Homemade laundry detergent :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

So I'm really interested in making homemade laundry soap, but I'm trying to figure out alternatives that are not tested on animals. I'm going to replace the Ivory soap with Dr. Bronner's, but I'm stumped on the others.

Here is what I need to replace:

Arm & Hammer washing soda (animal tested)
20 Mule Team Borax (animal tested)

These are the recipes I've looked at:
http://offbeathome.com/2011/03/make-laundry-soap
http://diynatural.com/simple-easy-fa...dry-detergent/

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

the arm and hammer is just baking soda right? there are other brands of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that do not test on animals, Whole Foods has some that is good, also generic usually is not tested on animals so look for those when you shop.
#3 Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, Google says baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and you can eat it, washing soda is sodium carbonate and you can't. I don't know if using baking soda instead would work or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Hmm, Google says baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and you can eat it, washing soda is sodium carbonate and you can't. I don't know if using baking soda instead would work or not.

Well, the sodium carbonate would have twice as much sodium per mole (although only about 1.6 times as much sodium per unit weight -- slightly more than table salt), and it would be pretty basic, whereas bicarbonate is almost neutral, but it's not as if it's toxic (except insofar as, like table salt and baking soda, too much sodium can be toxic). Of course, if you're talking laundry detergent not intended for human consumption, then it might not be up to the purity standards of baking soda intended for food.

(Insert I am not a doctor and don't even play one on TV disclaimer.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page