Girl quits vegan because of health issues advised by doctor? - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#151 Old 11-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

apparently, fat and carbs (which she was starving herself of) are helping! shock! who knew that bread, butter, eggs could have such positive effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 11-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Fat and carbs have actually been shown to curb the hunger pangs of certain vegans, as does protein, but the supreme irony is you needn't eat animal products to consume these nutrients. I find it dishonest to an extreme fault that this person and others seem to imply that.

Tam! RUGH!
#153 Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to know where her green vegetables are, if she's so interested in health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yeah I know..those turnip greens I ate today are from a guy who lives three whole houses down the street.

That's just way to exotic and un-natural. But turducken...that's natural food

Quote:
...the claim that veganism is more natural and healthier than meat eating. This is simply not the case. Veganism requires the consumption of a variety of foods, some of them exotic and imported. Ancestral people had to rely on local food sources to survive.

Oh, and central heat, cars, airplanes and blogs are oh so natural and our ancestral people really relied on them for their survival!
#155 Old 11-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

One of my friends who has been seriously considering going vegetarian just posted this on Facebook with this comment:

And now it's looking like she's leaning towards not going vegetarian, largely because of this girls blog. Argh!

I linked her to that fantastic response Indian Summer posted and she said she liked it and was still thinking things over but it looks like some real damage has been done. It's so frustrating how quickly people latch onto things like this and use it as an excuse to not change their habits.

Right - not eating animals "saves no more animals" than eating them, and is worse for the environment. There are very, very few and specific instances in which that could possibly be said to be the case. These people are just looking for reasons to eat animals and justify it using fallacies. You ought to direct your moron friend to the nutritionist's critique of the moronic book The Vegetarian Myth too, as that's what moron ex vegan blogger is basing her moronic thoughts on
http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/re...rian-myth.html

Quote:
Lierre Keith suffers from numerous chronic health problems. Unable to secure a diagnosis for most of them, she decided that the vegan diet she had followed for twenty years was to blame. But she wasn’t content to add a few animal products back to her diet. Instead, she set out to prove that healthy diets require copious amounts of animal foods and that small-scale animal farming is the answer to sustainability. To prove it, she has cobbled together information from websites (yes, she actually cites Wikipedia!) and a few popular pseudoscientific books.

It’s next to impossible to review this book; it is so packed with misinformation and confusion that refuting the claims could be another book itself...

she points out that ten acres on Polyface Farm can produce enough food to feed 9 people for a year. But on his blog Say What Michael Pollan, mathematician Adam Merberg performs calculations which suggest that Polyface requires more calories in feed (for the chickens) than it produces in food. The numbers aren’t nearly as egregious as those for factory farming, but they suggest that there is no such thing as truly sustainable meat production.

Anyone who's actually eating the body of an animal and tries to say that they care so much about animals that they're actually saving them (from suffering? pain? death?) by eating them is so ridiculously deluded it's hard to comment on it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#156 Old 11-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Oh no, looks like another blog has jumped on the anti-vegan bandwagon!!!

#157 Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Right - not eating animals "saves no more animals" than eating them, and is worse for the environment. There are very, very few and specific instances in which that could possibly be said to be the case. These people are just looking for reasons to eat animals and justify it using fallacies. You ought to direct your moron friend to the nutritionist's critique of the moronic book The Vegetarian Myth too, as that's what moron ex vegan blogger is basing her moronic thoughts on
http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/re...rian-myth.html

Anyone who's actually eating the body of an animal and tries to say that they care so much about animals that they're actually saving them (from suffering? pain? death?) by eating them is so ridiculously deluded it's hard to comment on it.

Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous really. I did post the Vegetarian Myth review on her wall right now so lets hope that helps and I'm not just being too pushy.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#158 Old 11-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Looking at moron ex vegan's blog, more than 2.5 years into being vegan...

Quote:
My life has transformed. The physical benefits are amazing, asthma and allergies cleared up, I have been sick once since becoming a Vegan and it was so mild it could barely be considered a cold, my migraines have almost disappeared, etc. And last month I had a complete physical with blood work and stress tests and all of my results were not just normal, but stellar!

But honestly, none of that holds a candle to the mental and spiritual transformation. I am whole. I am finally whole. My heart is complete. To walk this path is to know what is right. To know what is true. I cry just thinking about how I used to be, how much was hidden from me, how much I kept hidden from myself. It wasn’t until I became Vegan that I realized how limited my love had previously been. Even if it is just subconscious, your heart always knows that you are a hypocrite when you are not vegan. You can spend your life saving puppies and kitties and horses, but if you are going home at night and eating a steak or a cheese pizza, your heart will never be whole. It cannot be whole because the pain would be too great. As sentient beings we have feelings and love and gentleness, it is innate in our souls. Even when it is buried down deep the fundamental knowledge that you are devouring the flesh of a defenseless, frightened animal hurts the psyche profoundly and forces us to shut off a part of our brain and close down a portion of our heart. Denying this gentle, compassionate aspect of ourselves over and over and over again, every day, numbs our feelings and the best parts of ourselves. We don’t even know this is happening most of the time. We’ve been doing it since we were babies and we are conditioned to never think of it and never question it. But we know. We always know. Now, as a Vegan, my heart can know itself in its entirety, I am a hypocrite no longer. I am whole.

