Oh to be a girl and vegan! - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

#61 Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

A quick google search turns up links on making your own tampons, and reusable tampons.

Maybe that would work.

I don't have a vagina, so I can't really comment on how they work.

Sounds like a scary idea to me! But I'm sure there's someone out there adventurous enough to try it.

My policy with things like this is to just do what I can. Perfection isn't possible but whenever I discover a product I use is tested on animals and there is a replacement available that I can afford I see no reason not to choose the cruelty free version instead. Thanks to this thread I learned something new and I'll be looking for some Seventh Generation pads or some other equivalent brand (Tampons weird me out )

But in the end the tampons/pads you use aren't that big a deal, I certainly wouldn't say a person isn't vegan because of it. If you can't afford it or don't have them in your area then whatever, just focus on the big picture stuff and do what you can do.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

My policy with things like this is to just do what I can. Perfection isn't possible but whenever I discover a product I use is tested on animals and there is a replacement available that I can afford I see no reason not to choose the cruelty free version instead.

This is pretty much how I feel about the issue as well. Great post in general
#63 Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

A quick google search turns up links on making your own tampons, and reusable tampons.

Maybe that would work.

I don't have a vagina, so I can't really comment on how they work.

It would not work, that's how.
Homemade or reusable tampons are a bad bad bad idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with ElaineV. Major concern for toxic shock, or bacterial or fungal infection with homemade or reusable tampons. Don't even think about trying it. Either use a menstrual cup or reusable pads.
#65 Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugirl400 View Post

So little by little I find myself trying to live a cruelty-free lifestyle. There is one thing I just can't find an adequate replacement for: tampons. I've tried the two alternatives and they kinda suck. I'm not willing to try anything other than tampons such as diva cups or reusable pads. I'm about at my wit's end and ready to throw in the towel and say sorry on this one. Any suggestions? On a side note I've also had little luck in finding any good cruelty-free deodorants and could use some advice in that department as well.

I think that the Seventh Generation ones are pretty good! That's what I use.
#66 Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a question, is it only the tampons that are tested on animals? I always use a pad. Maybe one day I'll need to use a tampon, but that day probably isn't near.

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#67 Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

I have a question, is it only the tampons that are tested on animals? I always use a pad. Maybe one day I'll need to use a tampon, but that day probably isn't near.

I don't know - but I think you'd be best off emailing the company and asking yourself, rather than assume they do or don't and either support something you don't want to, or avoid a product you like mistakenly
#68 Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Most women are out at work; plenty of them in jobs where they can't just go to the toilet when they need to, they have to wait for a break. They NEED something 99% reliable. That (in my personal experience) would not include reusable towels or mooncups.

In my personal experience, menstrual cups are MORE reliable than tampons. I have a super heavy flow, and the cup can last me through a full shift at work with no leaks. When I used tampons, I had to change them 2-3 times a shift and sometimes they'd still leak.

I say don't knock menstrual cups until you've tried them!
Thalassa4 likes this.
#69 Old 03-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Now personally, I have found that the extreme vegans, just like any other extreme group, talk and shout the loudest. They are the ones talking about whether you can have a car, or use any form of wheeled transport because tyres have animal products in. They are the ones discussing the animal products in photograph production. They are the ones talking about whether computers are vegan or not. This is completely different to animal testing, which most people are against once they realise there are alternatives. These are extreme views. These conversations go on online and offline every day. I don't believe they do animals any favours; sure, they may make the people involved feel morally superior, and almost like martyrs, but they don't save animals lives. I keep banging on about that: but that is the crux of my point - how can I make people see that veganism isn't about examining every single object that we come across every day, and discussing how vegan it is. Because the vast majority of people don't want to spend their lives doing that.

I have met quite a few vegans (around 100 people probably) but none of them have been like that. I have seen a few online that seem a little extreme though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

But in the end the tampons/pads you use aren't that big a deal, I certainly wouldn't say a person isn't vegan because of it. If you can't afford it or don't have them in your area then whatever, just focus on the big picture stuff and do what you can do.

I agree! I have a Mooncup but I use tampons sometimes too.
#70 Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

In my personal experience, menstrual cups are MORE reliable than tampons. I have a super heavy flow, and the cup can last me through a full shift at work with no leaks. When I used tampons, I had to change them 2-3 times a shift and sometimes they'd still leak.

I want to try menstrual cups one of these days! Much better for the environment too.
Thalassa4 likes this.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#71 Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 PM

glad to know mitchum is vegan im going to start buying that brand and omg thanks for the luckyvitman link u just saved me so much money. im going to have to buy up on these! thanks!,

kristina

#72 Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

I would never ever ever wear pads. ever. I think they are vile.

I use O.B.

