why do you practice veganism? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Hi guys:

I am new to VeggieBoards and wondering why you have decided to practice veganism. What is your motivation, or what are your motivations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Any animal that can choose to live in secure, climate controlled homes, use transportation to carry them almost anywhere, and @#^& up every inch of land, water and air that they can, do not need to use other animals for anything!
The idea of artifically creating breeds so mutant they can't survive on their own, raping them so they reproduce, confining them so they can't do anything instintual, then sending them off to be brutally slaughtered. Not my idea of the "circle of life"
Animal testing is useless, and only for keeping companies out of legal battles.

I've also never felt better since turning vegan!
I love to cook-it's now easier, and more creative (that took a while!)
Most health issues can be changed by healthy vegan diets.

Welcome to veggieboards!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't need to use animal products to survive.

As a result, using animal products is a choice.

So I choose not to support the harm, exploitation, torture, death, etc. of animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Because I know better and I'm not a totally selfish *******.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It's the basic foundation of common decency to all beings, and the best match for my ethics.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It is unnecessary to my survival to consume animal products, so I choose not to participate in their suffering, exploitation, and death.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#7 Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess for me, it started when I learned more about what my dietary choices were contributing to as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Dairy cows are impregnated over and over and have their calves taken away (to become veal) so humans can drink the milk intended for their babies. They also are killed well before the end of their natural lives and used for meat (generally ground beef from what I understand.) Egg laying hens are usually confined to a very tiny space for their entire lives and eventually are sent to slaughter as well. Also, the egg industry results in the death of millions of baby male chicks every year; they are killed because they are useless to the industry (i.e. they can't become future layers.)

The more I learned about how animals in non-food industries are treated, the more I wanted to avoid contributing to those as well. Sheep used for wool are sheared roughly and subjected to a painful procedure called mulesing. Animals used for cosmetics testing suffer in various ways too, etc. It just seemed to go on and on, and the more I learned, the more I felt that the simple choice to avoid ALL animal products was the best way for me to live consistently with my morals. It took me a long time to come around to this point, but I feel amazing knowing that I am doing all I can not to contribute to any animals being killed or harmed in any way.
#8 Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey3 View Post

Hi guys:

I am new to VeggieBoards and wondering why you have decided to practice veganism. What is your motivation, or what are your motivations?

I do it for the chicks.

Tam! RUGH!
#9 Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

plenty of reasons to do it for your health. animal products, despite the propoganda campaigns of the meat and dairy and egg industries, are just not good for you. after you stop eating them for awhile, they become *nasty* and utterly disgusting. when i say they aren't good for you, i mean that they are terrible for your health. the average person in north america eats 6 to 10 times more protein than they need. yet the average person says "without meat, i won't have enough protien!"

heart disease is the leading cause of death in america. i work in medicine, and i've seen so many heart attacks and surgeries and vascular disease and strokes that i've become a firm believer that the human animal isn't designed for a long life eating animal products. even fat free dairy and egg products exacerbate allergy and autoimmune disorders. it's really about living with the best health you can have.

a well planned vegan diet is the best for health. you'll feel a lot better. food becomes a lot more interesting.
#10 Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I do it for the chicks.[/url]

So sad...

Jean-Paul Sartre
#11 Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

So sad...

It is sad, but every person that sees that video or other ones like it will have a compelling reason to eat fewer animals. I practice veganism because I wouldn't treat a cow, chicken, pig, sheep or turkey and differently from a cat, dog, hamster or human and I wouldn't pay anyone else to either.

Tam! RUGH!
#12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

everything listed here. i know better. i thrive without it. i do not want to or need to use animals in any way. they are not here for me, they are here for themselves. and plants support all life on this planet in one way or another. what could be better than plants to support my life? nothing.
#13 Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It is sad, but every person that sees that video or other ones like it will have a compelling reason to eat fewer animals. I practice veganism because I wouldn't treat a cow, chicken, pig, sheep or turkey and differently from a cat, dog, hamster or human and I wouldn't pay anyone else to either.

I agree. I just hate watching it. But I show it to so many people. Now if only they'd make the connection...

Jean-Paul Sartre
#14 Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I agree. I just hate watching it. But I show it to so many people. Now if only they'd make the connection...

Most people already believe hurting animals is wrong. Society has simply "taught them better" than to live fully by their ethics. We can be the ones to hold a mirror up so that they may peer back into their own souls and make compassionate choices. Such choices define us as humans, and by proxy as vegans.

Tam! RUGH!
#15 Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Most people already believe hurting animals is wrong. Society has simply "taught them better" than to live fully by their ethics. We can be the ones to hold a mirror up so that they may peer back into their own souls and make compassionate choices. Such choices define us as humans, and by proxy as vegans.

I like to think that we are stand-ins for the animals that people consume.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#16 Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't call it a practice. It's become part of my existence. I'm vegan for the animals.
#17 Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Because practice makes perfect? =P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I was raised veggie and grew up thinking that I was living a kind life. I started to get the idea that that wasn't true, and started using soya margarine and soya milk, but still ate cheese, and eggs when they were in cakes. I hadn't really looked into veganism at that point, it was more of a niggling feeling. When I found out that eggs and dairy cause as much, if not more, suffering than meat, (after watching the video meat your meat and reading some articles about veganism) I just gave them up. Then I learned about the harm honey and wool can cause and I gave them up too (not that I was really using/ wearing them much before). I've just had my veganniversary and can't ever imagine being any other way... It's part of me now.
#19 Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Beginner

I don't practice veganism, I live it.

http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rights in Colombia)

I support freedom of thought: Everyone has the right to be wrong.
#20 Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Good for the animals, for the planet and for me. Great food. A clean conscience.

What's not to love?

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#21 Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Animal rights, environment, world hunger, personal health, better cooking skills. Seems good all around to me. If you need more information on any of our reasons and how veganism relates to them, feel free to ask.

Here's a quote from a speech that sums up the animal rights perspective for me:

Quote:
The other animals humans eat, use in science, hunt, trap, and exploit in a variety of ways, have a life of their own that is of importance to them apart from their utility to us. They are not only in the world, they are aware of it. What happens to them matters to them. Each has a life that fares better or worse for the one whose life it is.

That life includes a variety of biological, individual, and social needs. The satisfaction of these needs is a source of pleasure, their frustration or abuse, a source of pain. In these fundamental ways, the nonhuman animals in labs and on farms, for example, are the same as human beings. And so it is that the ethics of our dealings with them, and with one another, must acknowledge the same fundamental moral principles.

-Tom Regan

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#22 Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Because one cannot ignore the peoplehood of all animals and continue to support cruelty one is a part of.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#23 Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Murder does not taste good. I do it for the animals. Animals. Animals.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#24 Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Cos I'm sooooo rock and roll.

m8itcanw8.com
#25 Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM

just because something is socially acceptable doesn't make it morally justifiable.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#26 Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Tom Cruise doesn't, so I figure I am less like him if I do.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#27 Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM

What Silva said - my sentiments exactly, and I could not have said it better.
#28 Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda66 View Post

What Silva said - my sentiments exactly, and I could not have said it better.

Yay! Positive reinforcements!
Thank you, I'm not known for wording things well!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Beginner

To have a better health, To end world hunger, To save the animals, And To save the planet.
Seed love to reap love.
it is pure logic.

herb is the gift from the earth and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth
so before you knock it try it first
you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse
#30 Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Because practice makes perfect? =P

Practice makes perfect. The perfect is the enemy of the good. I am good, therefore, I do not practice veganism; I just do it. =P

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page