Buying gift card to a non-vegan resturaunt unethical? Got any other gift ideas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Beginner

I don't really know what to get my parents for Christmas.

The only thing I can think of is buying them a giftcard to a nice restaurant, but I know my meat-loving dad would NOT want to go to a vegan restaurant for a romantic dinner with my mom.

My parents really deserve to have a nice dinner since they hardly go on dates. But, I'm at a crossroad here. Would it be non-vegan of me to buy them a giftcard?

Buying a giftcard to a nice restaurant gives them the opportunity to decide for themselves what they want to eat.

Would it be un-vegan of me to buy them a giftcard to a restaurant?

Does anyone else have any other Christmas gift ideas? I cannot think of ANYTHING to get for my dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I've done that in the past, eating out in a nice restaurant is one of my father's favorite things to do. Prime rib and 'taters of course.

I'm thinking of getting everyone gas cards this year instead. I'd rather enable their reliance on fossil fuels than their eating of meat.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, if the idea is to give them a nice date night, there are other options besides the restaurant. Have you considered tickets to some sort of show or concert that they might both enjoy?

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you could give your parents a gift card to a non veg restaurant without feeling guilty. When I offer to buy lunch when I'm out with a friend I don't insist that they eat a vegan meal. Omnis are going to eat animals no matter where they are, so I don't view it as increasing the demand.
#5 Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I think buying them that gift card is ethically no different from buying them animal products directly, so where you stand on it depends on where you stand on the latter.

I would second that juggling dude's suggestion of tickets. I think some movie theaters might have these general tickets where people can decide what to go see. That would have your parents spend a short while out together.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPanda View Post

IMO, No it's not unveg*n. I've bought giftcards to restaurants, coffeeshops, and pizza places that serve non veg*n food.

I also think that it's really sweet that you want them to have a nice romantic dinner since they don't get the chance to do that
#7 Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking along the "other activities" line too. Movie tickets, DVD rentals, etc. If they'd do DVDs, you could make up a nice basket with either a film or Blockbuster certificates, etc. and some popcorn and snacks.

Does your dad read? Play sports? Watch sports? Have a job that he loves?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPanda View Post

I don't really know what to get my parents for Christmas.

The only thing I can think of is buying them a giftcard to a nice restaurant, but I know my meat-loving dad would NOT want to go to a vegan restaurant for a romantic dinner with my mom.

My parents really deserve to have a nice dinner since they hardly go on dates. But, I'm at a crossroad here. Would it be non-vegan of me to buy them a giftcard?

Buying a giftcard to a nice restaurant gives them the opportunity to decide for themselves what they want to eat.

Does anyone else have any other Christmas gift ideas? I cannot think of ANYTHING to get for my dad.

I don't think it's unethical. You are not really encouraging your dad to eat more meat. He's already eating it. However, if your aim is to help animals whenever you can, maybe you can look at other options that have nothing to do with harming animals directly or indirectly.
#9 Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

What about a mall card that they can spend in any number of different shops?

m8itcanw8.com
#10 Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

How much do you want to spend? You could get them a giftcard to Ticketmaster so they can search for shows that interest them at times they can both go.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page