I hate my work, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Beginner

So today we went out for a huge office lunch at a local Japanese resturant where they cook the food in front of you.

I had never been there before, but I heard good things and was told they had a vegetarian menu. My co-workers do not like my veganism and have always had something to say on the subject. I just smile and bring in vegan cookies and ignore it. Who honestly care what they think. I have a few friends who understand and embrace it here and that's fine.

Back to the resturant. The man is cooking my veggies and I see him hurl a huge glob of butter on the veggies. Without think I say (probably too loudly)"IS THAT BUTTER??". They were supposed to be told ahead of time that I was vegan.

He apologises and then co workers start rolling their eyes, huffing and whispering. "WOW -- it must be hard getting everything prepared special for you".

Yeah it is. Thanks.

The resturant didn't even care, they made me new veggies and smiled. They then told me they ask when reservations if there are any special requests and vegan is one of them. Ugh. The fact that my co workers act like this, just drives me insane.

Does anyone else deal with this at work?

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2011, 11:09 AM

I actually work in a complete opposite environment. Any time there is a social event, they make sure to order stuff I can eat. I'm sure it helps that I'm not the only veg*n and I have a good relationship with the lady that does most of the food ordering.

We were at a formal event this past weekend, and I ended up going last minute (i.e. too late to request a special meal). Before I even had a chance to ask the waitress if they had anything else, or if they could bring me more veggies, a co-worker asked if they had extra veg*n dishes they could bring me.

I feel you pain, but your comment makes me very happy I work in a very accepting environment!

Good luck with future food events with them!

Vegetarian since 1/4/2010

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
#3 Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

i hate my work too but for totally different reasons. lol
but, wow, that is so not right.
while most of my co-workers are ok with it, i have had one or two that have been total aholes. i had one yell at me once that i was stupid for being vegan.
otherwise it's been ok. they try. usually they fail because they haven't realized chicken and fish don't grow on trees but it's ignorance, not malice.

try not to let it get to you. i know, easier said than done. but why give them the satisfaction? you know you are doing the right thing.

Atame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm sorry you have to deal with that GMC. I don't really socialize at all with people i work with - by choice. if there is an event, they do make preparations for me. I've been here almost 9 years, so they know. I am the only person who is vegan and the only person who doesn't drink. so i'm a big ol' freak.

Slap on some lipstick and you will be fine.
#5 Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Boy View Post

I'm sorry you have to deal with that GMC. I don't really socialize at all with people i work with - by choice. if there is an event, they do make preparations for me. I've been here almost 9 years, so they know. I am the only person who is vegan and the only person who doesn't drink. so i'm a big ol' freak.

what does a vehicle have to do with her problem?

The Big Bad.
#6 Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Beginner

It really is awful at work.

I have stopped talking to most of them. When I first started working it was never an issue...but it's like they need someone to target and now it's me.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#7 Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I am the only person who is vegan and the only person who doesn't drink. so i'm a big ol' freak.

ditto

Atame.
#8 Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have stopped talking to most of them. When I first started working it was never an issue...but it's like they need someone to target and now it's me.

seriously??!! is there someone you can speak with? HR?

Atame.
#9 Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

It's the pit bull mentality. I've been there. I had to get super aggressive and it eventually stopped it. but, i had to threaten to make it stop. worked though.

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

It's the pit bull mentality. I've been there. I had to get super aggressive and it eventually stopped it. but, i had to threaten to make it stop. worked though.

I've never been one to care what people think, but something about the way they've been is rubbing me the wrong way. I just go to the gym at lunch and avoid eating with them...but I hate that I do that. I tell myself it's only because they hate their lives and they have to spread the misery, but that doesn't always work.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#11 Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM

I think you should talk to human resources about what's going on. Your co-workers are creating a hostile work environment. Your diet is none of their business and despite any issue they personally have with veganism, they need to show a base level of respect. I would start by writing down every incidence of harassment so you have a record and you can make a strong case to HR.
#12 Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

I've never been one to care what people think, but something about the way they've been is rubbing me the wrong way. I just go to the gym at lunch and avoid eating with them...but I hate that I do that. I tell myself it's only because they hate their lives and they have to spread the misery, but that doesn't always work.

Yeah, sometimes avoidance just feels very wrong. wrong because you're doing the right thing and feel like you're doing something wrong or weird. I don't know that it's that they hate their lives. Ignorance breeds contempt. People often don't like things outside of their box or comfort zone.

The Big Bad.
#13 Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post

I think you should talk to human resources about what's going on. Your co-workers are creating a hostile work environment. Your diet is none of their business and despite any issue they personally have with veganism, they need to show a base level of respect. I would start by writing down every incidence of harassment so you have a record and you can make a strong case to HR.

I work at a law firm, no HR. These women have been here for 20 + years. I'm not the only one they attack, it's bullying. Adult bullying.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#14 Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM

be careful and document everything, but don't be aggressive. just keep a file and add to it. and keep asking for acceptance, tolerance and love for those who are unable to give it. don't give them any power in your world. you are better than that.

