Why aren't there more vegan chefs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 PM

I know that there are a few vegan chefs out there, but I've been curious as to why there aren't more. Considering that chefs and cooks spend a considerable more amount of time thinking about and pondering food than the general population, one would think that, of all people, they would run into ethical issues about where the food is coming from, how it's being treated, or whether it's right to kill a sentient being for pleasure. Is it that, aside from their profession, they aren't much different from most people (like doctors that smoke)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm amazed there are as many as there are, considering vegans currently account for between half a percent and 2 percent of the human population depending on how the question is asked. I think as the overall vegan population continues to grow, you'll see more vegan chefs out there. And there's every indication that the vegan population is growing rapidly. In fact recent college polls suggest there are twice as many vegan college students as there were in 2006.

Tam! RUGH!
#3 Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've held 211 of them captive, I'm training them to create a nice diversity of vegan cheese sauces. When the training phase is complete, I'll release them to the world for all your enjoyment.

As a note of warning though: they are quite hairy after being captive so long, and may require some adjustment period before learning how to cut their hair or utilize the hair-cutting services that civilization offers. In the meantime, I'll ensure they will start making vegan food immediately. So if you visit a vegan restaurant and see a really long beard creeping under the kitchen door, don't be alarmed.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 PM

well.....stop it.
#5 Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd be willing to bet there's more than "a few," just because you haven't heard of someone doesn't make them insignificant or nonexistent. Don't worry, there's lots of vegan chefs!
#6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Veg*ns are looked down upon in the culinary world (vegans especially).

There are many vegan chefs just not many famous ones.

< is a vegan chef

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i wish there were more vegan culinary schools which would produce more vegan chefs. But as JJ pointed out, since the percentage of vegan population is so low, the demand just isn't there.
Though I have to say i am loving the new outburst of vegan cookbooks.
#8 Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

I know that there are a few vegan chefs out there, but I've been curious as to why there aren't more.

Do you mean as restauranteurs or the celebrity "chefs" on the food network and similar?
#9 Old 12-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

Do you mean as restauranteurs or the celebrity "chefs" on the food network and similar?

Both, I suppose. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with what makes sense economically, but a person would think that the people that spend the most amount of time with food would have the most ethical issues with the means by which the food was produced. I know a fair amount of non-celebrity chefs and cooks. They don't know hardly any vegetarian much less vegan chefs. Then again, I reside in the sorry area of the country that is comprised of Nebraska and Iowa....
#10 Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

a person would think that the people that spend the most amount of time with food would have the most ethical issues with the means by which the food was produced.

Chefs won't compromise ethics for flavour.
#11 Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd say it's more fuelled by profit rather than flavour. I am not questioning the flavour benefit of animal products. However, I'd have to say I've become a much better cook and much more creative since I've gone vegan.
#12 Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

There was Chef Chloe Coscarelli that one Cup Cake Wars on the food channel with he amazing vegan cupcakes. All the other contenstants were rolling their eyes at her, but the judges eyes were rolling back in their heads when they tasted her creations. It was a great episode!

Attachment 14089
LL
#13 Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think you got that reversed. It's vegans who won't compromise their ethics for their tastebuds. I've no doubt celebrity "chefs" like Gordon Ramsay would make sweetmeats out of their own grandmother's pancreas if they thought it would make them famous.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Considering that vegans make up only a small percentage of the population, I don't think you have to be a genius to work out why there aren't that many vegan chefs.
#15 Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Veg*ns are looked down upon in the culinary world (vegans especially).

There are many vegan chefs just not many famous ones.

< is a vegan chef

There are also some people like Matthew Kenney who used to be a traditional chef and became a raw vegan chef.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#16 Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Beanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I've held 211 of them captive, I'm training them to create a nice diversity of vegan cheese sauces. When the training phase is complete, I'll release them to the world for all your enjoyment.

ROFL!

Unfortunately 211 is not enough. You have certainly anticipated this by teaching them how to brainwash and recruit steak house chefs after their release, I assume?

Beanitarian.
#17 Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

On another note i was watching cupcake wars and they had a vegan gluten free chef on as well (she didn't win sadly) but it would seem like they have had 2 now on that show, maybe even more!

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#18 Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Does it count if I pretend to have my own Food Network show and talk to imaginary cameras while I make tofu scramble?
#19 Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Does it count if I pretend to have my own Food Network show and talk to imaginary cameras while I make tofu scramble?

Um...I have started a cooking show....but i've only got one episode, and i'm afraid of posting it here.
#20 Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

Um...I have started a cooking show....but i've only got one episode, and i'm afraid of posting it here.

Please post it here. some of us are in serious need.. very serious need.

Ive gone vegie, my 15 year old daughter has gone vegie, my wife has not, she keeps looking at me,, not in a good way, I need things that taste good enough for her to stop sneaking chicken from the fast food places, and going to her parents house alone to eat meat..

your skilz could be what saves me from a blowtorch burn and a bite.
#21 Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Please post it here. some of us are in serious need.. very serious need.

Ive gone vegie, my 15 year old daughter has gone vegie, my wife has not, she keeps looking at me,, not in a good way, I need things that taste good enough for her to stop sneaking chicken from the fast food places, and going to her parents house alone to eat meat..

your skilz could be what saves me from a blowtorch burn and a bite.

LOL! um, maybe once I have done a few shows I will.

But in the meanwhile, I would highly recommend some veg*n cookbooks. My favourites are by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Vegan with a vengence, veganomicon, and Vegan cupcakes take over the world - are my to go books). Now, since it'll be a while before your books get to you....here is my to go website: vegweb.com

Seriously, my cooking has gotten a lot better since going vegan....Let your creativity flourish!!
#22 Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 AM

I love to cook and have considered going to culinary school. The only thing is there are very few vegetarian ones and I haven't even heard of a vegan one. I really don't want to compromise my beliefs for a degree. This is actually probably why there are few vegan chefs.
#23 Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieVcorrell View Post

I love to cook and have considered going to culinary school. The only thing is there are very few vegetarian ones and I haven't even heard of a vegan one. I really don't want to compromise my beliefs for a degree. This is actually probably why there are few vegan chefs.

You don't necessarily have to go to culinary school to become a chef, although it helps. Many chefs in great restaurants are self taught. Also look at people like Rachel Ray (regardless of your opinion about her) she's had no formal culinary training and look where she's at.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#24 Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieVcorrell View Post

There are a few programs for vegan chefs or programs that will adapt for vegans. That said, many veg*n chefs are formally trained before they become vegan or vegetarian and use the skills and the experience they have pre-veg*n to adapt towards vegan cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

You don't necessarily have to go to culinary school to become a chef, although it helps. Many chefs in great restaurants are self taught. Also look at people like Rachel Ray (regardless of your opinion about her) she's had no formal culinary training and look where she's at.

Rachael Ray is *not* a chef and she says so herself, correctly making the distinction that she is a *cook*. Chefs are formally trained, and cooks are not.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#25 Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Rachael Ray is *not* a chef and she says so herself, correctly making the distinction that she is a *cook*. Chefs are formally trained, and cooks are not.

I guess you are right. My point was you don't need formal training to get a good job at a restaurant.

#26 Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

You are right! People can often get jobs without formal training, but it's so competitive even amongst the most well-trained chefs. I think 9as in all things) training is a good thing, but certification doesn't instantly = talented or good just as the opposite is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page