Emotional Mess - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Beginner

I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to become more "animal friendly", preferably converting him into vegan.

The other night, I was reading some things that happen in slaughterhouses from the "vegetarian starter kit" I received in the mail. After reading all the horrific things, I came across this portion of it called "A Story about Hope":

Quote:
During the pre-dawn hours of a cold December morning, two undercover Mercy For Animals' investigators discovered a hen they would later name Hope. She had been tossed in a filth-encrusted trashcan by a worker at the egg farm- left to die amid the rotting bodies of countless dead hens.

As one investigator recalled, "the already unbearable consciousness of this hell worsened when I noticed movement in one of the trash bings. I easily would have mistaken this hen, determined to survive, for a lifeless corpse had she not lifted her tiny head, stared at me with curiosity, and blinked her eyes from atop the pile".

Hope was given a second chance at life that morning when investigators reached into that rusted steel bin and lifted her to safety. Today, after being left for dead by the egg industry, Hope was fully recovered. Her sinus infection, wing hemotoma, bruises, abrasions, and damaged feathers have all been treated and cured. Today she lives free of cruel battery cage, enjoying the company of other rescued chickens on a wonderful farmed animal santuary.

I was on the phone with him and then I started to bawl. I told him I couldn't read anymore.

I don't know, either I've become an emotional mess or I'm crazy?

Thought I share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you're a mess just from that. i've cried from that starter kit too. (i'm an emotional mess from other thigns...lol)

Atame.
#3 Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

I don't think you're a mess just from that. i've cried from that starter kit too. (i'm an emotional mess from other thigns...lol)

Aww, thanks! I guess we can be an emotional mess together

Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

You're not crazy. This is a perfectly reasonable response for an empathetical creature such as a human to feel when considering the suffering of another sentient being.

Often times when confronted by the sheer scale of the suffering and oppression of other living beings, it is easy to give in to pessimism or despair, but remember that not too long ago in our own history even in enlightened countries like the U.S., other humans were held in bondage and abused in similar ways simply because they were born with another skin color. Look at how rapidly our civilization has advanced within the past 200 to 300 years alone. Is it unreasonable to assume that at some point in the not too distant future (thanks in part to efforts of activists and whistle blowers) that abstaining from eating or enslaving animals will not be seen as fringe ethics but as no more than simple human decency? Perhaps helping to spread that ethic is how those of us who have been awakened to these horrors in the present can live a meaningful life. I like to think so.

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Beginner

I fully agree Josh James, it's extremely easy to just turn the blind eye when it comes to others suffering whether it be humans (slavery-discrimination) or animals. It really makes you compassionate when injustice occurs.
#6 Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so much of an emotional mess when it comes to things like this, I didn't even read your except. Knowing it would upset me too much. I saw a graphic picture I wasn't expecting to see on a vegan web site and I still can't get it out of my mind. I think about animals being killed often. If I watched a graphic video, I really don't think I could take it. Call me wimpy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page