leather steering wheel cover with new car - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

If I buy the "deluxe" model I get all the options I need at a lower price than buying the cheaper model with the options added. About $500 lower. Issue: expensive model comes with a leather steering wheel cover and leather shift knob trim. Discuss?

Options include cruise control which is vital to avoid getting speeding tickets and avoid fatigue on long trips. Remote door locks. More storage bins and pockets. Fancyier cloth seats (I could live with the regular cloth). Power windows (I could live without them). Bigger wheels and tires (don't really need them). But I really would like the cruise control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Judging by the tone, the ethics of this trouble you. A lot of ethical consumers bring up the theory that leather is a by-product of the meat industry, therefore, not as harmful as putting the knife to the throat for meat production. However, by being such a profitable element of meat production, you are still supporting an industry based on carrying-out harm on animals by this. I try to generally steer clear of buying leather - I figure, it's my vote counted against an industry. Besides, leather in cars gets COOOOLLLD in winter time. That said, I understand why people choose leather and like it. Personally, I feel okay buying second hand as this problem isn't exacerbated.

[/my thoughts]
#3 Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Beginner

I would get it, and then get it changed as soon as. there must be somewhere that can take the leather off and put something else on lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronar View Post

I would get it, and then get it changed as soon as. there must be somewhere that can take the leather off and put something else on lol

Yes but of course, that should not be a proble. But the steer still would have been killed, to supply the leather.

TheLaika. Well, another issue is that it is a small amt of leather. One steer would supply maybe 100 cars. As opposed to leather seats, where you would need one steer for maybe every 2 to 4 cars. I probably would not consider buying a car with leather seats.

Plus there is another issue besides the money. Trim option like this are widespread. If one is not careful, one could easily end up with some leather trim that the manufacturer didn't list in their advertisement, or that one missed when reading about the car or looking it over. How much times out of one's precious time should one shopping, and reading over spec sheets, with the goal of trying to get avoid a purchase that includes such animal-origin details? Would ones time be better spent getting the car-buying job over with fast, and using the time one saved by volunteering for a vegan organization, and perhaps getting 100 people to stop buying animal flesh as food? Animals used for food is the overwhelmingly largest source of human-caused animal suffering. See the graph.
#5 Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Get the deluxe model, and then donate some of the $500 you save to a good cause, like an AR charity or a shelter?

If there's absolutely no way to opt out of it, that is. I think this comes under the whole "possible and practical" thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I recently bought a car and turned down every leather option on ethical grounds. They sounded like they hadn't heard that before but sicne they wanted to make the sale, honored our requests...or the deal was off.
#7 Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Get the deluxe model, and then donate some of the $500 you save to a good cause, like an AR charity or a shelter?

If there's absolutely no way to opt out of it, that is. I think this comes under the whole "possible and practical" thing.

yes yes
#8 Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaTeacher View Post

I recently bought a car and turned down every leather option on ethical grounds. They sounded like they hadn't heard that before but sicne they wanted to make the sale, honored our requests...or the deal was off.

That's been my experience. Leather is a luxury item so people are usually upgrading to it if they can, not the other way around.
#9 Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope I wouldn't do it. I actually just posted my opinions on where I would draw the line on leather in cars. If this was from a private seller then I'd say no big deal, but since this is coming from a dealership who I have no doubt tracks the options on the cars to see what sells the most, I wouldn't buy it.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd have to pay the extra $500.00 on this one. The only option I can think of, is asking if they can switch out the leather items for you.

I can understand your need for cruise control if you drive a lot. I don't and have never had it. My last car (which I had for 13 years) had power windows and they never gave me anything but trouble. I'm so happy with my manual windows that work.
#11 Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM

i had all the leather replaced in my car so i know that having even small bits removed is going to cost you enough that you may as well pay the extra $500 to have the car without the leather trim & you then wont have to go thru the hassle of getting it done.
#12 Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Replacing the leather does nothing for the animal that was killed - except for throwing their skin in the trash.

For the vegan forum I'm surprised how many people would go along with this, under any circumstances.

I would not buy a new car with leather anything. I've skipped over makes/models because they didn't have a trim level I wanted without a leather wrapped steering wheel and/or shift knob.

It's a deal breaker for me.

A used car, not so much.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

#13 Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Banned

Michael "Replacing the leather does nothing for the animal that was killed"

Ezzactly. But it makes you look more vegan, even if you're not.

"but sicne they wanted to make the sale, honored our requests...or the deal was off."

