Vegan Movement Gains Momentum on The Martha Stewart Show March 30th - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/mediace...wart_show.html

Quote:
During her reign as Americas domestic icon, Martha Stewart has shown millions of people how to baste a turkey, braise a lamb and roast a chicken, but this Wednesday, March 30th, the woman who wrote the book (literally) on home entertaining will devote an entire hour-long episode of The Martha Stewart Show(Hallmark Channel, 10 AM ET/9 AM C same day encore airing, 2 PM ET/next day airing, 1 PM ET) to the pleasures and benefits of a vegan lifestyle. Stewarts groundbreaking Vegan Show will feature interviews and cooking demonstrations with some of the countrys most influential vegans, including a sit down with Farm Sanctuary President and Co-Founder Gene Baur, who will inform viewers of the suffering endured by animals raised for food on factory farms.

No meat, no milk, no eggs no problem!

To demonstrate just how easy and delicious compassionate living can be, Twitter Co-Founder Biz Stone, who went vegan more than 10 years ago after visiting Farm Sanctuarys New York Shelter, will help Stewart make vegan fruit & nut bars, and former model turned healthy-living guru Kathy Freston will share her tips for adding more vegan meals into your diet, directly from her book Veganist.

A Burgeoning Food Movement
The Martha Stewart Shows special Vegan Show demonstrates a glimpse into the growing mainstream movement away from unhealthy, cruelly produced animal foods and toward healthy, cruelty-free plant-based foods. Im honored to be a part of Martha Stewarts first-ever Vegan Show, says Baur, whose groundbreaking organization worked to pass the first U.S. laws to protect animals on farms, initiated the first cruelty convictions at stockyards and slaughterhouses, and persuaded Burger King to put a veggie burger on their menus nationwide. When it comes to setting modern lifestyle trends, there is no one more influential than Martha, and with 9 billion animals annually being subjected to abuses so horrifying they cannot be shown on daytime television, I hope viewers will come away inspired to embrace a compassionate lifestyle. We want to show that protecting animals from cruelty is as simple and delicious as choosing to eat plant-based foods.

The episode will also treat viewers to a heartwarming look at the blissful life enjoyed by the rescued animals who reside at Farm Sanctuarys bicoastal shelters located in Orland, California and Watkins Glen, New York. Members of Stewarts studio audience will take home a copy of Baurs best-selling book, Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food (Touchstone), which was praised by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. for being a compelling testament to the need to civilize this industry and end its radical practices for producing meat, dairy, and eggs."

It should be an exciting episode, be sure to tune in tomorrow!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there any chance of watching it online somewhere? It sounds exciting!

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#3 Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure, us people not in the States are probably out of luck though. However, it will definitely be easy to find after it airs if you know where to look

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Beginner

That is awesome! I lovee seeing vegan stuff in mainstream media.

<3
Heather

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one." -E. Roosevelt
#5 Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Anyone no if it will be available online once it airs?
#6 Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

There's a preview and the recipes here: http://www.marthastewart.com/show/th...with-biz-stone

I haven't had luck finding the whole episode yet though, it takes awhile to pop up after it airs. Did anyone catch it on TV?

#7 Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.marthastewart.com/show/th...003d370a0aRCRD

I found a clip at least! I really like that Gene Bauer is passing on so much information here, a LOT of people watch this show.

#8 Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

A little while back they were looking for vegans to be in the audience.

I was never really a fan, but if it goes up online or maybe if it's on On Demand now I'll watch it.

And a note about the clip: Persia is at the California shelter, but the videos in the beginning are from the New York one. The chicken video is at CA.
I met Gene at the CA Thanksgiving Celebration For the Turkeys. He introduced himself to the other interns and I. It was exciting. He's super nice.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#9 Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

goats make me so happy
#10 Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine who was in the studio audience told me it aired live, so it should be showing up on youtube.com soon.
#11 Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I DVR'd it. It was ok. The twitter guy and his seitan recipe for "beef" stew was interesting. Martha made a fruit and nut bar using honey (oooh stir up the debate). I had to turn it off because I find her so bland. I'll watch the rest tomorrow.
#12 Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newask View Post

Martha made a fruit and nut bar using honey (oooh stir up the debate).

On a vegan show?! Impossible!

It was actually a BEEGAN show.
#13 Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a lot of 'vegan' recipes on her website that use honey. I was disappoint.

If the show turns up on youtube or anything, though, I think it'd be interesting to watch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

There's a lot of 'vegan' recipes on her website that use honey. I was disappoint.

If the show turns up on youtube or anything, though, I think it'd be interesting to watch

1 - Let's not nitpick over honey when there's a show on national tv that give serious, tasty alternatives to foods containing dairy and eggs. Priorities! While it may seem perfectly sensible and logical for us to abstain from honey, pushing anti-honey rhetoric too strongly gives many omnivores another excuse to not try plant based diets at all.

2 - Here's your link.

Tam! RUGH!
#15 Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

1 - Let's not nitpick over honey when there's a show on national tv that give serious, tasty alternatives to foods containing dairy and eggs. Priorities! While it may seem perfectly sensible and logical for us to abstain from honey, pushing anti-honey rhetoric too strongly gives many omnivores another excuse to not try plant based diets at all.

2 - Here's your link.

I agree, honey is absolutely not vegan of course but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch about it. I'm just thrilled plant based diets are getting so much attention! Looking at the big picture her getting one thing wrong doesn't outweigh how awesome it is that millions of people are being exposed to all this information.

#16 Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I agree, honey is absolutely not vegan of course but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch about it. I'm just thrilled plant based diets are getting so much attention! Looking at the big picture her getting one thing wrong doesn't outweigh how awesome it is that millions of people are being exposed to all this information.

See..look at you. Reasonable after all! You'd make a great animal activist because you're interested in the big picture of promoting a more compassionate lifestyle rather than focusing on minute details. That's the Vegan Outreach philosophy you know.

Tam! RUGH!
#17 Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I wasn't nitpicking or getting annoyed, just disappointed that I'd have to modify a supposedly vegan recipe. Of course it's great that the word is getting out there and people are being shown how awesome a vegan diet can be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Let's not nitpick over honey when there's a show on national tv that give serious, tasty alternatives to foods containing dairy and eggs. Priorities! While it may seem perfectly sensible and logical for us to abstain from honey, pushing anti-honey rhetoric too strongly gives many omnivores another excuse to not try plant based diets at all.

Word.
#19 Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I wasn't nitpicking or getting annoyed, just disappointed that I'd have to modify a supposedly vegan recipe. Of course it's great that the word is getting out there and people are being shown how awesome a vegan diet can be.

Oh sorry, that wasn't directed at you. Looking back I can see how the 'panties in a bunch' thing sounded snarky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page