#73 Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Super heavy flow and no leaks? Ok, I am finally going to try these!

#74 Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I <3 the Diva Cup (the main Canadian menstrual cup brand). I'm not too squeamish a person though so handling my own blood is "like, whatever man" to me. It doesn't have the toxic shock syndrome risk of tampons, it's way less damaging on the environment than disposables, and you don't have to launder a big pile of reusables or basically feel like you're wearing a diaper. The mild inconveniences are worth it.

Thalassa4 likes this.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#75 Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently found Puristics tampons at my local grocery store. It's a new company. They make organic and chemical-free stuff. Check them out: http://puristics.com/products_feminine.html

They make skin creams and stuff too and those are all cruelty-free so I am guessing the tampons are too. I sent an email to ask.

Edit to add:
The company got back to me and said "Thank you for your interest in Puristics PureProtection. Our products are not tested on animals."
#76 Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Beginner

I know there are mooncups and other cups like it that are reusable. I can't remember the brand that sells the really eco-friendly ones..but its all the same idea

#77 Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you!

#78 Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I apologize in advance if this sounds harsh. It's not at all personal and I hold no angry feelings towards you or anyone else in similar shoes. I'm just going to call it as I see it. I hope you're not offended by this.

Is it really fair to blame a few "extreme" vegans for your inaction? Why not blame yourself for not finding the moderate vegans earlier? You said the moderates helped you go vegan when you found them, so isn't it possible that the extreme vegans made you aware enough to seek out moderate vegans? Or Isn't it possible that you had a sort of blinder on and simply didn't really "see" the moderate vegans all around you until you started looking? Isn't it possible that the extreme vegans were meremy a convenient excuse for you to use until you were ready to go vegan? Isn't it farmore likely that your transition timeline had more to do with you than with outside influences? Or that if outside influences had a significant effect, isn't it more likely that the stronger forces were the anti-vegans, not the "extreme" vegans?

I'm all for a moderate approach. And i do believe that we're more effective at advocating veganism when we help people take the first step rather than when we expect them to take the last step. But what I cant stand is when people refuse to accept their own complicity in animal exploitation and blame others for it instead. Get real, get honest. It wasn't anyone else's fault that you didn't go vegan sooner. Take responsibility for your actions. Stop blaming others.

Here's the reality about animal advocacy: there are some strategies that are more effective than others, but few to none are counter-productive because in the long run we will win. Animal rights is fair, just, and right. Moreover, they're self-evident. Truth and justice will persevere regardless of any inefficient use advocates' time and resources.

So, we should strive to compel animal advocates to be more effective, but we can't rightly blame them for thngs they haven't done.
#79 Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

I <3 the Diva Cup (the main Canadian menstrual cup brand). I'm not too squeamish a person though so handling my own blood is "like, whatever man" to me. It doesn't have the toxic shock syndrome risk of tampons, it's way less damaging on the environment than disposables, and you don't have to launder a big pile of reusables or basically feel like you're wearing a diaper. The mild inconveniences are worth it.

I was just about to write the same thing --  smitten.gifI <3 my Diva cup!! Whenever I pass the pads/tampons in the store I think "Suckers!". Besides the fact that you can leave it in longer with no leaks, you spend less money! Always a good thing ;) 

Thalassa4 likes this.
#80 Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, had not thought about tampons.

Mooncups are....Not for me. I've never tried them and have absolutely no desire to do so. It's not that I'm ashamed or grossed out by my own body (though, I'm not a pretty sight, it has to be said). It's just not a path I'm willing to walk down just yet. Good on the rest of you for doing it though!

I try to check for Proctor and Gamble and Unilever with all of my cosmetics products. I read someone saying that Proctor and Gamble wouldn't test 'that' product so it might be better? (Or something along those lines) Unfortunately, the big companies who sell to China are required by law to test their cosmetic products on animals. Most other countries have laws AGAINST that kind of thing.

Moxie are supposedly a cruelty free brand of tampons and pads. Unsure if they're vegan. (Sorry if they've already been mentioned)

http://moxie.com.au/

They also come in really cute containers....Which is not the reason why I chose them at all.....Maybe.

I've just sent them a letter asking if they test, so if there's any word, I'll let you know.

Edit- Just got an update. They stated- "No we do not test our products on animals"

Not a very informative response (can't say it is 'enough' for me, so I'll do some more digging) But it's a start and very prompt!

#81 Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Gah!

I never thought about tampons. Doesn't matter now because I pretty much have been pregnant or nursing for the past 4 years, I barely got a period before I was knocked up again. Maybe I will give it some thought after I get my period again after this baby is born and weaned.

