leather steering wheel cover with new car - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Newbie
 
Kathleenh67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 63
We recently bought a new car and made sure there was no leather- we still got the power seats/locks (which I find essential) and cruise- which I never use here in CT- too much traffic. Are you completely sold on this particular model?
Kathleenh67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular
 
HNV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

How much "hidden" animal products are in a car, by the way? How does the amount in a steering wheel cover compare?
  • Stearic acid in tires?
  • Brake fluid?
  • Coolant? (glycol coolants can be made from animal fat or vegetable oil; most likely commercial products come from both).
  • Small amounts of animal products in motor oil, transmission oil, power steering fluid?
  • Stearic acid in the rubber used in door seals, trunk seals, etcetera?
  • Used in brake lining?
  • Added to paint to control flow, amount of "orange peel" and other paint qualities. How much of the paint is animal matter? How many pounds of paint are on a car?

Would you drain your coolant and replace it with non-animal coolant?


We all know that cars have parts of other animals in them that are unavoidable unless you dont buy a car. However, leather options? That IS avoidable.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
HNV is offline  
#33 Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I stated a fact, not an opinion - swapping leather does nothing for the animal who died for it other than having its skin end up in the trash. It doesn't matter why it was done - maybe you just didn't like the color, doesn't matter, doesn't change the fact that what I said is true.

jeez, are your eyes painted on ?? its like im speaking another language. i asked you a straight forward question about why you would think that me or anyone else swapping the leather in their car would be doing it to save the animal and you seem unable or unwilling to answer it. ffs dude, think about it, thats a ridiculous motivation for removing leather from a car & its pretty insulting to the membership here that youd actually think that some of us would actually believe it was saving an animal.
in any case, once the car is in already delivered to the showroom or the car lot, the animal is already dead. whether you leave the leather in there or rip it out, it aint saving any lives either way.
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zirpkatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,408
can't you get the deluxe model with cloth instead of leather?
zirpkatze is offline  
#35 Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Newbie
 
Jamie368's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
I think we are getting a little angry here. The post was made to open discussion about the topic. Of course, many ( I would even say most) vegans, would go to great lengths to avoid buying something with leather; that said, there is no reason to be belligerent about it. I'm glad soilman brought up the question, since he had a well... question! How often do you change someone's mind with anger?

Soilman, I agree with the several posts that say that leather is a no-go if you want to hold to vegan ethics. I DISAGREE strongly, lol, with the idea that having the leather replaced would be a viable option (though if the car was used... and you were "upgrading" to cruelty free version we could re-open that can of worms). But you have already made this argument.

As a few people have posted, you can find options that have everything you want without the leather. If you really want THIS car, then that is a decision, you and only you can make.

Many vegans (most / all???) would say that buying a car with leather trim isn't inline with vegan ideals. You can take it from there.
Jamie368 is offline  
#36 Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie368 View Post

I think we are getting a little angry here. The post was made to open discussion about the topic. Of course, many ( I would even say most) vegans, would go to great lengths to avoid buying something with leather; that said, there is no reason to be belligerent about it. I'm glad soilman brought up the question, since he had a well... question! How often do you change someone's mind with anger?

Soilman, I agree with the several posts that say that leather is a no-go if you want to hold to vegan ethics. I DISAGREE strongly, lol, with the idea that having the leather replaced would be a viable option (though if the car was used... and you were "upgrading" to cruelty free version we could re-open that can of worms). But you have already made this argument.

As a few people have posted, you can find options that have everything you want without the leather. If you really want THIS car, then that is a decision, you and only you can make.

Many vegans (most / all???) would say that buying a car with leather trim isn't inline with vegan ideals. You can take it from there.

Seriously, I'm a little shocked at all the hostility here. I thought soilman was asking some pretty reasonable questions and bringing up some good points about how cars already have numerous animal products anyway, I don't think he deserved some of the mean comments that were made. It's one thing to disagree with someone but yeesh, no need to bite his head off.

That being said I am of course against using leather if it's humanely possible to avoid it and it sure isn't vegan. Even if cars do already have trace ingredients of animal products in them I think it is possible and practical to avoid a leather steering wheel cover. A car may be a necessity but having to put your hands on dead cow skin every day is not, bleck! If it were me I would do some more shopping and try to track down a car that has the features you want like cruise control and also has cloth upholstery, I know they exist so with a little extra hunting you could find something perfect that doesn't require a compromise at all!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#37 Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
soilman- looks like things are looking up for you recently!

did you get enough moola together that you could/can afford to get your dental woes sorted as well as being able to afford the nice new car? i hope so!
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#38 Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Newbie
 
Surferchick2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

If I buy the "deluxe" model I get all the options I need at a lower price than buying the cheaper model with the options added. About $500 lower. Issue: expensive model comes with a leather steering wheel cover and leather shift knob trim. Discuss?

Options include cruise control which is vital to avoid getting speeding tickets and avoid fatigue on long trips. Remote door locks. More storage bins and pockets. Fancyier cloth seats (I could live with the regular cloth). Power windows (I could live without them). Bigger wheels and tires (don't really need them). But I really would like the cruise control.

