My opinion. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Why is it that humans are the only species that are allowed natural and basic rights. Why is it okay to enslave billions of non humans and systematically slaughter them, but it is an atrocity to do so to millions of humans. Is it because we have evolved further than them? Is it because we are "more intelligent?" I question the true intelligence of our species. Our daily lives revolve around one thing, personal gain, and to achieve this we are willing to rape, enslave, torture, and murder anyone and anything that gets in our way, including non humans, humans, and the planet we call home. If we want to survive as a species, as a community, as a planet, then we have to respect all species, all communities, and our planet. Devote your life to more than personal gain, devote it to saving the planet and its inhabitants, go vegan.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

:applause:
Damn I thought that would work, but you get the idea lol

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#3 Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much my thinking. I detest how most people consider themselves superior to other life forms, and think that we have some sort of 'right to life' over other creatures that don't share our exact biological make-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My experience has shown me that such language is probably not the best way to convince the average human to eat fewer or no animals, especially when you suggest people on a vegan subforum go vegan. I'd say at the very least if you're going to suggest someone go vegan, you could try a crowd who aren't already all vegan. :P

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

MikeLines, your opinion rocks
#6 Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

:applause: Woowoo! :whitsle: Bravo!
#7 Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

My experience has shown me that such language is probably not the best way to convince the average human to eat fewer or no animals, especially when you suggest people on a vegan subforum go vegan. I'd say at the very least if you're going to suggest someone go vegan, you could try a crowd who aren't already all vegan. :P

I'm not attempting to convince anyone with this post, I am sharing my opinion. But if anyone wants to copy this and post it anywhere else they are more than welcome to, no need to credit me.

#8 Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have to abuse animal just because I feel superior to them.

Which I do.

The latter.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#9 Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I defiantly do not feel superior to animals simply because I am more intelligent than them. I feel we are on an equal level of value, in fact most animals to more to benefit the earth than any humans do. Someone said (and I can't remember who) that worms are more important than people because they can live without us, but we can't live without them.

☮ ♥ (: Ⓥ
http://empatheticvegan.tumblr.com/
#10 Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Pretty much my thinking. I detest how most people consider themselves superior to other life forms, and think that we have some sort of 'right to life' over other creatures that don't share our exact biological make-up.

amen. we are no better then them.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#11 Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

amen. we are no better then them.

This.

Vegetarian since October 1983
#12 Old 03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Ankle Biter

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I defiantly do not feel superior to animals simply because I am more intelligent than them. I feel we are on an equal level of value, in fact most animals to more to benefit the earth than any humans do. Someone said (and I can't remember who) that worms are more important than people because they can live without us, but we can't live without them.

Yeah, humans love to bring up our supposed superiority to other creatures because of our big fatty brains, but they always conveniently forget about the many many ways other animals are superior to us. Some are much stronger, faster, can see in the dark, fly, memorize landmarks for miles, communicate through pheremones, climb really well, change colour, or do many other nifty things we humans can't. I can do math better than a gorilla but then he could rip my arm off without trying, so who is really the superior one?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Maybe this should go in the "state your unpopular opinions" thread (and if anyone feels this way I'll erase it here and put it there), but here goes:

The notion of "rights" would not exist at all if not for humans. Animals (okay, some of them) do have the capacity to care for others- both their own species and different species (although the latter is a lot less common, I believe). One example: there were two old African Buffalo bulls who had left the herd, as old bulls sometimes do. One was nearly blind. The individual who could still see looked after him, guiding him as they wandered, blocking his way if he was about to walk someplace that might have harmed him.

Animals definitely can show altruism, but I doubt they have the capacity to think abstractly about what is "right" or "wrong" or "ethical". Maybe there are a few exceptions.

Having said that... if humans really are the only species that can think about "ethics", but don't bother applying ethical principles outside their own species, it doesn't count for that much. People HAVE to behave ethically toward other humans or they get punished.

Envy and Werewolf Girl make valid points, too: we don't have to abuse animals, even if you accept that we ARE superior to them. And animals are superior to us in a lot of ways. The things I see cats, rabbits, squirrels, and dogs do...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Very well said, MikeLines. Humans for the most part only look out for their own kind. It's a selfish trait that we have. We rate everything on a scale of importance to us. Humans are #1. Then comes dogs & cats. Then dolphins, bunny rabbits and pandas and penguins. It all goes downhill from there. Cuteness drives our motives.

On to another topic mentioned: species superiority...

