VeggieBoards banner

Homemade Seitan...mmmmm

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kimberlily1983 
#1 ·
I found a new cookbook and I must say, I love it!! I'm sure its not a new cookbook, but when you venture to a new bookstore, you never know what you'll find! Veganize This.....my new bible. Unfortunately, most af the recipes are very involved.....good thing I love to cook!

It has all sorts of recipes for things I was having a hard time finding at the grocery/health food store (i.e. seitan, mock cheeses, mimicream etc).

My latest addiction is the "beef" seitan I made myself, and used to make "Steak" tacos...I've eaten them every day this week.

#2 ·
I've been ogling that cookbook for a few weeks now! It looks so awesome. I agree, it seems pretty labour intensive, but it has so many recipes for things I've never seen vegan versions of. This is the next one on my list, after Appetite for Reduction.

Let us know if you make anything else amazing out of there!

#3 ·
Pecan pralines.....delicious even though they didn't set properly!! I have a container full of Candied pecans!

#6 ·
I tried making seitan a few months ago, but it didn't really turn out well. I think I know what went wrong, but it's kind of put me off from trying it again. The texture was just... weird. The appearance also: almost veiny (ewww). Had I not had it once before this, I might have thought this is what it's supposed to be like, and I would've thought I didn't like it. I had it at an Asian place in Saskatchewan last year, though, and it was awesome.
Will try again sometime.

Veganize This sounds like a good cookbook for me to try out sometime. My copy of The Vegetarian Slow Cooker (all recipes have vegan options) is really starting to look worse for wear, and I'm getting lots of use out of my new(ish) copy of Vegan Comfort Food. Mmmm, vegan fettucine alfredo.

#8 ·
I used 1 c. Gluten flour, 1 c vegetarian beef broth and 1tbsp reduced coconut milk (boil coconut milk then mix in 1tbsp of corn starch that has been mixed with 1 tbsp cold water. Boil until reduced by 1/3). Make flat patties or whatever shape u want. Then I cooked the seitan in a veg*n beef broth and a bunch of mushrooms for an hour stirring occasionally. Reserve cooking liquid to marinate sriram before cooking. I even froze some in the broth for use at a later date.

Obviously this is for "beef" seitan... Great for
Frying up for fajitas or stir fry's!! Recipe courtesy of "veganize this"

#11 ·
Thanks, Vegan Heart Mom. There isn't one near me, but I've been meaning to check out the health food store, that's probably my best bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.