VeggieBoards banner

Religous views: Your choices?

Vegans And Religion

5K views 75 replies 45 participants last post by  sequoia 
#1 ·
Talking with friends, the subject of being an atheist came up. Several people mentioned being an atheist, but not wanting to join any groups as they weren't particularly interested in talking about religion.

I said in a matter of fact way, not intending to make a joke, that when I felt lonesome for the company of atheists I just hook up with vegans. Everyone laughed.

So, what are your religious leanings?

#10 ·
Feeling a bit Eat, Pray, Love atm so I chose 'other.'

#18 ·
Atheist. I was forced to go to Catholic school as a kid and after serious doubts had been growing since about 12 years old, when I was 14 I decided to read the whole bible. That did it. I've been an atheist for the 25 years since then. Being that not many people have actually read the whole bible as they just read or know certain "cherry picked" parts, it has been quite interesting when people ask me questions about being an atheist and I talk about things from the bible they are completely unaware of, but yet it's their holy book, not mine.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanocobalamin View Post

I keep meaning to check out that book and movie. I like stories about people going out to find themselves and I like Julia Roberts.
Hmmm, I am not a fan of either of those things, so I wouldn't recommend the movie having watched it... but I am sort of 'finding myself' atm. Trying to be less judgmental about those sorts of things especially because I have always had a thing against both hippies and successful, well-off people turning to Eastern philosophies rather than addressing their negative actions in reality. I suppose I am coming to a spiritual path through activism/veganism/punk rock.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Atheist. I was forced to go to Catholic school as a kid and after serious doubts had been growing since about 12 years old, when I was 14 I decided to read the whole bible. That did it. I've been an atheist for the 25 years since then. Being that not many people have actually read the whole bible as they just read or know certain "cherry picked" parts, it has been quite interesting when people ask me questions about being an atheist and I talk about things from the bible they are completely unaware of, but yet it's their holy book, not mine.
That is similar to what happened to me. Once I opened up the old testament and saw how different it was from the popular notions of Christianity and Judiasm, I started looking for alternatives.

#24 ·
I'm an atheist but that's not my religion because it isn't one. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. I don't think terms like religion or spirituality should necessarily be denied to people under that umbrella. I consider myself religious. I am a Humanist. The world is my church, and my religion is to do good and reduce suffering.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Wow, that sounds very much like me--Catholic school turned me into an Atheist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.