DHA and other weird things - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the transition of trying to be more vegan. I have some concerns about DHA sources. I know there's a supplement from Barlean's but it's nearly $40 for 454g. Does anyone know of anything cheaper?

Also, other than b12 and iron (etc), anything else you'd advise for a newly transitioning female vegan?

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

I'm in the transition of trying to be more vegan. I have some concerns about DHA sources. I know there's a supplement from Barlean's but it's nearly $40 for 454g. Does anyone know of anything cheaper?

Also, other than b12 and iron (etc), anything else you'd advise for a newly transitioning female vegan?

Omega 3 Zen is under $30 a bottle. If you take the recommended dose of 1 capsule per day, it will last you about a month. A dollar a day. A cold soda from a machine will cost you $1.25.

Everything that you need to do, to be a healthy vegan can be fit onto one page and used as a checklist
Daily Recommendations For Vegans
#3 Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

What about carnosine, beta-alanine and all those other non-protein amino acids? I know so many failed vegans, I don't want to get sick because of some obscure deficiency. I already know about the stuff you linked - and so did those ex-vegans I know, so I'm wondering if there's something else I should be aware of.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

You can try THIS from Spectrum. It's Vegan.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a bad idea for vegans to occasionally go on bouts of supplementing with flax and other Omega 3 oils. Certain soy and almond milks are fortified with it, for good measure. Jack Norris recommends purchasing a bottle every few months and taking the recommended dose of the supplement till it's out, but he doesn't go so far as to recommend all vegans take it daily all year round. Some vegans report feeling worse when they take it for whatever reason.

Tam! RUGH!
#6 Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

Keep an eye on your Vit D level. It's a very important vitamin. You might need to supplement.

Interestingly, a bunch of my vegan and vegetarian friends got tested recently for Vit D and shockingly, only two of us out of a group of sixteen had a sufficient level. The rest all showed a moderate to severe deficiency with few symptoms. And we live in one of the sunniest places on earth. It goes to show that even if you think you're getting enough from sunlight or food sources (<--- if you're veggie), you could be wrong.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

It's not a bad idea for vegans to occasionally go on bouts of supplementing with flax and other Omega 3 oils. Certain soy and almond milks are fortified with it, for good measure. Jack Norris recommends purchasing a bottle every few months and taking the recommended dose of the supplement till it's out, but he doesn't go so far as to recommend all vegans take it daily all year round. Some vegans report feeling worse when they take it for whatever reason.

I fall into the occasionally faithful Vegan "supplementor" meaning that I get pretty regimented about taking them, but then slack off, taking them rarely or not at all, then I get on a kick again. Overall, I have a really good diet with a lot of variety and I think about what I'm buying and how I'm combining things and preparing them to get the most out of them. I've always felt great as a Vegan and I work out like a maniac 4 or 5 days a week.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 PM

I was at the grocery store not too long ago and I saw some Silk soymilk that said it was fortified with DHA and Omega-3's.
#9 Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Keep an eye on your Vit D level. It's a very important vitamin. You might need to supplement.

Interestingly, a bunch of my vegan and vegetarian friends got tested recently for Vit D and shockingly, only two of us out of a group of sixteen had a sufficient level. The rest all showed a moderate to severe deficiency with few symptoms. And we live in one of the sunniest places on earth. It goes to show that even if you think you're getting enough from sunlight or food sources (<--- if you're veggie), you could be wrong.

Oh, that's a good idea, getting tested - I take a general supplement but it would still be a good idea to see if I need to supplement more.

#10 Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Jack Norris and Ginny Messina caution against the myth that everyone can get sufficient vitamin D from sun alone. Most vegans should err on the side of caution.

Tam! RUGH!
#11 Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM

If you have to take supplements isn't this proof that your diet is inadequate and flawed?

#12 Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole wheat View Post

If you have to take supplements isn't this proof that your diet is inadequate and flawed?

No.
#13 Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

What I do:

Omega 3 - a few walnuts on my oatmeal, ground flax seeds used in baking

Iron - beans

B12 - supplement or fortified soymilk

Vitamin D - sunshine or fortified soymilk

Some other thoughts about what vegans might want to do:

Omega 3 - http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3

Iron - http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iron

B12 - http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Vitamin D - http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones

Quote:

Originally Posted by whole wheat View Post

No. 

List of reasons someone may want/need to take supplements yet have a fantastic diet:

- They have a problem with absorption. Some genetic conditions cause this. Also, previous damage or surgery might cause this. (Sickle Cell, cancer, ulcers, Crohn's disease, gastric bypass, alcoholism, celiac, etc can all cause someone to have troubles with absorption. They can eat a perfect diet but their bodies simply may not absorb the nutrients they need.) 