So, you can get it for 500.00 cheaper to just go for the deluxe model (with the leather steering wheel and knob) if you were to add ALL of the same upgrades to the base model separately (without the leather)?

What if you were to purchase the base model with only the cruise since that's important to you. If I understand it's not 500.00 extra over the deluxe to add that one option. It sounds like you may have a few extra bucks to add a couple of other options before you jump to the deluxe model price.

Personally, leathers a huge no for me, so I'd forfeit a few of the others that aren't important and just add the cruise. OR, if you want all the others, just do it ala carte without the leather. I'd still spend a bit more if I could leave that nasty option out.

I know it would ruin my ride, and for an expensive item like a car, I'd want it free of anything I don't feel comfortable with, even if it means spending a few extra bucks. In this case, it doesn't seem like you even need to pay that unless you pay for the options that are not a big deal to you. The leather add would be a bigger deal for me.

That's what my choice would be.
Surferchick2 is offline  
#39 Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,368
Something that some are not considering.
many cars that have "leather" have man made leather, its not real, is simulated.
so, on one hand you are buying something that might promote the use of leather
but on the other hand you are not personally contributing to the death of a specific animal to be used in your car.
Fatman is offline  
#40 Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Something that some are not considering.
many cars that have "leather" have man made leather, its not real, is simulated.

yea, sometimes it is also that leather stuff made from little shreds of leather scraps, glued together into a sheet. I think they call it leather composite. It is real leather scraps mixed with, I think, urethane.
soilman is offline  
#41 Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
schick
Quote:
What if you were to purchase the base model with only the cruise since that's important to you.

The deluxe model, with the cruise control, and all the unnecesary options, is still less than the base model, even with just cruise control added. About $300 less. That's probably because they have the fancy models are in stock and they would have to order the base models for me. So I can also get my car 2 weeks faster if I take the little pices of leather I don't want. Also, base models are easier to locate if they have both cruise control AND power window and power locks and keyless entry (but without the fancier cloth and the larger, alloy wheels), than if they have just cruise control. Power windows, locks, and keyless entry, come only as a single option package. No choice in the matter.

I won't need to have them in my face all the time. They are removable. Not that the animals aren't killed anyway.
soilman is offline  
#42 Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNV View Post

We all know that cars have parts of other animals in them that are unavoidable unless you dont buy a car. However, leather options? That IS avoidable.

Yes. But not easily avoidable. It is so very common that options like cruise control or remote start are often bundled with leather trim.
soilman is offline  
#43 Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Newbie
 
Surferchick2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 73
Ok wierd! I wish more dealerships would charge less for a deluxe model than a base model. When car shopping, every place charged like 2-3 grand extra for the frills. Since they charge less, I'm surprised they wouldn't be willing to just switch out the steering wheel and the knob even if it's an advertised package. It's not a major switch (I've even done it myself in the past) and they're usually desperate for a sale. I've had salesmen promise me more complicated changes for free to complete a sale. Mind if I ask what car it is?

I guess it comes to what you feel comfortable doing.
Surferchick2 is offline  
#44 Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
I'm sure they would switch the knob and steering wheel, take them out and throw them away or give-sell them to someone who wanted them, however the animal would still be killed. Kia Forte hatchback. I don't know if they would do it for free as they would have to purchase a replacement steering wheel. But then, they might have a buyer for the leather wheel who doesn't want his plain wheel, any more. It is also possible that the leather cover just comes off of the wheel and that it isn't necessary to change the steering wheel. I haven't looked at it. Changing the wheel can be time consuming these days, what with the air bag, horn buttons, cruise control, turn signal lever, wiper control lever, and headlamp control lever buttons or lever, and often audio control buttons, all connected mechanically and-or electrically (grounded to, or connected to wires running along the steering column) to the steering wheel or steering column. I haven't looked at it.

Again, the MSRP for the deluxe model is more than that for the base model, but if they have deluxe models in stock, and are out of base models, they are always willing to cut the price on the deluxe model, esp if they have had them a long time and people have been asking for base models and not wanting the deluxe models.
soilman is offline  
#45 Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
Surferchick2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 73
Thats tough, but I'd still spend a bit more if it meant forfeiting putting my hands on leather or just accepting it because someone else might take it or because the animal's already killed. Then again, I wont purchase anything leather infused or trimmed (even if it's second hand)regardless of price because its gross. That's just me and it gives me peace. If someone who may not be particularly happy with leather bits can justify purchasing or including it under certain circumstances is up to them because we all see the use of animal and the consumer cycle of cruelty differently. I guess the only way to make it a no brainer for compassionate consumers to not have leather options is to not make it hard to eliminate it or entice with dinged prices, like Mercedes has by offering a leather free option on all their cars. However, if they are leftovers on the showroom floor, then you have to take whatever's there if it's all in the name of getting a markdown then justify, in regards to the animal, why in this particular situation it's different from having a choice at the original price points. if the animals killed already they had been regardless of the list price so for me, it's about what it is and not the money saved.

