Need advice with making vegan cookies! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

So today I decided to bake some chocolate chip cookies. I used the recipe found in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I followed the recipe almost exactly, except using rice milk instead of almond, and arrowroot starch instead of tapioca. The recipe says that you end up with a stiff dough that can be rolled into balls. I ended up with a liquidy dough the was sticky and I had to spoon onto the sheet. Then it ran and I ended up with a giant rectangular cookie. Tasted fine though. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Next time you might just try adding a little more flour. Sometimes the moisture in cookies can vary depending on the humidity and such.
#3 Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Riot Nrrrd

My guess would be the differences in rice milk and almond milk. Almond milk has a higher fat content. Rice milk seems more like cloudy water than anything else to me. Baking is just applied chemistry and seemingly minor things like that can tank the whole enterprise. Tapioca and arrowroot behave very similarly so I don't think that part caused the liquidy dough, but I've never tried that particular cookie recipe.

And sometimes things just happen. Screws fall out, dough doesn't mix up right ... It's an imperfect world

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I use soy milk (Silk) and it's great.
#5 Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM

i find oat milk works best in cooking ^-^ especially in muffins, coz when i make muffins with soy milk, they go all sticky. i tried making cookies once but they came out three inches across and two inches tall, and practically on fire i burned them so badly. still, they tasted okay with icing on top...icing saves all failed cooking~

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#6 Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

I doubled that recipe- I don't remember if I used soy or almond milk. I used cornstarch, which I would think acts just like arrowroot because I routinely use either. Anyway, they came great, the batter was thick and sticky, but the chips just didn't want to blend in, for some reason they wanted to fall out of the batter. They were okay, they did bake well. Think maybe something went wrong in measuring?

I actually liked the old toll house recipe with 1/2 the margarine subbed for coconut oil, and cornstarch and water for the eggs.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I should say I have made these cookies - I used soymilk and tapioca starch. I don't recall if the dough was a little sticky - I tend to think it wasn't, but I can't say for sure. I didn't have any problem with it spreading too much.

I also like the Toll House recipe - I substitute shortening for the butter/margarine, and have used either flax eggs or ener-G egg replacer -- either works nicely, but the texture of the ener-G ones is a little better.
#8 Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Next time you might just try adding a little more flour. Sometimes the moisture in cookies can vary depending on the humidity and such.

I agree with this, when baking I've learned (the hard way!) that if something seems to have the wrong texture it's better to use common sense and put it right then leave it and hope it turns out okay ! (Luckily for you it did!). If your mixture is too wet, add some flour. Too dry, add some milk of your choice. Etc

Anyway seems like a perfect reason, to me, to try again!
#9 Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I always do that recipe! also the one with the whole wheat flour - which is a little yummier I think. anyways, I just put a light coat of flour on my hands to handle the dough. Then I just roll it into balls and squish it down a little. they always come out great!

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#10 Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I used cornstarch, which I would think acts just like arrowroot because I routinely use either

Cornstarch mucks up frozen stuff and doesn't work well with acidic stuff (think tomato based sauce). Arrowroot gets slimy in dairy-based sauces but I THINK doesn't with nondairy 'dairy'. Dunno though cuz I don't use cow milk and arrowroot is too pricey anyway. Otherwise they're pretty much interchangeable far as I know.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

My dough was also sort of sticky and runny. I've found that that author's cookie recipes are VERY VERY hit or miss. A lot of them require some tweaking. I actually didn't even buy the cookie book because of this, but my husband got it for me for christmas. I've found that most omni cookie recipes work well if you use margarine instead of butter, and 1/4 cup soy yogurt or pureed silken tofu per egg you need to replace.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page