I'm sure the dealer would say to me "oh sure, we can get you the same car at the same price, except without the leather steering wheel cover and without the leather shift know, no problem." Same way in restaurants "we can get you the same sandwhich, but without the chicken." And maybe that means they leave out the chicken when they make the sandwhich; leave out the leather when they make the car. But maybe it means they start with the same sandwhich, and remove the chicken and throw it away; start with the same car and remove the leather steering wheel and shift knob, and give to someone who wants it. There would be no way to tell if the really left out the chicken, or removed it. Left out the steering wheel cover or removed it. Or if they removed it: whether threw it away, or gave-sold it to someone who wanted it.
#14 Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

i had all the leather replaced in my car so i know that having even small bits removed is going to cost you enough that you may as well pay the extra $500 to have the car without the leather trim & you then wont have to go thru the hassle of getting it done.

Upholstery replacement (seats, or interior panels or both) is rather time consuming. Even more so if you have it custom made by an upholstry shop. Replacing an entire steering wheel cover and shift knob cover is no comparison. The shift knob is likely a standard item that I could replace with a wooden knob for about $8.00. Lefty- loosey-righty-tighty and you have a new shift knob installed. The steering wheel - a new fancy hardwood steering wheel would be maybe $50 US or more, but a used steering wheel would be about 5-10 dollars. You separate any mechanical and electrical connections for the horn, air bag, cruise control, and maybe also wiper, headlamp dimmer control, etcetera, then the wheel itelf comes off with one special nut. Would take me an hour or 2. You might be able to simply remove the steering wheel cover without having to replace the steering wheel.
#15 Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Banned

Actually they might really be willing to give me a standard steer wheel and shift knob, and sell the leather ones to someone who wants those as an option.
#16 Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Uhm, no. I'm not sure why we're still posting because you appear to have your mind made up and agree with everyone who says you should get leather. You don't have to get leather; you're choosing to (or thinking about it). Vegans don't buy leather, and I don't know why you would want your hands on a killed cows' skin every time you drove, regardless if you're cruising or "vitally" using the gas like other people who drive.
#17 Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Replacing the leather does nothing for the animal that was killed - except for throwing their skin in the trash.

what made you think i had it replaced for the animals benefit ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Michael "Replacing the leather does nothing for the animal that was killed"

Ezzactly. But it makes you look more vegan, even if you're not.

christ on a friggin bike !! why dont ya just choose to see the worst in me !! i didnt have the leather ripped out so i could look more vegan, i ripped it out because i didnt want a daily reminder of cow death every time i hopped in my car. not only that, but the temp in summer easily reaches 110 farenheit where i live and youll get 3rd degree burns on the backs of your thighs sitting on leather seats ouch !!

Quote:

Upholstery replacement (seats, or interior panels or both) is rather time consuming. Even more so if you have it custom made by an upholstry shop. Replacing an entire steering wheel cover and shift knob cover is no comparison. The shift knob is likely a standard item that I could replace with a wooden knob for about $8.00. Lefty- loosey-righty-tighty and you have a new shift knob installed. The steering wheel - a new fancy hardwood steering wheel would be maybe $50 US or more, but a used steering wheel would be about 5-10 dollars. You separate any mechanical and electrical connections for the horn, air bag, cruise control, and maybe also wiper, headlamp dimmer control, etcetera, then the wheel itelf comes off with one special nut. Would take me an hour or 2. You might be able to simply remove the steering wheel cover without having to replace the steering wheel.

if you wanna have a go at doing it yourself, go ahead & do it dude, but i was just giving advice based on what i would do because even tho i love cars, im not the kind of guy who likes to get his hands dirty, id rather pay someone else to do it so i dont have to
#18 Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:

That was not in response to your post.

#19 Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

That was not in response to your post.

whos then ?? if it was a general comment to anyone who mentioned replacement, id still have to ask you why youd think that ??
#20 Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Uhm, no. I'm not sure why we're still posting because you appear to have your mind made up and agree with everyone who says you should get leather. You don't have to get leather; you're choosing to (or thinking about it). Vegans don't buy leather, and I don't know why you would want your hands on a killed cows' skin every time you drove, regardless if you're cruising or "vitally" using the gas like other people who drive.

I made several remarks agreeing with people who said I shouldn't get leather. I'm not sure why you are choosing to see only the remarks agreeing with people who said don't try to be too uber-vegan, and that leather seats are one thing, stearic acid in the tires, animal products in the coolant and brake fluid, and lits bits of leather trim like a steering wheel cover, are another. I am trying to give represenatation to both sides of the issue.