http://voraciouseats.com/2009/08/11/i-am-whole/

What a piece of work this POS is. Now she's actively trashing veganism, promoting copious use of animal products, proclaiming her joy and weird orgasmic pleasure in eating animals. She denied free help from the vegan nutritionist. It was obviously a mental shift, not a health shift. There is something very wrong with this lady. Anyone who had any real feeling for animals as she professed would first try to remain vegan, and then if for some reason they felt they couldn't, would try to use the minimal amount of animal products, and still feel some sadness for taking a life instead of trying to get others to join them in the use of animals (as if 99% of the population isn't enough). I think she's mentally unstable, seriously.

Werewolf - send that to your Facebook friend - the ex vegan's asthma and allergies cleared up on a vegan diet! And if we're to believe that ex vegan was lying to promote veganism, then we can trust that now she's willing to lie to promote her newest passion. What she says is untrustworthy.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#159 Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

#160 Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, hadn't read that before.... What a loon! Her overblown descriptions of the joys of veganism and how it fills her heart with warmth and light and blah blah blah aren't all that different from her descriptions of how orgasmic meat is now. I guess she really is rather mentally unstable and throws herself into things with a whole lot of passion and without a lot of forethought, the complete 180 she did to the point that now she doesn't care about animals at all and is raving about bacon on Twitter is a little scary.

Also, she had bloodwork done a year ago and her results were not just normal, but stellar! And now apparently she's riddled with all sorts of deficiencies and will fall over from lack of iron and B12 if she doesn't chow down on a few animals and their excretions every day? Kay.....

That just leads me to think she was lying and/or overexaggerating her health claims both when she was a vegan and now as an omni. None of this adds up.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#161 Old 11-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Also, she had bloodwork done a year ago and her results were not just normal, but stellar! And now apparently she's riddled with all sorts of deficiencies and will fall over from lack of iron and B12 if she doesn't chow down on a few animals and their excretions every day? Kay.....

That just leads me to think she was lying and/or overexaggerating her health claims both when she was a vegan and now as an omni. None of this adds up.

Yeah, I've read comments from people defending her transformation saying, "She almost DIED on a vegan diet." Uh, no, she didn't. She was doing high intensity workouts right up until the moment she decided she wanted to eat animals again.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#162 Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

Lastly, her doctor told her to eat eggs - so how did she hear bacon?
Her hearing needs to be checked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yeah I know..those turnip greens I ate today are from a guy who lives three whole houses down the street.

Hahahaha.
#163 Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Get a button

http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/still-vegan-button

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#164 Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hahaha, I need one of those! Every time I go to visit my mom asks me if I'm still vegan, and she asked me if I was still not eating meat for years before that.

If I have a button I can just point to it! Saves time

#165 Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I met an ex-vegan that was very very similar to that. She went on for probably about a half hour trying to explain her reasons for going back to eating meat. No one even asked her to explain, she came to a vegan meetup to discuss the farmer's market that she was managing and someone asked the table who was vegan and who wasn't. When it came to her she said no and everyone was just like ok and tried to move along and she just kept going. Imagine listening to that blogger say all of that to you in person. Ugh. It was insane.

I totally stand by the never trust an ex-vegan line. I've only met one ex-vegan so far and my god she could have wrote that blog.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#166 Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

There's no way I'm reading all that post, it's like War and Peace!

Anyways, I've been vegan for almost 5 years and had my blood tested last year... I am very active and have been fine so far. Maybe she was not eating a healthy, varied diet. You can be a meat eater and have vitamin defficiencies too.
#167 Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 AM

I wish she would have gone into as bit more detail about WHAT exactly she was deficient in. I mean, what was it? Iron? B12? Calcium? I was vegan (in diet, at least) for 9 months before I fell off the wagon (I'm planning on going vegan for 2011), and I had a blood test at 8 months and there were no deficiencies.

I agree with everyone's who's saying that the 'physiologically/biologically different' is total bs. If I told you that I had two pigs, and one lived on fish and poultry, and the other one ate only vegetables and grains, and they both had the same health, how ridiculous would that be? Yes, people have different needs of certain nutrients (heaver period= more iron, bigger/more active person= more protein, etc), but there isn't a thing besides B12 that can't be met on a vegan diet.
#168 Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckyRUN! View Post

I wish she would have gone into as bit more detail about WHAT exactly she was deficient in.

Common sense.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#169 Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I read to the part where she was describing how great meat was to eat again. I'm not bothered that she didn't want to be vegan again but more bothered behind how it nearly killed her. That she didn't get a second opinion, that she jumped so willingly into it. It seemed like quick escape for her. How can someone give up 'values' they have had for years overnight? It's all confusing.