We are only superior to other animals in that we have higher cognitive skills. We can think of better ways of protecting ourselves and killing other animals. Animals are quite often superior to us in their natural instincts (dogs & cats are up and at it in a few days; babies are helpless for the first few years). Pit an unarmed animal against an unarmed man (of equal size to make it fair). Usually, the animal will beat the crap out of the man. I know I wouldn't stand a chance against a pit bull or tiger.

Humans are just as savage as other animals. At least a cat is clean enough to cover its poop in a litter box. I have seen houses of people that are not nearly as well kept as a cat's litter box.

Yeah, we have the better brains in some ways. But we pretty much get by on ganging up on animals and pulling together as a team. If it weren't for teamwork, we would not be much more evolved than any other animal. Individually, we are defenseless and vulnerable. Even a tiny bug could kill us. Teamwork is definitely our most valuable asset. And most deadly, too.
#16 Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My belief is that people think they are superior because they have not spent enough time with animals to realise how amazing they are. Or, they wont give them a chance.
#17 Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM

think of all the evil caused by humans. war, poverty, exploitation, slavery, genocide, murder, rape, torture, corruption, i could go on for pages.
think of the evil caused by animals. eating other animals is all i can come up with, and that only applies to predators.
and we are the ones with the sense of right and wrong? really?
our brains may be bigger, but is superiority measured in development? in our grey, concrete cities? the money in our pockets? what animals have achieved is harmony. what we humans have achieved is the destruction of our planet, as we ignore the boundaries between good and evil.
and are we going to change?
those we have caused to live in poverty don't have the option.
theres a tiny percentage of us who want to change and have the means.
and the overwhelming majority simply don't care.
at the risk of sounding cheesy, our planet is sick and bleeding, and its up to us to fix it.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#18 Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancheez View Post

think of all the evil caused by humans. war, poverty, exploitation, slavery, genocide, murder, rape, torture, corruption, i could go on for pages.
think of the evil caused by animals. eating other animals is all i can come up with, and that only applies to predators.
our brains may be bigger, but is superiority measured in development? in our grey, concrete cities? the money in our pockets? what animals have achieved is harmony. what we humans have achieved is the destruction of our planet, as we ignore the boundaries between good and evil.
and are we going to change?
those we have caused to live in poverty don't have the option.
theres a tiny percentage of us who want to change and have the means.
and the overwhelming majority simply don't care.
at the risk of sounding cheesy, our planet is sick and bleeding, and its up to us to fix it.

:applause:

#19 Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancheez View Post

If I can be serious for a minute, dolphins brutalize and gang-rape porpoises.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#20 Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

If I can be serious for a minute, dolphins brutalize and gang-rape porpoises.

That's true, and there are many other instances you can find of animals being downright evil (well, behaving that way anyway, whether animals can ever actually be 'evil' from a human standpoint is the subject of a whole other debate)

I used to believe only humans were capable of causing suffering for pleasure but as nice as that idea is it's not true. Anyone who has ever owned a cat knows how much they enjoy torture.

However, I see that as MORE of a reason to behave ethically ourselves, not less. We shouldn't be basing our behaviour on what other animals do but on common sense.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's true, and there are many other instances you can find of animals being downright evil (well, behaving that way anyway, whether animals can ever actually be 'evil' from a human standpoint is the subject of a whole other debate)

I used to believe only humans were capable of causing suffering for pleasure but as nice as that idea is it's not true. Anyone who has ever owned a cat knows how much they enjoy torture.

However, I see that as MORE of a reason to behave ethically ourselves, not less. We shouldn't be basing our behaviour on what other animals do but on common sense.

Agreed. Anything less is just like the omnis who eat animals because it's "natural." I just have to nitpick when people overlook non-human atrocities.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#22 Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM

O_O seriously?! dolphins know how to rape? i knew my phobia of any body of water deeper than the bath tub was well founded...yeah, i guess animals do bully each other (its 4:15 am my time so my mind is a wee bit hazy, hence not listing that) but my point is that they dont do major scale evil like war. our intelligence is what makes our lives dog eat dog. or maybe its being able to make stuff, cause i know dolphins has smarts, but their general lack of hand makes machine gun manufacturing rather difficult...but the smarter we get as a race, the greedier we get, the greedier we get, the more we exploit (humans, planet and animals), and the more we exploit, the further we fall into disrepair. though i guess the world i see is totally different to the world seen by scum *ahem* people like bankers.
the fact is, when animals bully/rape each other its for fun, but when we do evil, generally speaking its for personal gain, or for our country's gain. for some reason, the fact that there is a reason behind our torture of the earth and its creature makes it a whole lot worse.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#23 Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww, veg*ns are such a smart bunch. You all have brought up good points.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page