Girl quits vegan because of health issues advised by doctor? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#121 Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Beginner

It's pretty incredible how widespread this girl's post has become. A ton of people have latched onto it to wage their anti-vegan crusades. It's kind of frightening how many omnivores so thoroughly hate, loathe, and detest vegans. I hope Tasha is happy she has hurt so many people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwheatonfan View Post

It's pretty incredible how widespread this girl's post has become. A ton of people have latched onto it to wage their anti-vegan crusades. It's kind of frightening how many omnivores so thoroughly hate, loathe, and detest vegans. I hope Tasha is happy she has hurt so many people.

I know, I saw it posted on Reddit yesterday with a title like "Girl quits vegan because of her health, gets death threats from supposedly compassionate and loving wackos."

This is not good PR...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#123 Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help but laugh at the absurdity of the whole situation. This woman has caused a lot of damage, but only because of how readily people latch onto ridiculous claims that help them rationalize.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:

I hope Tasha is happy she has hurt so many people.

what do you mean by she hurt so many people ??
#125 Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A ton of people have latched onto it to wage their anti-vegan crusades. It's kind of frightening how many omnivores so thoroughly hate, loathe, and detest vegans.

I think it is because they are being defensive. Vegans are a very easy target as we are such a minority.
#126 Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

what do you mean by she hurt so many people ??

Probably that this will be used against us. It will be taken as evidence that veganism is unhealthy and misguided. That people who are raising their children on vegan diets are ruining their health etc.

(For those who didn't see this the previous 7 times I posted it: http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do...gan-diets.html )
Raskolnikova likes this.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#127 Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Probably that this will be used against us. It will be taken as evidence that veganism is unhealthy and misguided. That people who are raising their children on vegan diets are ruining their health etc.

(For those who didn't see this the previous 7 times I posted it: http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do...gan-diets.html )

That link is REALLY useful, I don't think you can post it too much! I'm definitely posting it as a response if I find anyone using this girls blog to bash vegans.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#128 Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I think it is because they are being defensive. Vegans are a very easy target as we are such a minority.

Yeah, very true. I mean, vegetarians are a minority and are considered weird enough, but vegans are seen as SUPER weird so we get the most backlash and are hurt the most by incidents like this.

That kind of thing is inevitable with any kind of social change though, and the bigger the change the more resistance you get. Just think of how much flack the suffragettes got for believing women had the right to vote.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#129 Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:

tbh, i think youre all affording her way too much power. i mean, when you think about it, shes just some hi mantenance girl who ran a cheaparse blog. with the internet being the way it is, next week she will probably be forgotten.
im pretty confident that the only reason so many omnis in the u.s. have jumped on her bandwagon to back her up is because they know veganism is gaining popularity & mainstream acceptance & they dont like it. now if someone as powerful as ellen degeneres were to fall off the wagon, then id be a bit more pissed off. until then, i reckon its not worth stressing too much
#130 Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think her point was something different, about how some vegan arguments are misogynistic for "attacking the body" or whatever. That's what I find confusing.

I have no idea, honestly. There are two websites she links (Paleosister and The Non-Practicing Vegan) that talk about this; unfortunately, I can't find which exact post they talk about it in. But on one, I think it was Paleosister, she talked about the argument I was paraphrasing before.

It's a concept I don't understand particularly well, so sorry if I explained poorly. I'm more or less as confused as you are.

My guess, based on how you explained it, is that veganism "attacks the body" because women go towards it as a way to break out of the patriarchy but end up feeling tied to it; if they return to being omnivores, which these people believe they will eventually do, then this vegan-feminism says they have failed and are subjecting themselves to patriarchy by eating meat. So I guess her point is that it's ok to be an omnivorous feminist, and to disagree with that vegan-feminist view? Don't quote me on it, though.

Quote:
The nutritionist in IS's link makes the very opposite claim.

You're right; now that I found that link, it was a very good article.

Quote:

I believe you might be thinking of a study (or rumors originating from that specific study) that focused on a couple of vitamins, but did not look at B12 and several others, and I don't think minerals were studied either.

