Right of center (conservative, etc) 26 15.38%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

#121 Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegancheez View Post

but if talking about anarcho communism on a bigger scale, it would basically have to be worldwide, or become just another cause of misery in the world well...it would be epic for everyone in the country itself, but other countries would lose trade and aid money and stuff. but i guess it would cut back on war...my brain is going in circles, im just gonna post this now~

I would argue that the removal of hegemonic power in the West would lead to a worldwide revolution. It is the dominance of the West in business and international banking that leads to the reliance on our aid money - were that removed, third world debt would essentially be reduced to functionally nothing. The main obstacle to everything, though, would be international corporations rather than countries.
Thalassa4 likes this.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I was surprised that so many women in my Ethics class seemed to be leaning towards pro-life, whereas the men seemed a bit split.

As for the statement (Kappa's?) that anarchism can't be consistent with forbidding abortions, I'm not entirely sure I agree (and I say this as someone who's staunchly pro-choice with anarchist leanings). Some would make the argument that veganarchism is something that involves contradictory components: that the insistence on veganism denies bodily autonomy, the right for people to choose what kind of diet they want. If anarchism is consistent with animal rights, can't it be consistent with fetal rights?

Again, I'm not advocating such a theory myself. Women aren't free if we don't have control of our own bodies.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#123 Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

I was surprised that so many women in my Ethics class seemed to be leaning towards pro-life, whereas the men seemed a bit split.

As for the statement (Kappa's?) that anarchism can't be consistent with forbidding abortions, I'm not entirely sure I agree (and I say this as someone who's staunchly pro-choice with anarchist leanings). Some would make the argument that veganarchism is something that involves contradictory components: that the insistence on veganism denies bodily autonomy, the right for people to choose what kind of diet they want. If anarchism is consistent with animal rights, can't it be consistent with fetal rights?

Again, I'm not advocating such a theory myself. Women aren't free if we don't have control of our own bodies.

Anarchism can be consistent with pro life ideas... on an individual level. It just can't be prescriptive, because in anarchism, no-one has any right to impinge on another's body sovereignty. Personally I don't extend veganism to fetal matters, because I think it only serves to reinforce masculinist hegemonies.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

So in the ideal anarchist "state", what happens if some of the people don't want to be vegan?

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
#125 Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So in the ideal anarchist "state", what happens if some of the people don't want to be vegan?

Arguably for a system of total anarchy to be in effect the speciesism, sexism and other hegemonies that exist nowadays will have melted away. The best way to deal with that, though, is social disassociation. If someone kills an animal, not allowing them to be a part of your social group until they commit to changing works. With the mechanisms of industrial society removed, though, and a community effort to retain food sources, etc, I think that the old adage about slaughterhouses having glass walls might be literalised and that might not be a problem.

If other people then wanted to have a community where pro life ideas were upheld and anyone that had an abortion was excluded, of course they'd be welcome to, but I think that that sort of thing is best retained as a totally individual thing. But again, in a perfect world where existing power structures have been discredited, the pro life/choice thing would be less important, since it would hold no political sway, etc.

#126 Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Left, I guess. The party I vote for in Canada, is far left, so, yeah.

theapplerunner.com
#127 Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

I would argue that the removal of hegemonic power in the West would lead to a worldwide revolution. It is the dominance of the West in business and international banking that leads to the reliance on our aid money - were that removed, third world debt would essentially be reduced to functionally nothing. The main obstacle to everything, though, would be international corporations rather than countries.

epic point! i never think of these things! my pro anarcho-communism argument has been strengthened! now all i need is to come up with a plan for converting the worlds governments :/

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#128 Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

but at what point does freedom justify murder? theres true freedom, and then theres what we have been led to believe is freedom by the government and the media. id say abortion is the latter.
im at an all girls school, and every single person in the class (of 27) is pro choice apart from me and a catholic. o.o its like, the opposite of what you found...

none of us can ever have full control of our own bodies. we can't control when we're born, when we die, how fast we can run, how many injuries we sustain. control of body isnt to do with freedom. a person paralyzed from the waist down is still as free as you or me.
abortion is inconsistent with both vegetarianism and veganism. a foetus is a life without a voice, same as animals. equality does not stem from murder of animals, so why the unborn?