Should one refuse to support musicians, by going to their concerts, or purchasing their recordings, if one knows they use a piano (wool and leather) or one of countless other instruments with small amounts of animal-origin materials in them? Or refuse to buy a piano, violin, cello, viola, bass viol, conga drum? There are so many other ways to make music without resorting to these instruments. I wouldn't want to listen to vibrating animal parts, every time I listened to just about any kind music. But I listen anyway.
#21 Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

christ on a friggin bike !! why dont ya just choose to see the worst in me !! i didnt have the leather ripped out so i could look more vegan, i ripped it out because i didnt want a daily reminder of cow death every time i hopped in my car. not only that, but the temp in summer easily reaches 110 farenheit where i live and youll get 3rd degree burns on the backs of your thighs sitting on leather seats ouch !!

"We believe you!" - Ghostbusters sales department. There you go, that is another possible reason to want the leather removed, or not want it to begin with. Personally, I don't want to look-feel that leather stuff every time I hop in the car, either. One reason: it has unpleasant associations. But even if I remove the leather, I'm not convinced that I will be able to forget the associations. Another point for the "don't buy that car" side.
#22 Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Teresa
Quote:
I'd have to pay the extra $500.00 on this one

And give all that money to the largely meat-buying people at the car dealer and car manufacturing company, so that they can spend it on more meat? Figure 20% of someone's income goes to food, 1/4 of all food expenditures are for flesh. That's $25 worth of meat being bought and consumed. $25 worth of meat is about what, 10 pounds? What is worse, 1 pound of leather in a steering wheel cover, or 10 pounds of meat?
#23 Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

How much "hidden" animal products are in a car, by the way? How does the amount in a steering wheel cover compare?
  • Stearic acid in tires?
  • Brake fluid?
  • Coolant? (glycol coolants can be made from animal fat or vegetable oil; most likely commercial products come from both).
  • Small amounts of animal products in motor oil, transmission oil, power steering fluid?
  • Stearic acid in the rubber used in door seals, trunk seals, etcetera?
  • Used in brake lining?
  • Added to paint to control flow, amount of "orange peel" and other paint qualities. How much of the paint is animal matter? How many pounds of paint are on a car?

Would you drain your coolant and replace it with non-animal coolant?
#24 Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Beginner

you guys are overlooking the fact that it could be indian and thus cruelty free
#25 Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfarvito View Post

^Gotta be sarcasm.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#26 Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I can understand your need for cruise control if you drive a lot. I don't and have never had it. My last car (which I had for 13 years) had power windows and they never gave me anything but trouble. I'm so happy with my manual windows that work.

I tend to loose track of my speed on highways. Need to look at the speedometer every few seconds to judge my speed. My foot and leg gets a cramp in it from being in that one position it needs to stay in, to maintain speed with the foot-operated throttle. I feel that setting the cruise control is more conducive to comfort, and safety. Better than having to look away from the road every 20 seconds or so, to see the speedometer. Better than squirming around trying to be comfortable, or having to stop every few miles to rest my leg.
#27 Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I made several remarks agreeing with people who said I shouldn't get leather. I'm not sure why you are choosing to see only the remarks agreeing with people who said don't try to be too uber-vegan, and that leather seats are one thing, stearic acid in the tires, animal products in the coolant and brake fluid, and lits bits of leather trim like a steering wheel cover, are another. I am trying to give represenatation to both sides of the issue.

Should one refuse to support musicians, by going to their concerts, or purchasing their recordings, if one knows they use a piano (wool and leather) or one of countless other instruments with small amounts of animal-origin materials in them? Or refuse to buy a piano, violin, cello, viola, bass viol, conga drum? There are so many other ways to make music without resorting to these instruments. I wouldn't want to listen to vibrating animal parts, every time I listened to just about any kind music. But I listen anyway.

LMAO. Well, you might as well eat meat now, Soilman! Since being vegan is about appearances and you will look cooler if you're eating a hamburger while your hands are on the leather steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!
111!!!
Oh, I'm sorry, I meant uber-vegan.
#28 Old 12-09-2010, 12:40 PM

i wouldnt buy a car without cruise control. i dont use it around the city but out of town on the freeway its essential for me.
#29 Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfarvito View Post

yeah um... no. unless they just wait for indian cows to fall over sideways of natural causes and skin them at that point....and i'm relatively sure thats not how it goes down, not on the scale indian leather is produced currently.
#30 Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:

whos then ?? if it was a general comment to anyone who mentioned replacement, id still have to ask you why youd think that ??

I stated a fact, not an opinion - swapping leather does nothing for the animal who died for it other than having its skin end up in the trash. It doesn't matter why it was done - maybe you just didn't like the color, doesn't matter, doesn't change the fact that what I said is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page