Probably. It's something I heard a lot growing up, but it may well have come from that. Thank you for that link, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Clarita, Vegans who don't supplement with B12 are playing a very dangerous game with their health.

Oh, I know. I take a supplement. I just meant that growing up, I'd heard that supplements weren't as good as the real thing - NOT that they were worthless.
#131 Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I just read some parts near the end of that way overlong blog entry and got to all the stuff about "cycle of life and death". Holy ****, when she needed to rationalize her current choice as the best one, she really went all the way

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#132 Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

If people would stop giving it so much attention, it would go away. Chill out guys.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#133 Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

If people would stop giving it so much attention, it would go away. Chill out guys.

This is what I was thinking... if veg*ns stopped posting about it, then the omnis probably wouldn't even know about it, and wouldn't be spamming us all with it, saying "SEE! We told you your diet was stupid!".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#134 Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

I have no idea, honestly. There are two websites she links (Paleosister and The Non-Practicing Vegan) that talk about this; unfortunately, I can't find which exact post they talk about it in. But on one, I think it was Paleosister, she talked about the argument I was paraphrasing before.

It's a concept I don't understand particularly well, so sorry if I explained poorly. I'm more or less as confused as you are.

My guess, based on how you explained it, is that veganism "attacks the body" because women go towards it as a way to break out of the patriarchy but end up feeling tied to it; if they return to being omnivores, which these people believe they will eventually do, then this vegan-feminism says they have failed and are subjecting themselves to patriarchy by eating meat. So I guess her point is that it's ok to be an omnivorous feminist, and to disagree with that vegan-feminist view? Don't quote me on it, though.

IIRC, Voracious Vegan has posted a few times about fat/size acceptance, which is a movement I'm really interested in. One of the tenets of fat acceptance is to listen to your body and give it the foods that make it feel good, rather than choosing foods based on whether or not they're "healthy" or "low-fat" or whatever. I think what VV is saying is that, if she is told she "can't" have non-vegan foods because they're bad for animals and the environment etc., that's just as misogynist as telling her that she "can't" have chocolate cake (or whatever) because it'll make her fat.

As a feminist, a fat acceptance ally, and a vegan, I think that argument is totally bogus. The pressures on women to stay slim are pretty clearly different from the pressures on a vegan to stay vegan (as if those pressures even exist - the pressures, I'd say, are almost always in the opposite direction). Choosing to abstain from certain foods out of compassion, logic, and rationality is not like choosing to abstain from certain foods out of a fear of fat, and the differences are so obvious that I'm not going to bother listing them.

To be honest, I think that VV knows she's completely full of ****, and it drives me bonkers to see all those comments calling her "so brave" just for going back to doing something that 99% of the population does. I mean, wow, eating bacon, what a rebel.
#135 Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

So what are you saying, that I should just completely halt production on my upcoming $15,200,000 budget documentary That Voracious Ex-vegan and Her Bull**** Arguments, after all this trouble of finding the production company and the interviewees etc.? Nice.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#136 Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

I just read some parts near the end of that way overlong blog entry and got to all the stuff about "cycle of life and death". Holy ****, when she needed to rationalize her current choice as the best one, she really went all the way

I think I read she was a Ph.d. student in sociology or some such? I think it just goes with the territory that her writings need to be of a certain length.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#137 Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think I read she was a Ph.d. student in sociology or some such?

I read that she was a very dedicated sociology student who used to post stuff in her blog about how important sociology is, but then she developed this really bad headache, and with the help of a doctor who was educated via a two-week correspondence course, she discovered that studying sociology caused all the headaches, so then she quit that **** and posted a long blog entry about why sociology is one of the worst scientific fields ever founded, and how all its methods are intellectually bankrupt and all its results empirically and theoretically questionable.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#138 Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So what are you saying, that I should just completely halt production on my upcoming $15,200,000 budget documentary That Voracious Ex-vegan and Her Bull**** Arguments, after all this trouble of finding the production company and the interviewees etc.? Nice.

I think you just need a better title. Also, more industry lingo - you didn't say "game-changer" even once.
#139 Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

I mean, wow, eating bacon, what a rebel.