Blind and unaware~
#129 Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

but at what point does freedom justify murder? theres true freedom, and then theres what we have been led to believe is freedom by the government and the media. id say abortion is the latter.

Well, veganism is generally defined as the exclusion of all *non-human* animal products, and while eradicating Speciesist barriers is important, I think that in the case of abortion it should inherently be limited to the individual, who should not be judged. Thousands of women die every year in areas where patriarchal governments have suppressed abortion, forced to turn to back street doctors, hack 'n' slash home methods, and horrifyingly in recent years, internet-ordered abortifacients. So, pragmatically speaking, it should be the right of the individual to choose what to do if they are pregnant against their will (keeping in mind that in areas where abortion is limited, sexual violence is high.) Women in horrible situations will turn to abortion whether or not they are culturally permitted to, and that option should be there for them, because otherwise it's putting the woman's life in danger as well.
I would love to see a world where abortion wasn't needed, but it's unlikely to exist anytime soon, and telling people that they can't do it isn't going to help anything. Striking the root of the problem with education, women's action groups and challenging of sexual and domestic violence goes a long way to fixing it. Calling the act itself traumatic and shaming those involved? It only polarises the debate when it is unneeded, we're all adults and need to realise that realistically speaking, abortion is an important option for many people, and will continue to be so until women are equal.

I tried to avoid discussing what is and isn't like above not out of lack of arguments, but rather because I'm addressing why it's important as a pragmatic choice in these times and cultures we have now.

#130 Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Well, veganism is generally defined as the exclusion of all *non-human* animal products, and while eradicating Speciesist barriers is important, I think that in the case of abortion it should inherently be limited to the individual, who should not be judged. Thousands of women die every year in areas where patriarchal governments have suppressed abortion, forced to turn to back street doctors, hack 'n' slash home methods, and horrifyingly in recent years, internet-ordered abortifacients. So, pragmatically speaking, it should be the right of the individual to choose what to do if they are pregnant against their will (keeping in mind that in areas where abortion is limited, sexual violence is high.) Women in horrible situations will turn to abortion whether or not they are culturally permitted to, and that option should be there for them, because otherwise it's putting the woman's life in danger as well.
I would love to see a world where abortion wasn't needed, but it's unlikely to exist anytime soon, and telling people that they can't do it isn't going to help anything. Striking the root of the problem with education, women's action groups and challenging of sexual and domestic violence goes a long way to fixing it. Calling the act itself traumatic and shaming those involved? It only polarises the debate when it is unneeded, we're all adults and need to realise that realistically speaking, abortion is an important option for many people, and will continue to be so until women are equal.

I tried to avoid discussing what is and isn't like above not out of lack of arguments, but rather because I'm addressing why it's important as a pragmatic choice in these times and cultures we have now.

i understand all that. i just get upset by the idea of abortion, but at the end of the day, if i hear somebody wants/is having an abortion, i dont judge. i dont even think it should be banned, i mean, im strongly against it but banning it just makes it less safe, its still gonna happen. if i were to ever get pregnant i would slap myself if i even thought about abortion, but i dont apply my opinion on things as confusing as abortion to anyone but myself...if i ruled the world, nobody would have any idea of what was going on e.e

Blind and unaware~
#131 Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

To me, anarchism is a lot about personal choices. I wouldn't care if some people eat meat.

By personal choices I mean quit telling me how to live my life.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#132 Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i understand all that. i just get upset by the idea of abortion, but at the end of the day, if i hear somebody wants/is having an abortion, i dont judge. i dont even think it should be banned, i mean, im strongly against it but banning it just makes it less safe, its still gonna happen. if i were to ever get pregnant i would slap myself if i even thought about abortion, but i dont apply my opinion on things as confusing as abortion to anyone but myself...if i ruled the world, nobody would have any idea of what was going on e.e

Yea, sorry if that came on too preachy. I just liked the chance to introduce the idea without it exploding into a huge debate full of emotion. I completely understand your stance as well.

