need help making these cookies vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

this is one of my grandma's recipes for christmas cookies. i have to make these again this year but i don't know how i'd properly substitute the eggwhites. i'm going to post all ingredients and directions just in case and i'll do my best to translate it.

the ingredients:
3 eggwhites
250g powdered sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
3 drops bitter almond extract
1 tsp cinnamon
275-325g ground almonds or hazelnuts
more almonds/hazelnuts or powdered sugar for rolling out the dough

the directions:
beat eggwhites til it's very stiff, knife cut must remain visible; slowly mix in the powdered sugar; set aside 1 tbsp of the mix; mix in the vanilla sugar, spices, and hald the nuts; then knead as many nuts into the dough until it's barely sticky; roll out the dough til it's 1/2 cm thick on a surcace covered/sprinkled with the extra powdered sugar or nuts; cut out stars and brush with the sugar/eggwhite mixture that was set aside; bake 30-40 min at 130-150C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

flax + water?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#3 Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I go with flax and water for sugar cookies and snickerdoodles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

I'm 100% positive flax and water will not work in this recipe. The function of the eggs in these cookies is not for binding, as is generally the case. You are basically making a meringue in the original recipe. There is no easy way to veganize this. There are vegan meringue kits available online and in some specialty shops. I think that may be the only way to do this.
#5 Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I'm 100% positive flax and water will not work in this recipe. The function of the eggs in these cookies is not for binding, as is generally the case. You are basically making a meringue in the original recipe. There is no easy way to veganize this. There are vegan meringue kits available online and in some specialty shops. I think that may be the only way to do this.

now that makes me sad. i'll try the flax mix and see how it goes and i'll also find a way to make or buy a vegan meringue.

if there are any other suggestions i'd like to hear them as well
#6 Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I think reneeannem may be right. You could try making a gel from agar flakes, and whipping it after it has set slightly. I have a Croatian recipe for a cake that is similar to this, using egg white and ground almonds, and no flour, and I have often wondered about how to approximate it without the egg white. I've just never actually tried it yet.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

So I've been wanting to make nougat for a long time, and since nougat is basically eggwhite plus sugar, I was gonna experiment with vegan marshmallows (which is basically the same thing plus gelatin). However I still haven't, so I can't be much help in that department.

But, while I was doing my research online, I came up to this website, which has vegan meringue, and vegan marshmallow recipes.
btw, what is the point of the meringue, if you are just brushing the cookies with it? What does it do??

Please let us know what works and what doesn't, so maybe we can try the recipe too
#8 Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

This recipe from Vegan Dad might help: http://vegansaurus.com/post/13459768...five-vegan-dad

The meringue part, not the buttercream of course. It looks very similar as far as sugar and almond portions go.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#9 Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page