There are things out there that I just don't even think about being vegan or not vegan. I bought paint brushes for my kids yesterday, and my husband pointed out that they were animal hair bristle brushes. I just really never thought about paint brushes before. I really just focus on food, clothing, and personal hygiene products. I am trying now with household cleaning products- some are probably not cruelty free, but I do use vinegar/ water to clean most things now.

I feel like a jerk, but sometimes I just would rather not know anymore than I do. I feel very comfortable with my level of vegan-ness for now and don't really want to go any further. I'm sure I will eventually, but Its only been 1 1/2 years, it is a work in progress.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#82 Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Not sure about your tampons issue, I'm still looking for a good replacement myself, but Kiss My Face has and extensive line of vegan friendly products that are inexpensive and effective. They have both roll-on and stick deoderant. Plus, their products are usually available in any well stocked pharmacy. 

#83 Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I was caught by surprise this month, never felt my periods come, I usually have body signs, so I was late to buy a diva cup, but I'll have one for next month. I'm one of those who go through a tampon so fast that they leak. It's tampon + pad for me or bye bye panties. Maybe the cup will be what I was trying to find all those years? something that does't' leak hehe.

Thalassa4 likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#84 Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM

My man just bought a moon cup for me last week. This can be the only time since I started that I can't wait until it comes around again so I can try it.

no whey jose and Thalassa4 like this.
#85 Old 11-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugirl400 View Post
So little by little I find myself trying to live a cruelty-free lifestyle. There is one thing I just can't find an adequate replacement for: tampons. I've tried the two alternatives and they kinda suck. I'm not willing to try anything other than tampons such as diva cups or reusable pads. I'm about at my wit's end and ready to throw in the towel and say sorry on this one. Any suggestions? On a side note I've also had little luck in finding any good cruelty-free deodorants and could use some advice in that department as well.
This is a really old thread, but I just wanted to share that I did an in-depth look at this topic (posted on this forum here). Hope it's helpful!
KatAutumn likes this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

#86 Old 11-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Veggie Recycler

I really don't have anything to say to you if you won't try menstrual cups, as an environmentalist. Enjoy your toxic shock, vaginal dryness, and creation of unsustainable waste....menstrual cups are ridiculously clean and sterile as long as you carry mild soap And aren't too neurotic to stick your fingers in your own vagina. Carry bottled water in a Nalgene bottle for awkward public restroom situations, and use cloth pads for heavy days, which you can throw into the laundry. I really don't care to hear your excuses.
#87 Old 11-07-2015, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Menstrual cups are seriously awesome. They're so clean! When I wore tampons, I had to change them every time I peed because the thought of urine hanging around on a tampon string creeped me out.
#88 Old 11-07-2015, 11:11 PM

This video was recently shared in a menstrual cup group I belong to on FB. It was fantastic, and I appreciate you taking the time to present the facts about tampon production and use. It certainly increases the love I have for my cup
BiteSizeVegan likes this.
#89 Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
I really don't have anything to say to you if you won't try menstrual cups, as an environmentalist. Enjoy your toxic shock, vaginal dryness, and creation of unsustainable waste....menstrual cups are ridiculously clean and sterile as long as you carry mild soap And aren't too neurotic to stick your fingers in your own vagina. Carry bottled water in a Nalgene bottle for awkward public restroom situations, and use cloth pads for heavy days, which you can throw into the laundry. I really don't care to hear your excuses.
Hi Thalassa4,
I am an RN who works OB/GYN, and I am a big fan of the menstrual cups, washable pads, etc, for the patients, and even have samples for them to examine.

Please be aware, though, that these products do not work for every woman. Vaginal anatomy varies greatly, and some cannot be fit by the cups. In addition, those who have borne children, and/or had other trauma in that area such as female circumcision, accident, or childhood sexual abuse often cannot successfully use these products. Some women who have been the victim of rape cannot bear to touch their own genitals. Impoverished and homeless women often find these products impractical, as access to cleaning and storage can be difficult for them; many just use wadded up toilet paper. Some women have limited mobility of the hands, or obesity that prevents insertion.

Please don't judge others from your standpoint of privilege. Promoting use of the diva cup is great, as many women are unaware of the existence of these products. But just be aware that there are people who cannot use them, and don't hurt them more than they are already by shaming or shunning. (Also, "sterile" is an incorrect descriptor, as they are not sterilized by simply washing. They are clean and very safe to use, but not sterile.)

I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I really am glad that you have found a good monthly solution that works for you.
#90 Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatAutumn View Post
This video was recently shared in a menstrual cup group I belong to on FB. It was fantastic, and I appreciate you taking the time to present the facts about tampon production and use. It certainly increases the love I have for my cup
That's so great to hear! I know it was LLOOONG but I really wanted to do proper justice and depth to the topic

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page