@DoktorMartini: Hmmm, that's a sort of individualist stance that I can't quite get behind. There's too much aspect of community in anarchism, and although I would never tell someone what to do or not, I think that sometimes people do things that I wouldn't want included in my community.

#133 Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Arguably for a system of total anarchy to be in effect the speciesism, sexism and other hegemonies that exist nowadays will have melted away. The best way to deal with that, though, is social disassociation. If someone kills an animal, not allowing them to be a part of your social group until they commit to changing works.

That makes sense.

Quote:

With the mechanisms of industrial society removed, though, and a community effort to retain food sources, etc, I think that the old adage about slaughterhouses having glass walls might be literalised and that might not be a problem.

I'm not entirely sure about this, though. I live in the country, and I've encountered lots of people who have absolutely no problem raising and killing animals. The struggling, the blood and guts... doesn't phase them. There'd be nothing stopping these people from setting up their own anarchist communities / "states" and doing this for themselves.

Quote:

I don't think I have time to fully explore my views on this matter right now, as my own position on abortion is kind of complicated. I will say that I don't consider all death to be murder (an exception, for example, would be euthanasia, or killing in a just war), and I don't personally consider ending the life of a few cells with no consciousness to be murder. This is why I'd favor speeding up and improving our health care systems to allow girls and women to have abortions as early as possible if they're going to have them.

Quote:

abortion is inconsistent with both vegetarianism and veganism. a foetus is a life without a voice, same as animals. equality does not stem from murder of animals, so why the unborn?

I'm an anti-natalist. I think beings are better off not being born. So, I think abortion of life at the stage of cluster of cells is actually a good thing for the being that is aborted. He or she is spared life in this world, a life of being vulnerable to suffering, to death.

It's different when beings are autonomous, when they can choose to stay in the world. A cluster of cells that will become a person has no such choice: they are thrust into the world. I think an early abortion, to spare this person from the vulnerable condition that is life, can be seen as a compassionate act.

I know this will strike people as an odd and twisted view. Perhaps I'll start an anti-natalist thread here, too, (as I've done elsewhere) so we can explore that, too.

I'll also add here that while this is my philosophical view, my own personal, emotional view of it contrasts to it completely. I don't think I could ever have an abortion myself, even though I think early abortion is the right choice to make. In the same way I think killing a desperately sick animal with no chance of survival might be the right thing to do, to spare it another hour of suffering say, I'm not sure I could do it. I don't know if I have what it takes to kill, even if it's the right thing to do.

#134 Old 10-21-2015, 05:30 PM

I am not sure about this, for I don't know whether Marx sympathized with the vegan movement and since I am 16 I cannot convert the house of my residence into a place powered in an eco-friendly way (otherwise I would convert it as such), but I feel that I am either Marxist or closest to being Marxist. If I only feel close to Marxism, that may be because I think that people who torture animals without remorse should receive the electric chair.
#135 Old 10-21-2015, 07:32 PM

Anarchist
#136 Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM

In most political quizzes when using both left/right and authoritarian/libertarian axes, I end up in the libertarian-left quadrant. I would say I am a progressive.
#137 Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I don't know whether Marx sympathized with the vegan movement
AFAIK he was actively hostile to vegetarianism. A snippet from this page that speaks to this:
Quote:
Dr. Steve Best points out, Karl Marx and Frederick Engels “lumped animal welfarists, vegetarians, and anti-vivisectionists into the same petite-bourgeoisie category comprised of charity organizers, temperance fanatics, and naive reformists.” Leon Trotsky railed against those opposed to revolutionary violence, scornfully describing their ideology as “vegetarian-Quaker prattle.”
Socialism and organized vegetarianism were both players in the universe of 19th century reform and radicalism. The interactions between the various movements really defy simple explanations. Many vegetarians were socialists despite Marx and Engles' low opinion of vegetarianism. The humane movement of the time was often frustratingly classist, yet working class people played a huge role in the anti-vivisection Brown Dog Riots. Vegetarianism even made inroads with the working class thanks largely to the writings of Percy Shelley. One thing that often trips up modern folks looking at this history is a failure to realize/acknowledge that animal protection, antivivisectionism, and vegetarianism were SEPERATE movements with complex relationships. To an extent they still are, no matter how much we wish otherwise.
River and Beautiful Joe like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#138 Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
No flesh since 99'

