. Good luck, and have fun!

The Traveling Austin Vegan - http://thetravelingaustinvegan.blogspot.com
#11 Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Where in California will you be?

*this space not for sale*
#12 Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

You should check out Sarah Kramer's little cookbook "Vegan A-Go-Go" It has vegan road trip tips and quick little recipes made from ingredients you can get from any grocery store.

This book is futile unless you plan to travel with your food processor and your oven!

You should sing up on couchsurfing.org to see if you can meet with some vegans in South Dakota and Montana. They should know which restaurant have vegan's options. If you want me to refer you, you can send me a private message.

I've travelled by there a couple times and It was easy to find vegan food in grocery stores. Specially in Rapid City. Although, I'll recommend you not to rely on restaurants, because everywhere you go, you can find ingredients to prepare a meal. At least with beans and veggies. You don't have to go in a Subway to eat a sandwich and you don't have to go in a Taco Bell to eat re fried beans. Of course, if it's what you want, do it.

A little advice, don't carry a lot non perishables as you can buy them along the road with fresh veggies. In every little town, people tend to eat, and in every little town, they tend to have vegan food in their grocery store. Maybe not vegan snacks, but usually you can find what you're looking for.

Don't expect to find any vegan food in Yellowstone. There's only a couple fruits for 3 times the price you'll pay in a grocery store. Plan your meals in advance and buy food in Cody, the last city before the park.

Have fun!
#13 Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM

In most places with a major supermarket like Safeway, Dominicks, etc. you should be alright. Take a small cooler (a little one) and then you can keep a day or so worth of food in case you think you're going to be going through a rough patch. If you have the budget, definitely splurge on good veg restaurants when you're in big cities, but don't hesitate to try out small places too. I've travelled all over the US as a vegetarian, and somewhat as a vegan, and a bit of creativity can end in some good meals. Also, in a pinch, you can put together sides at a restaurant sometimes to make a meal. Ethnic places = also good bets.

If you have Urban Spoon on your phone, you can search most places in the US by "vegetarian friendly", or something like that, which might give you some ideas too. There's a really good fast food list somewhere too, but I can't seem to find it yet.

Fun fun! We're going on a mini-road-trip when we're in the States in the summer. So excited I could scream.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

we stayed at the holiday inn express i think. it's right next to the town shops, which are really cool. if i remember correctly there was a restaurant right next to the hotel, and then on the other side of the town shops is the restaurant i liked...i think you can see mt rushmore outside of it. i do remember there is a giant Adirondack chair outside of it. they might be worth checking out.

as for cosmos, it's really cool but if you don't have time, no big deal. but crazy horse is a must! when we were there they were blowing up some of the mountain for the horses ear. it was really awesome. have funnnnn!

Staying in Travelodge in Keystone, but plans changed and we are now staying 2 days in Keystone, we want to go to Badlands as well. Definitely will check out those areas. I will check out those areas.

Thanks again.

#15 Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Where in California will you be?

I live in Sacramento (well Fair Oaks).. So we will be there.. We have some day trips planned as well. Yosemite, Mt Lassen, and San Francisco (Pier 39)..

I'm kinda hoping when we're in SF that we can make it over to Paxti's for their vegan chicago stuffed pizza. (It was soo good.)

#16 Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by courge View Post

This book is futile unless you plan to travel with your food processor and your oven!

You should sing up on couchsurfing.org to see if you can meet with some vegans in South Dakota and Montana. They should know which restaurant have vegan's options. If you want me to refer you, you can send me a private message.

Don't expect to find any vegan food in Yellowstone. There's only a couple fruits for 3 times the price you'll pay in a grocery store. Plan your meals in advance and buy food in Cody, the last city before the park.

Have fun!

Good to know about Yellowstone, since we are staying there for 3 days, I will make sure that I get that stop into Cody. Thanks alot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page