VeggieBoards banner

are there any vegan drugstore conditioners

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Rachel Bonneau 
#1 ·
i dont even remember at this point. i have really curly/kinky african american hair and so thats something separate in itself but i remember before i went vegan i used a vo5 lime clarifying conditioner every day and i had to stop using it because i think it has hydrolyzed collagen or something in it. same story with herbal essences hello hydration in the blue bottle. i used to be addicted to that stuff. then i remember using vo5 strawberries and cream conditioner. i dont remember if that was vegan or not or why i stopped using it. I know that most of the hair products in drug stores are owned by the same few companies that test on animals or they just have animal ingredients in them. so ive been using obnoxiously expensive (in comparison to drugstore products, but not really that pricey) hair products.

i use a lot of hair stuff, specifically conditioners and deep conditioners. and although it doesnt kill me to pay anywhere from $8-20 a bottle for my beloved Nature's Gate Hemp Conditioner, Aubrey Organics conditioners, and Giovanni Direct Leave In conditioner, and other products specifically made for my hair type (darcys botanicals, oyin handmade, qhemet biologics, jessicurl, kinky curly, jane carter solution, etc.) it would be nice to be able to pick up a huge bottle of good conditioner (preferably silicone free) that was also vegan. i miss those days when i could get a huge family sized bottle for like 4 dollars without getting it online.

(Because vitacost.com has great deals and discounts on a lot of natural ingredient hair products and they have flat rate shipping to boot.)

Does anyone know of ANY? I cant think of any.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate having to buy this kind of stuff online but I don't know of any either.
Usually the ones I've heard of are very rare or online, etc.

So I get my stuff from LUSH, some stuff are pricey but conditioners should be about $9 but whatever you do don't get the solid ones, they don't work.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

White Rain is "accidently vegan" but honestly I think their shampoos/conditioners suck. I buy the conditioner but use it as shaving gel for my legs since it's usually under $1 and so much cheapter than regular shaving gels.
wow i've never heard of using conditioner for your legs =0
Does it leave different results than using soap?

#9 ·
how about trying an alternative to conditioner?

I use diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner/rinse after cleaning my hair, it works great. gets out tangles quickly and leave my hair soft and smooth. I recently tried a natural hair color and in the directions they suggested rinsing with acv once in a while for softness. It really works!

My hair gets damaged in the summer months from the sun and chlorine, I use natural things on my hair to put the moisture back and try to repair the collagen like avocado, coconut oil, and bananas. I just blend up an avocado or banana in the food processor and put it on my hair before a shower. With coconut oil i usually just put a little on my hands and rub it into the ends, it makes that dry crunchy feeling go away.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I use diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner/rinse after cleaning my hair, it works great. gets out tangles quickly and leave my hair soft and smooth. I recently tried a natural hair color and in the directions they suggested rinsing with acv once in a while for softness. It really works!

My hair gets damaged in the summer months from the sun and chlorine, I use natural things on my hair to put the moisture back and try to repair the collagen like avocado, coconut oil, and bananas. I just blend up an avocado or banana in the food processor and put it on my hair before a shower. With coconut oil i usually just put a little on my hands and rub it into the ends, it makes that dry crunchy feeling go away.
oh no i couldnt live without conditioner. not with my hair type. lol and i love hair products i wouldnt ever trade them in permanently for fruits and stuff. i use oils on my hair. a lot. i use all kinds depending on what i can get my hands on but i use it as a moisturizer not as a conditioner or as addition to my deep condition. i love coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil.

i do acv rinse sometimes but definitely not as a substitute for conditioner. im pretty sure its not meant to be used as a replacement for conditioner either so be careful love. however if you have hair that isnt like mine you could probably get away with it.

this thread just verifies my suspicion. no good drugstore vegan conditioners esp not for hair like mine! this definitely doesnt help me in convincing people to go vegan lol

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post

oh no i couldnt live without conditioner. not with my hair type. lol and i love hair products i wouldnt ever trade them in permanently for fruits and stuff. i use oils on my hair. a lot. i use all kinds depending on what i can get my hands on but i use it as a moisturizer not as a conditioner or as addition to my deep condition. i love coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil.

i do acv rinse sometimes but definitely not as a substitute for conditioner. im pretty sure its not meant to be used as a replacement for conditioner either so be careful love. however if you have hair that isnt like mine you could probably get away with it.

this thread just verifies my suspicion. no good drugstore vegan conditioners esp not for hair like mine! this definitely doesnt help me in convincing people to go vegan lol
The oils you mention are conditioning! Heated and used with a cap, they're ideal. The more expensive vegan conditioners you mention probably wouldn't cost so much if they had more demand for them.
You need to realize most commercial hair products cause a lot of problems. Have you tried either going without shampoo, or greatly diluting it? Sounds like you may get by very well with just conditioner, and maybe a dilute baking soda (like one tablespoon per cup) for your scalp. That's what I've been doing for the past year, and my hair is quite managable now- not dry or frizzy. I also use a dilute apple cider vinegar rinse.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I buy the conditioner but use it as shaving gel for my legs since it's usually under $1 and so much cheapter than regular shaving gels.
I do that too with conditioner, baby lotion is also good in place of shaving gel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I'm going to try that!

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

supposedly everything on http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/ and http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/index.php is vegan... but don't quote me on that because I'm just repeating something I was told by a friend. I don't know their prices though, because I've never checked them out. hope those help.
The Body Shop's policy about being against animal testing is not to be trusted. The parent company L'Oreal definitely DO test on animals and what they really mean by not testing on animals is that the older and previously tested ingredients they use are no longer continuing to be tested, but any new ingredients they use are still subject to tests.

Until march 2013 when the total ban on the sale of animal tested products come into effect, it's more ethical for vegans to stay away from all L'Oreal products. L'Oreal doesn't make PETA's list of safe products and they also haven't received accreditation from the Aussie organisation CCF (Choose Cruelty Free), and so they don't make their list of cruelty-free companies either.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

The Body Shop's policy about being against animal testing is not to be trusted. The parent company L'Oreal definitely DO test on animals and what they really mean by not testing on animals is that the older and previously tested ingredients they use are no longer continuing to be tested, but any new ingredients they use are still subject to tests.

Until march 2013 when the total ban on the sale of animal tested products come into effect, it's more ethical for vegans to stay away from all L'Oreal products. L'Oreal doesn't make PETA's list of safe products and they also haven't received accreditation from the Aussie organisation CCF (Choose Cruelty Free), and so they don't make their list of cruelty-free companies either.
glad I mentioned it then. I'll let her know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.