Slap on some lipstick and you will be fine.
#15 Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I remember watching "Trailer Park Boys" and it seemed that Canadians were big meat eaters from that. Perhaps it is the case where you are. I do get some harassment from being vegetarian, I tend to not mention it to not get in arguments with people, but some people seem to pick fights... sigh....
#16 Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

be careful and document everything, but don't be aggressive. just keep a file and add to it. and keep asking for acceptance, tolerance and love for those who are unable to give it. don't give them any power in your world. you are better than that.

^^that

Atame.
#17 Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it also depends on what type of work you're in. You're dealing with 20+ veterans and you're obviously the odd woman out. It will take a long time to gain acceptance.

I mentioned being aggressive cuz i was working in corrections and those people are very close minded and uneducated.

The Big Bad.
#18 Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone.

I think I need to tough it out. I could tell my old man lawyer boss, but I doubt he knows what vegan is.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#19 Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

I work at a restaurant that carries Gardein, so for the most part, my coworkers are cool about my vegetarianism If I had to deal with those comments, you can bet those b*tches would hear snippy comments from me
#20 Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I remember watching "Trailer Park Boys" and it seemed that Canadians were big meat eaters from that. Perhaps it is the case where you are. I do get some harassment from being vegetarian, I tend to not mention it to not get in arguments with people, but some people seem to pick fights... sigh....

Oh, god! Please don't think all Canadians are like the people on Trailer Park Boys!

I work by myself for the most part, so I don't deal with anything like this. My boss is a very conservative, kind-of grumpy guy and he likes to tease me at times, but it's nothing like the OP's worries. It's pretty light-hearted, or at least that's how I choose to take it.

Bullying is unacceptable. You just have to do what makes you most comfortable, I think.
#21 Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Well I dont know... I did like Trailer Park Boys though. But there are some countries that are very into meat eating, perhaps Canada isnt, but South Africa certainly is. I would hate to be a vegetarian and live there. I once went for a job in a South African supermarket, and it was basically this big room of cooked meat.
#22 Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM

My office has a monthly cruelty fest intended to garner comraderie amongst the indentured. Everyone is asked to contribute to the death fund on a quarterly or yearly basis. I don't attend.
#23 Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I work in the medical field where lunch is usually "I'll try to sit down for 10 minutes and eat" I have to eat or I'm very grumpy when hungry. Since I don't work in the same kind of environment I can't really comment too much. I would hate to have a spectacle made out of me which it seems your co-workers, quiet rudely, do. And I'm sorry you have to put up with it. Most at work don't know I'm vegan. I certainly don't look like one. I will tell people "I don't like to be offered food" if someone brings something like cookies in. I offended one woman by saying that. I could tell. Luckily she left. But I'm stressed out enough at work without getting into some "how come you don't blah blah blah" discussion.
#24 Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

deleted

#25 Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I remember watching "Trailer Park Boys" and it seemed that Canadians were big meat eaters from that.

Only if all Americans are as dumb as Homer Simpson

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#26 Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

^ Yeah but it was the type of junk food they were eating, it was all hot dogs and salami sticks.
In my country, the junk food that people buy who dont have a lot of money tends to be stuff like McDonalds, KFC, coke, chips (hot and chips in a bag) And of course, alcohol. . It is very carb-heavy, compared to what the Trailer Park Boys were eating.

I wasnt saying that everyone in Canada lived in a trailer park but I just wondered if perhaps Canadians were big meat eaters (or perhaps it was just Ricky, giving me the wrong idea... )
#27 Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

^ Yeah but it was the type of junk food they were eating, it was all hot dogs and salami sticks.
In my country, the junk food that people buy who dont have a lot of money tends to be stuff like McDonalds, KFC, coke, chips (hot and chips in a bag) And of course, alcohol. . It is very carb-heavy, compared to what the Trailer Park Boys were eating.

I wasnt saying that everyone in Canada lived in a trailer park but I just wondered if perhaps Canadians were big meat eaters (or perhaps it was just Ricky, giving me the wrong idea... )

I think it's about the same as the States really, Canada is a big country. Here in Vancouver we have a big veg*n population but I doubt it's the same in the rest of the province let alone the rest of Canada. TPB takes place on the East coast where they do a lot of fishing but I've never seen it referenced on the show besides Phil Collins having mackerel breath.

Ricky just eats the most white trash food imaginable! I've seen episodes where he made koolaid with water from a hose and drank it out of a sawed off bottle, or ate Wonder bread dipped in bacon grease, or his Jalapeno chips, or 9 cans of ravioli in one sitting. Such a ridiculous show...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#28 Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Beginner

I Love Trailer Park Boys hahaha! I'm from a small town in Ontario and it's scary the comparison (we didn't live in trailer parks, but it's still the same).

I don't think Canadians are more of 'meat eaters' then Americans. Like pp said, Vancouver is all about the veg*ns.

BUT -- what I have noticed is that in Canada there are a lot more local farmers who sell there products. The farmers take pride in the food that they make and you don't see as many factory farms. Also our milk is hormone free as is most of our meat.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#29 Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Noone at work knows that I'm a vegetarian.

Either that or they just don't give a damn.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#30 Old 03-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Work events are usually OK for me, surprisingly. If it's a big catered event, like the annual Christmas dinner, there's always a vegetarian option I can request in advance. Where I have difficulty sometimes is smaller lunch meetings where they just order a tray of sandwiches and don't think to include anything veg*n. In that situation, I just eat lunch on my own after the meeting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page