- They live in a climate/ live a lifestyle where they can't get vitamin D from the sun on a regular basis. (Example, a person with dark skin who lives in the north and doesn't work outdoors is probably not going to get enough vitamin D from the sun.)

- They choose a compassionate diet that's healthy but doesn't consistently supply B12 because of current farming and hygiene standards. (B12 is made by a bacteria in the guts of many animals - including humans - and is often in soil. But since we are not cavemen anymore and we wash our food because now there's a lot of dangerous bacteria in soil, we can't obtain B12 by eating dirt. Don't try it! Also, some have speculated that plants might be able to have B12 absorbed from the soil but that current farming methods have eliminated that possibility. Future science may overcome this.)

#14 Old 10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Whooooooa, this dead post got resurrected.

As an update, it's been about 2 years and 8 months as a vegan (+17 years as a vegetarian) and I'm perfectly healthy. I have amazing energy, I'm rarely sick, I'm involved in a pretty intense strength-based physical activity, and I have no cognitive problems. I take a general multivitamin and eat a lot of nuts, seeds, and beans. I don't specifically supplement DHA or any obscure amino acids.

#15 Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

As an update, it's been about 2 years and 8 months as a vegan (+17 years as a vegetarian) and I'm perfectly healthy. I have amazing energy, I'm rarely sick, I'm involved in a pretty intense strength-based physical activity, and I have no cognitive problems. I take a general multivitamin and eat a lot of nuts, seeds, and beans. I don't specifically supplement DHA or any obscure amino acids.

Hi luxdancer. Amazing how long dead threads keep coming back, I bet you never expected that. My congratulations on your good health and long may it continue. :up:

Leedsveg

#16 Old 10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Hi luxdancer. Amazing how long dead threads keep coming back, I bet you never expected that. My congratulations on your good health and long may it continue. :up:

Leedsveg

Thanks Leeds!

#17 Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Jack Norris and Ginny Messina caution against the myth that everyone can get sufficient vitamin D from sun alone. Most vegans should err on the side of caution.
Actually, regarding vitamin D, my doctor told me she gets everybody tested, omnivores included, and the number of people who have a deficiency is staggering. So vegan or not, check your vitamin D.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#18 Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh boy, hadn't noticed how old this post was...

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#19 Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We've been vegan for about the same length of time (I am assuming you went vegan in February 2011?).   Good to hear that you are still amazingly healthy!

Quote:

I have heard this argument from omnivores in the past.  The irony is that most vitamin and other supplements sold on the market are not vegan or even vegetarian due to all of the inactive ingredients in them such as gelatin and other animal derivatives.  A lot of omnivores take vitamin D because of lack of sunlight at certain times of the year in a northern hemisphere or lifestyle (not getting outside enough) etc.  My omnivore husband has to take B12 due to absorption problems and  a type of anemia he has.  Also, my hemoglobin numbers are far healthier than his are, as are my D levels in the summer without supplementing.

I also consider a diet that requires forcibly impregnating animals, drinking the milk of another species, and breeding and keeping animals for food which requires a lot of land and resources flawed.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#20 Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I'm hoping that you also eventually discovered that those who wrongly state that DHA, carnosine, or carnitine are essential nutrients can almost always be linked to the meat industry or meat-centric diet advocacy.

#21 Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

I'm hoping that you also eventually discovered that those who wrongly state that DHA, carnosine, or carnitine are essential nutrients can almost always be linked to the meat industry or meat-centric diet advocacy.

I never thought that they were essential nutrients, in that they form the backbone of a complete protein, but that they are used by the body and the lack or long-term deficiency might impact my health in some way or may improve my health with increased intake (especially for athletic endeavors). Considering, at the time, I had been lacto-ovo, I was especially concerned with absorption issues that I would otherwise never have considered - there are vegans who have not thrived until they started taking carnitine supplements (derived synthetically), probably due to problems with protein synthesis in their bodies. I was worried I was one of those people, and wanted to make sure there were vegan options out there in case it turned out I had some absorption/synthesis disorders.

Clearly, the moral of this thread is that I was neurotic about nutrition (worrying about unlikely problems).

#22 Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 PM

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v19/n5/full/nm.3145.html

Quote:
Intestinal microbiota metabolism of choline and phosphatidylcholine produces trimethylamine (TMA), which is further metabolized to a proatherogenic species, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO). We demonstrate here that metabolism by intestinal microbiota of dietary l-carnitine, a trimethylamine abundant in red meat, also produces TMAO and accelerates atherosclerosis in mice. Omnivorous human subjects produced more TMAO than did vegans or vegetarians following ingestion of l-carnitine through a microbiota-dependent mechanism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page