I hate how you are expected to be either one or the other. I have very liberal views on a lot of things, but am pretty conservative on others. I know everyone is to an extent, but I'm pretty evenly split down the board.
#139 Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Beginner

i take from both sides. I'm a gun toting, federal gov't fearing, liberal who's become way more moderate as i've gotten older. I was very leftist when i was young and have adopted more conservative views on some issues.

i probably fall into a libertarian leaning more than most others at this point.

Dog, guts and guns..
#140 Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

For me saying left or right is so....black and white. I suppose I am left, but I am so much more than that.

What I am for is equal opportunity for everyone regardless of background(I want government healthcare and education)

I want us to take care of the unfortunate to give them a chance at life instead of leaving them on the streets.

I want mandatory enforcement of using only recyclable packaging(seriously how have we not done this already?) and to move towards clean energy.

And I want a mean old mother to host political debates. The second you start bashing the other parties you get your mouth washed out with soap on national TV. Currently watching political debates in canada is the same as going to a playground and watching children call eachother names. It's pathetic.

For me, the green party in canada most aligns with what I want, but I certainly don't agree with everything they want.
#141 Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Impeach the gangster

A friend of mine posted this on facebook. You can take the test here.

Here's how I scored on the 4-quad graph. I'm more liberal than either Obama or Bill Clinton, and about equal with Clinton on a "right/left" scale, which does not mean I necessarily support Hillary. I like Bernie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.php.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	12401  
Naturebound likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 10-27-2015 at 10:37 PM.
#142 Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Hey Capstan, do you have a link for the quiz that generated that graph?

I always end up in that quadrant, just further to the left on the X axis, but my position on the Y axis varies from quiz to quiz.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#143 Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Impeach the gangster

Dave, click the words, "take the test here," in my above post.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#144 Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 PM

Progressive liberal over here. I always find it odd when a vegan/vegetarian/educated individual period identifies with the conservative right (which is neither, in my opinion).
#145 Old 10-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

I'm smack in the middle of the blue
I'm feeling the Bern!
KatAutumn and Thalassa4 like this.
#146 Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 PM

Progressive, left-leaning Socialist. With that said, I feel that a lot of times in vegan circles it's expected that one will be a liberal, so I can see where this would be very isolating for more conservative people, politically speaking, who also happen to embrace animal activism. I find this happens a lot in atheist groups as well. While American atheists do seem to trend on the liberal side of the political spectrum, there are conservative atheists who express frustration over how their unique voices and experiences tend to be droned out by the assumption that everyone in this group or that group follows a prescribed political ideology.
#147 Old 11-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Long_Legs View Post
Progressive liberal over here. I always find it odd when a vegan/vegetarian/educated individual period identifies with the conservative right (which is neither, in my opinion).
I hope everyone goes vegan, "even" conservatives and libertarians.

I (vegan 11 plus years) just took the quiz and got:

"Right-liberalism (Libertarianism): Individuals in this quadrant seek to uphold liberty as the primary political good in all respects. They tend to see themselves as staunch supporters of both personal and economic freedom and are deeply skeptical of collective plans and goals, stressing instead the principle of voluntary association and the individual’s capacity to make his own judgments. They typically see less of a role for the state than individuals in the other three quadrants, believing instead in the spontaneous social order of the market."

Last edited by LedBoots; 11-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.
#148 Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I hope everyone goes vegan, "even" conservatives and libertarians.
Same here. I would hope feeling as if there isn't a place within the vegan community for someone politically conservative wouldn't discourage someone from taking the leap.
LedBoots likes this.
#149 Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatAutumn View Post
Same here. I would hope feeling as if there isn't a place within the vegan community for someone politically conservative wouldn't discourage someone from taking the leap.
You should see the pile-ons here when anyone expresses a conservative view.
#150 Old 11-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I backread the thread. So sad to see Doktormartini posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page