Raskolnikova likes this.

#140 Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually just had a friend of mine try to "use this against me" about an hour ago...like an "aha" thing. I promptly referred her to Ginny's counter argument and I reminded her of Vegan Outreach's philosophy of harm reduction, and that it's not my intention that every single person in the world become vegan.
Raskolnikova likes this.

Tam! RUGH!
#141 Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 AM

I think that story was crap and paid for by some meat industry group, to stop the advance of veganism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I'm not completely against the idea that not everyone can be vegan, but that whole blog read like a piece of fiction, and bad fiction at that. I would tend towards the idea that she is working for the meat industry, in a long term undercover capacity...oh, she got emails from vegan bloggers saying they ate fish did she? there goes our big secret!

and the comments read like fiction, even the anti-ones did.

EXACTLY **continues reading comments**

ETA - I *AM* iron anemic and have B12 deficiency and it is not causing me to need meat. My iron and sublingual B-12 supplements are fine.
#142 Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out this hilarious refute: An Omnivore No More

Tam! RUGH!
#143 Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

^ Good one!
#144 Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Awesome
#145 Old 11-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Love it! Shared it on my FB too.

~kathy
#146 Old 11-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd read a patch that said "Never trust an ex-vegan", but I always thought that was extreme! Who could possibly know about all the torture, be passionate enough to change their diet, and then one day decide they didn't care...at all!

From what I know she has dogs and a cat....how could she look into their faces and think...Mmmm, the things I could cook with your flesh!

btw, she has good links at the end of her blog - one of them being IS's link (which needs to mentioned again and again:
http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do-ex-vegans%E2%80%99-stories-make-the-case-against-vegan-diets.html )

Lastly, her doctor told her to eat eggs - so how did she hear bacon?
Her hearing needs to be checked!
#147 Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

"I also recognize that the massive production of grain is what led to the creation of factory farms in the first place"

Oh dear.....

I am also finding her drivel about ëating locally is the only way we will survive while eating SALMON! I'm sorry but where does one get Salmon ins Saudi?? LOL! Mmmmm dessert Salmon!

I am all for supporting local commerce but that does not mean I think imports are all bad for you! if this were the case we would not have half the fruits and veggies we do. Also, humans, as a species are nomadic always have been, that's how we got to all these places around the world..LOL! Only eating what is locally available is not going to work for the masses. (god help us in winter..LOL )

Sadly, I know people are going to qoute this BS as if it holds any vaildity. My husband was vegan for 6 months and decided he wasn't ready yet. He didn't then need to trash talk veganism in order to make that decision. He did what he needed to do for him at that point of time without telling people who were remaining vegan (mainly me..lol) that we are wrong.

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#148 Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

One of my friends who has been seriously considering going vegetarian just posted this on Facebook with this comment:

Quote:
This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Veganism does not work for everyone, and NOBODY should have to sacrifice their own health (and lie about it) for an ideal that saves no more animals, and in fact does LESS to heal the earth than a carnivorous diet does.
I'm definitely re-thinking a lot of things ...after reading this.

And now it's looking like she's leaning towards not going vegetarian, largely because of this girls blog. Argh!

I linked her to that fantastic response Indian Summer posted and she said she liked it and was still thinking things over but it looks like some real damage has been done. It's so frustrating how quickly people latch onto things like this and use it as an excuse to not change their habits.

#149 Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Its kind of sad to see other blogs (just as ridiculous as this girl's) pop up in addition.

This one is crazy.

http://mstriz.net/2010/11/25/eat-som...-good-for-you/

"Veganism requires the consumption of a variety of foods, some of them exotic and imported."

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#150 Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNV View Post

Its kind of sad to see other blogs (just as ridiculous as this girl's) pop up in addition.

This one is crazy.

http://mstriz.net/2010/11/25/eat-som...-good-for-you/

"Veganism requires the consumption of a variety of foods, some of them exotic and imported."

Yeah I know..those turnip greens I ate today are from a guy who lives three whole houses down the street.

Tam! RUGH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page