Vegan diets becoming more popular, more mainstream - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Washington Post

Quote:
-- You've come a long way, vegan.
Once mocked as a fringe diet for sandal-wearing health food store workers, veganism is moving from marginal to mainstream in the United States.
The vegan "Skinny *****" diet books are best-sellers, vegan staples like tempeh and tofu can be purchased at just about any supermarket, and some chain restaurants eagerly promote their plant-only menu items. Today's vegans are urban hipsters, suburban moms, college students, even professional athletes.
"It's definitely more diverse. It's not what you would picture 20 years ago, which is kind of hippie, crunchy," said Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of vegan cookbooks like the new "Appetite for Reduction." She says it's easier being a vegan now because there is more local produce available and more interesting ways of cooking.

This isn't a horrible article. Not horribly good either IMO.

What the author of this piece has failed to realize is that veganism is continuing to grow and will continue to grow even faster not because it's a fad or the latest diet but because it represents living more completely by the values most civilized people grew up with. People don't go on the South Beach Diet to spare sentient beings from suffering, for instance.

Still, a positive puff piece about how veganism is growing, despite the naysayers even among the vegan community who seem to think a majority vegan population is as likely as the second coming of Raptor Jesus. I say it's less than 100 years away.

Tam! RUGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Everytime animal welfare groups try and push for more humanity for animals, whether harsher laws for abusers, or better conditions, the puppy mills, dairy farmers, pet shops, hunters and the like scream THE VEGANS WANT TO RULE THE WORLD!
I'm almost afraid this article will only give more reason to arm themselves against the mighty vegan army!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Everytime animal welfare groups try and push for more humanity for animals, whether harsher laws for abusers, or better conditions, the puppy mills, dairy farmers, pet shops, hunters and the like scream THE VEGANS WANT TO RULE THE WORLD!
I'm almost afraid this article will only give more reason to arm themselves against the mighty vegan army!

If we allow fear to rule our perspective of the future, the enemies of compassion have already won. This is applicable not only to animal rights but any humanitarian struggle. Harriet Tubman isn't considered a great woman because she was afraid of confrontation. I say let the bigots open their stupid mouths and show how small they are. That only speeds along the inevitable vegan world.

Tam! RUGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM

It's not a bad article.
#5 Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

I remember when I turned vegan a couple of decades ago I was constantly having to explain what the term 'vegan' meant to pretty much everyone. That has slowly tapered off as the word became part of the vocabulary and more and more people became aware of what it meant. Now its seems everyone has an idea of what the word means which is great news. Awareness is the first step.

I recall having to go to bizarre healthfood stores and digging through exotic food markets for interesting vegan foods. Then one day I saw tofu in a mainstream supermarket, then veggie hot dogs, then soy milk. I remember excitedly telling my vegan friends that I saw Tofu Pups in a Safeway and they wouldn't believe me

Progress is slow yes but it's progress and that's great news.
#6 Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I remember when I turned vegan a couple of decades ago

I know that some people think it's stupid to congratulate people on how long they've been vegan, since veganism should be the basic thing to do and not some special accomplishment, but nevertheless I wanna say:

congrats mate

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I know that some people think it's stupid to congratulate people on how long they've been vegan, since veganism should be the basic thing to do and not some special accomplishment, but nevertheless I wanna say:

congrats mate

Cheers! A few years ago I met a Dutch lady on a vegan newsgroup who had been vegan for more than 50 years so I have some catching up to do
#8 Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I remember when I turned vegan a couple of decades ago I was constantly having to explain what the term 'vegan' meant to pretty much everyone. That has slowly tapered off as the word became part of the vocabulary and more and more people became aware of what it meant. Now its seems everyone has an idea of what the word means which is great news. Awareness is the first step.
I recall having to go to bizarre healthfood stores and digging through exotic food markets for interesting vegan foods. Then one day I saw tofu in a mainstream supermarket, then veggie hot dogs, then soy milk.

An online vegan guy I "know" said the same to me.
#9 Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Veganism is essentially hard-core vegetarianism.

How eloquent, Washington Post.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#10 Old 01-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I would even be pleased if the world got to the point where, by the time I have kids and they are old enough to go to school, they are likely to not be the only vegans in the school. Not to be a naysayer but to me it seems very unlikely to happen, mind you when I was growing up as a vegetarian and first started school 18 years ago, I was the only veggie in the school and the veggie option at the canteen was usually fish :/ but then 5 years ago I went on a trip with some people from school and 5 out of 16 were vegetarian/ pescetarian so clearly vegetarianism has come a long way over my lifetime and there's no reason that veganism can't do the same.
#11 Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Whoops, I double posted this. Guess the story was picked up by FOX news too.
#12 Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Slow and steady growth is the best way to go. If it were a fad, it would be explosive and burn itself out. But veganism just keeps seeing rising numbers
#13 Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetti View Post

Slow and steady growth is the best way to go. If it were a fad, it would be explosive and burn itself out. But veganism just keeps seeing rising numbers

Exactly! I don't know why people tell me it's a "phase" or a "fad", because I'm usually the only vegan those people know.

And I thought the exact same thing today while shopping! So many more big supermarkets are putting in whole sections devoted to small-name organic, vegetarian, and vegan things! The Acme and Shop n' Bag around the corner from us just got in 3 more kinds of soy/almond milk EACH! And the Acme has a whole "health" food section, WITH A SEPARATE FREEZER with a huuuuuge variety of vegan and vegetarian stuff, from Rice Dream to Amy's breakfast burritos. It's AWESOME. I just bought newly-stocked Amy's Daiya Mac & Cheeze from that same store!! I couldn't find it anywhere. So excited to try it tonight. :'D

Veganism is definitely more popular and recognized now than even a year ago. Vegetarianism is even more public. And it's not just a fad diet, which is fantastic. It gives me hope for the world.
#14 Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I didn't like that fad comment. I guess for some it is. And yes, if vegan products sell, stores will carry them. And most main stream shopping markets are finding that if they carry these items, people will buy them. That alone is sending a message I think.

I only scanned the article. Not the worst thing I've read (or scanned) out there on the subject.
#15 Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm also excited! I love that even ALDI now has vegetarian options, including soy schnitzels and nuggets that are vegan. Now I'm just waiting for them to make their wieners and bratwurst vegan too.

Oh, and I've discovered two brands (that's five kinds) of vegan ice cream in another supermarket. I'm feeling very encouraged

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#16 Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

I'm also excited! I love that even ALDI now has vegetarian options, including soy schnitzels and nuggets that are vegan. Now I'm just waiting for them to make their wieners and bratwurst vegan too.

Oh, and I've discovered two brands (that's five kinds) of vegan ice cream in another supermarket. I'm feeling very encouraged

Aldi has soy schnitzels?? Wow!
Hmmm....this means my next visit to Deutschland won't be as miserable as I thought it would be
#17 Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

Aldi has soy schnitzels?? Wow!
Hmmm....this means my next visit to Deutschland won't be as miserable as I thought it would be

So far I've seen soy schnitzels, nuggets, bratwurst, wieners and tofu Only the tofu, nuggets and schnitzels are vegan, though. Rossmann and DM (two drug stores) have a lot of vegan spreads (dark chocolate, yummmm) and such as well.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page