The new cruelty free tote may be more than the leather purse with the convenient pockets at TJMaxx and that's the way it is. I can hope that the reason why there are cars with
animal skin, regardless of how small, are left because consumers chose the animal free option and whether it as cheaper or not, took a stand against it. My guess is because at the time when they weren't so desperate to move the oldies to make way for the new, it was also about the cost. Unless they cant sell it at all and they might have to dump them
at a dreaded auction instead of a consumer choosing it to take out of inventory, will there be changes....but usually it's not about the trim. My dh's family, my dads friend, and an acquaintence of mine owned dealerships and one bought and sold 100s of cars at auction. I guess the next fleet will be telling.
Surferchick2 is offline  
#46 Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
It was a similar thing with heated, power-operated side view mirrors. I didn't want heated mirrors. Or even power mirrors. I am fine with sticking my hand out the window and adjusting a frosty, cold mirror, with my hand. But I wanted cruise control, for my safety and to avoid traffic tickets, and while it is possible to order cruise control without the heated power mirrors, it was far cheaper to go for a car they already had on the lot, that had both cruise control and power heated mirrors, rather than order one with cruise control and without power heated mirrors. Plus I get the car 4 to 5 weeks sooner that way. The dealers are always willing to cut prices to get rid of existing inventory that has been moving slowly, and always want to keep the prices high, if you want order exactly what you want. If you want to be picky with regard to little details (and to everyone else but a vegan, a leather steering wheel cover is a minute detail) - you have to pay for the privelege of being picky. There is something to be said for the self-empowerment that having more money affords one. And if you are a largely vegan, then it is simultaneously vegan empowerment. Even if you are being 99% vegan instead of 100%. More than 99%, given that a steering wheel cover weighs about 1/4 of a pound, and the whole car weighs 2750 pounds. So the car is (1 - (0.25/2750)) x 100 = 99.99% vegan.
soilman is offline  
#47 Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
That said, it looks like I can get 0% financing on a Toyota Matrix base model, with cruise control - and without any leather in it - but with other junk that I don't want (power heated mirrors, higher power heater, dealer floor mats, power windows and door locks and remote lock-unlock), making the overall anmount I will pay for the Toyota Matrix hatchback, lower than the Kia Forte, even though the Toyota's nominal selling price is higher. Despite costing me less, the Toyota has higher resale, better reliability reputation, more cargo room inside, and a sturdier cargo floor. It weighs a bit more, has a slightly smaller engine (1.8 rather than 2.0 liters), and is goes 1 to 2 miles less far on a gallon of gas than the Kia goes on a gallon. I do like getting a rear window wiper - which you can't get, unless you also take the power heated mirror, and more powerful heater (which I don't need on relatively mild-wintered Long Island NY). The rear wiper just isn't available alone, no matter how much more you want to pay, and how long you want to wait for a special order.

Sometimes we have to take smaller things we don't want, in order to get larger things we want.
soilman is offline  
#48 Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Newbie
 
Surferchick2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 73
Yeah and that's what it's about. If being forced to accept the smaller things (and it does depend on how hardcore you are about what it is) to get the larger is all about what that person is willing to live with. On an expensive item, the difference isn't in cost is less for something I plan on keeping for over 5 years. I believe in biodiesel local sustainable sources also, but wouldnt have purchased a big 4x4 truck for it. Luckily volkswagen made the tdi. That's one case I'd give something I believe in up I believe in for something I don't need. Either way, congratulations on your purchase. These points aren't to criticize but to look at it at different angles and why we'd make the decision on a personal level.
Surferchick2 is offline  
#49 Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
I ultimately got a new 2010 Toyota Matrix, base model, manual transmission, with cruise control. I had to take heated mirrors and rear wiper with washer, and power windows and door locks, floor carpet mats and cargo area carpet mat, to get the cruise control But no leather. Weighs about 2865 pounds; has the (smaller) 1.8 liter engine and gets epa estimated mpg 26-32.
soilman is offline  
#50 Old 01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AeryFairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I ultimately got a new 2010 Toyota Matrix, base model, manual transmission, with cruise control. I had to take heated mirrors and rear wiper with washer, and power windows and door locks, floor carpet mats and cargo area carpet mat, to get the cruise control But no leather. Weighs about 2865 pounds; has the (smaller) 1.8 liter engine and gets epa estimated mpg 26-32.

Awesome I'm glad you found a solution.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AeryFairy is offline  
#51 Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Thumbs down Is the lack of plastic steering wheel option discriminatory?

When the standard steering wheel was plastic, there was an option to pick a leather steering wheel. Now that the standard appears to be becoming leather, there isn’t a similar alternative. To me that appears to be discrimination against all of those people who have adopted a life in which animals do not have to die in order for us to live, regardless of whether that is because of ethical or religious reasons.

I understand that many religions also teach that even if eaten, they must be sure that the animal was treated without cruelty. That cannot be guaranteed for any of the animals from which the leather was taken. Given ethical beliefs and religious teaching I'm surprised people aren't challenging the inclusion of leather more often.

I don't understand going ahead with the purchases and adapting afterwards. If we accept things that go against our beliefs just because to fight against it is difficult, nothing will ever change. Most companies will only listen when their potential for sales is actually impacted.
Miyagi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off