Yet Another Amusing Ex-Vegan Article - Filled with pretentiousness! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Guess I'm not 'most vegans'. Love my faux-leopard print blanket!

I love my faux-leopard print cushion cover!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

At least she doesn't try to justify the eating of meat in general.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#33 Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

Can I just roll my eyes?

You and me BOTH! I swear I got a headache from shaking my head so hard after reading that article! And DAMN I wish people would understand that NOT ALL VEGANS ARE THE SAME OR HAVE WALKED THE SAME PATH TO GET HERE! I only get the fake stuff every now and then (I love my 70 calorie boca burgers!) and rarely eat tofu, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I love my faux-leopard print cushion cover!

I also love my faux leopard print throw, and matching cushions.... I think vegan or not, some people just love the leopard print.
#35 Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

What I find disturbing about the "ex-vegan articles" is that it holds a mirror up to vegans as a group.

I've met so many wonderful people through my interest in veganism and animal rights. I've also met so many people I would have cared not to meet. Veganism/AR tends to attract people who are angry, pretentious, negative, overly-idealistic and sloppy with facts.

As computer programmers from an earlier error used to say GIGO ( Garbage In, Garbage Out ).

You get pretentious, negative, overly idealistic people who are sloppy about facts going into animal rights or veganism, so, that is who the ex-vegans are going to be. Same people, same qualities, just pointed in a different direction.

Before I get accused of being a hater let me just point out that I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years, a vegan for over 15 and a volunteer with several AR groups. I've met some of closest friends through these things.

I will admit this post is probably useless, beyond venting my own frustrations. A person who is being a __________ wouldn't be a _______ if s/he could see that s/he was being a __________.
#36 Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestphoenix View Post

I also love my faux leopard print throw, and matching cushions.... I think vegan or not, some people just love the leopard print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

What I find disturbing about the "ex-vegan articles" is that it holds a mirror up to vegans as a group.
Veganism/AR tends to attract people who are angry, pretentious, negative, overly-idealistic and sloppy with facts.

I really haven't had that same experience. I've only been vegan for 4 years and I haven't been involved in AR though. I can see why dedicated people working for AR daily could become disillusioned with humans however.
#37 Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The bit about the agave nectar really got me - yes, it comes from far away, carbon footprint, out of season etc. But so do coffee and chocolate! And I seriously doubt this person gave up those two delightful treats because they weren't grown locally and in-season. Also, as far as workers on agave farms being treated well, has she never heard of fair trade? DUH.
#38 Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

This article also ignores a basic tenet of veganism that animals and their products are not ours to use/consume. In addition, her mentioning how much she likes the taste of eggs nearly made me stop reading. It's the same reason omnis use for continuing to eat meat simply because they enjoy the taste of it.
#39 Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

This article also ignores a basic tenet of veganism that animals and their products are not ours to use/consume. In addition, her mentioning how much she likes the taste of eggs nearly made me stop reading. It's the same reason omnis use for continuing to eat meat simply because they enjoy the taste of it.

Well said. There are four reasons why people consume animal flesh; taste, habit, tradition & convenience. To me thats not enough reason to continue killing and exploiting our animal brethren.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#40 Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

I don't have a problem with processed foods...What is it about manipulating ingredients is so bad anyway?

A lot of faux meat is probably no more processed than most cakes; probably faux cheeses too.

#41 Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

True, but people who care about their health use cake as a dessert, not as a dietary staple
#42 Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i didn't read the whole article. but i will say i would just rescue chickens to rescue them. i would give them a lovely home and food and care. but i would never eat their eggs. eggs are gross. just feed them back to the chicken, if they want to eat them.

i mean...it is chicken menstruation.
#43 Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

i didn't read the whole article. but i will say i would just rescue chickens to rescue them. i would give them a lovely home and food and care. but i would never eat their eggs. eggs are gross. just feed them back to the chicken, if they want to eat them.

i mean...it is chicken menstruation.

Agreed! Same with the oyster thing. I mean, who wants to eat oysters? They're all slimy!

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#44 Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

gah! it is physically impossible to justify the murder and butchery of animals. there isnt a single moral aspect in that. there are obvious moral aspects to going vegan. therefore going vegan is the moral option. i hate it when people think eating meat is wrong but at the end of the day, they dont care enough to stand up for their moral convictions. humans are born with consciences. what is the point in knowing something is wrong if we're gonna continue to do it? we have consciences for a reason! actions speak louder than words.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page