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#170 Old 12-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

She's wearing a feather headdress in her latest post. I wonder how that's benefitting her health?

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#171 Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

She's wearing a feather headdress in her latest post. I wonder how that's benefitting her health?

It's clearly a supernatural channeling device to aid her in properly harnessing the bird's spirit energy. I heard that if she squints at the sun for three hours in just the right way, she can see the fallen fowl's apparition projecting from the headdress.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#172 Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

She never claimed it's only about health. As she explained in her "not a vegan any more" ramble, supporting institutionalized animal cruelty is better for the planet, the environment, and feminism.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#173 Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Oh. My. God. I have gotten to "Part 3" of her self indulgent meat manifesto and I can't actually take anymore of it. Sounds to me this girl clearly had some sort of food allergy but of course doctors will tell you you need dairy and meat, they are the companies that all the money lies in, after all.

Argh. I'm so angry at that idiotic passive judgemental see you next tuesday >.<

Was she really beautiful? Was she at least what they call attractive? She was exasperation, she was torture. ― Vladimir Nabokov, Ada, or Ardor

#174 Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw her post "Vegan defector talks back"
She needs to get off her high horse. When saying why she didn't go from vegan to vegetarian she basically says it does no good because it isn't as ethical as Veganism.
Quote:
Like I always said when I was a vegan: there isn’t really an ethical difference between meat and eggs/dairy. In almost every instance, dairy and egg production relies on the use and death of animals just as much as meat production. Vegans who tell people they have to go vegan not vegetarian to make any difference shouldn’t be telling me that I can only be a vegetarian.

So giving up and eating animals is better?!

And I hate how in paragraph she says she doesn't hates Vegans and thinks they're doing good, but in another paragraph she gets all angry and says they aren't helping.
Quote:
But I’d like to remind you that the food you eat kills lots of animals, too. It might kill fewer animals than someone else’s diet, but veganism doesn’t guarantee that. And no, your intentions definitely don’t matter to the dead animal. They don’t care if they die getting run over by the tractor that grows the wheat to make your vegan snack, or if they die getting slaughtered to make my burger. Every time you choose to over eat, or eat food that you don’t really need, you are intentionally participating in the death of an animal. Which is definitely not vegan.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#175 Old 12-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

And I hate how in paragraph she says she doesn't hates Vegans and thinks they're doing good, but in another paragraph she gets all angry and says they aren't helping.
Quote:
But Id like to remind you that the food you eat kills lots of animals, too. It might kill fewer animals than someone elses diet, but veganism doesnt guarantee that. And no, your intentions definitely dont matter to the dead animal. They dont care if they die getting run over by the tractor that grows the wheat to make your vegan snack, or if they die getting slaughtered to make my burger. Every time you choose to over eat, or eat food that you dont really need, you are intentionally participating in the death of an animal. Which is definitely not vegan.

Can somebody explain this to me. Doesn't a cow eat a lot more than a human? And so by default, if you kill a cow to eat it, you are also consuming all the food the cow ate. So if there is that issue that eating grains kills animals, aren't you killing more animals by eating a cow, since that cow has eaten way more grain than you would, and hence we aren't just killing the cow, but also all the field animals as a result of harvesting the food for the cow to eat?
Mathematically, it doesn't add up. Does it?

And lecturing ppl about over-eating, when she's having an orgasim at the dinner table by eating and eating, is a bit much, no?
#176 Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Thought I'd bump this thread to post a response I happened upon recently:

http://veganfeministagitator.blogspo...vore-fail.html

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#177 Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Can somebody explain this to me. Doesn't a cow eat a lot more than a human? And so by default, if you kill a cow to eat it, you are also consuming all the food the cow ate. So if there is that issue that eating grains kills animals, aren't you killing more animals by eating a cow, since that cow has eaten way more grain than you would, and hence we aren't just killing the cow, but also all the field animals as a result of harvesting the food for the cow to eat?
Mathematically, it doesn't add up. Does it?

And lecturing ppl about over-eating, when she's having an orgasim at the dinner table by eating and eating, is a bit much, no?

You are correct on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Such a great response, love it!

#178 Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

...but also all the field animals as a result of harvesting the food for the cow to eat?

Those harvesting tractors run at anywhere from 2 to 5 mph. What mouse or rabbit can't run faster than 5 mph? Even I can outrun most farm equipment. If she hadn't burned out all her brain cells by having meat based orgasms she might be able to figure this out on her own, but I doubt it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#179 Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Oh my gosh, I have a mixer just like hers! I got it from a friend of my Gramma's.

Sorry, off topic. I just got excited.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#180 Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Feminist Agitator blog View Post

Yes, my starving soul nearly screamed with each voluptuous bite of silky roasted vegetables and chewy crust, yes.

Just awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page