Vegans And Religion - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Religous views: Your choices?
Atheism 37 100.00%
Agnosticism 23 100.00%
Buddhism 7 77.78%
Judaism 2 22.22%
Santana Dharma ( Hiduism ) 1 11.11%
Jainism 0 0%
Christianity 14 100.00%
Islam 0 0%
Other 13 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

I suppose I consider myself an Atheist - I don't believe in a God per say, but I do believe there is life somewhere out there of a higher intelligence. Whether or not they are related to our existence is an unknown.

I think maybe you better consider your views and what you call yourself some more, because atheists are not usually people who believe in mystical, supernatural entities or powers of any kind.

m8itcanw8.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I think maybe you better consider your views and what you call yourself some more, because atheists are not usually people who believe in mystical, supernatural entities or powers of any kind.

Many who identify as atheists are simply those who disagree with the standard judeo-christian god. Many are open to the possibility of some sort of higher intelligence, but believe it is most likely beyond our realm of comprehension.
#63 Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 AM

I am quite sure God exists: I define God as the universe; who doubts that the universe exists?
Why call the universe God? Because it has divine properties - if you are not blind and deaf.

Want to air your views on what God is? The question has been put here:
http://literature-g.yolasite.com : you are invited to participate in that somewhat heated debate.
(Click on Philosophy Etc at the top of the home page)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurthbruins View Post

I am quite sure God exists: I define God as the universe; who doubts that the universe exists?
Why call the universe God? Because it has divine properties - if you are not blind and deaf.

What are those divine properties? How do you define 'divine'?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#65 Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What are those divine properties? How do you define 'divine'?

That. Nobody doubts that our universe is incredible and full of mysteries. That is not a prove, however, that it is God or that it was created by God. How do you define "God"? How do you define "divine"?
#66 Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Atheist with leanings towards Buddhism and Taoism.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#67 Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't believe in god, but if I did, I would despise him/her/it. Anyone who would purposefully create a world filled with such suffering would have to be a billion times worse than Hitler. A real sicko.

Luckily, I am an atheist. Probably about a 6.5 on Dawkin's scale.

I think the fact that the word agnostic exists, helps to perpetuate a misunderstanding or false definition of what the word atheist actually means, which is someone who lacks a belief in god/gods.

If you lack a belief you are an agnostic atheist. If you have faith, you are an agnostic theist. Simply calling yourself agnostic doesn't explain or add anything, where calling yourself a theist or an atheist does.
#68 Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Trying to be less judgmental about those sorts of things especially because I have always had a thing against both hippies and successful, well-off people turning to Eastern philosophies rather than addressing their negative actions in reality. I suppose I am coming to a spiritual path through activism/veganism/punk rock.

same here

I believe that spirituality comes from personal intuition and experience rather than through religious doctrines.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#69 Old 04-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I don't believe in god, but if I did, I would despise him/her/it. Anyone who would purposefully create a world filled with such suffering would have to be a billion times worse than Hitler. A real sicko.

I feel the same way. Sometimes I really want to believe that there's some kind of universal justice in our world. But it doesn't look like it. Too many innocent living creatures suffer for nothing. Eastern philosophies explain it with reincarnation and Karma, but since we definitely do not remember our past lives, than what's the point? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Even if the existance of, say, Christian God was somehow proven, I still don't think I could love such God...
#70 Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by longstocking View Post

Eastern philosophies explain it with reincarnation and Karma

From what I understand that's not exactly true of all Eastern philsophies... I think that there's a lot to the 'Life is suffering' thing in Zen, but also very much in the idea of 'right thought/action.' There's no universal justice, but there are some universal ethics (don't kill), and right action is abiding by them, and preventing them where we can. Right thought is not becoming depressed and entrenched in things we cannot change.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#71 Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM

i believe that there is some form of god or gods, or that kind of thing, but i refuse to worship it. following religion has lead to so much of the bad stuff in the world, i dont want it to cloud my judgement. and there are other reasons, but i dont want to give out the wrong message o.o i hate cult religions though- they completely destroyed my best friends life.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#72 Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm a Spiritual Agnostic and because I made the term up myself don't bicker with me and say I can't be a Spiritual Agnostic.
At Agnostics International website http://agnosticsinternational.net/fo....php?f=33&t=52 there is a poll listing at least 6 types of Agnostics although I don't fit close enough for those definitions so I call myself Spiritual Agnostic because it is such a good description of me.
On the Dawkins Scale 1 to 7 it might have me as a '6' if I ignore some of their wording but that is assuming that the God they are referring to is the Christian God only and no others, but if I'm going to consider the possibility of a God I don't what the number of possibilities limited to just one.
I like much but not all of Pantheism, Buddhism, Taoism, Yoga, Enlightenment, Mindfulness, Monism, Dualism, Pluralism, etc.
#73 Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Atheist. I was forced to go to Catholic school as a kid and after serious doubts had been growing since about 12 years old, when I was 14 I decided to read the whole bible. That did it. I've been an atheist for the 25 years since then. Being that not many people have actually read the whole bible as they just read or know certain "cherry picked" parts, it has been quite interesting when people ask me questions about being an atheist and I talk about things from the bible they are completely unaware of, but yet it's their holy book, not mine.

Don't mean to quote an old post but that is hilarious. I will need to get back to reading my digital Bible copy. Maybe I'll just skip the beginning genealogy part that I keep getting stuck on due to its complete boringness?

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#74 Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM

I am wiccan
#75 Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm an atheist and I consider myself religious.

I am a Secular Humanist...

Terms like "Religion" and "Spirituality" have been hijacked too long by people who cower before superstition and dogma.

Robert G. Ingersoll famously wrote "Humanity is religion. Theology is superstition."

I am anti-theist. Not anti-morality or anti-belief. There are many beautiful things to believe in and aspire towards that require absolutely no belief in a god or the supernatural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_VsdoxtvU

Tam! RUGH!
#76 Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh james xvx View Post

i'm an atheist and i consider myself religious.

I am a secular humanist...

Terms like "religion" and "spirituality" have been hijacked too long by people who cower before superstition and dogma.

Robert g. Ingersoll famously wrote "humanity is religion. Theology is superstition."

i am anti-theist. Not anti-morality or anti-belief. There are many beautiful things to believe in and aspire towards that require absolutely no belief in a god or the supernatural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_vsdoxtvu

yes.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page