Girl quits vegan because of health issues advised by doctor? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#91 Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

What a pile from a self absorbed, self promoting drama queen. I couldn't even make it through...if I had to read about her streaming tears down her face one more time, oi.

Sounded more like she has an eating disorder rather than health issues from veganism.

I agree with Irizary (as usual). She seems to be lacking in personality and is easily swayed from one side to the other about things. So she admits to being an annoying preachy vegan but then does the same thing as an anti-vegan? When exactly, is she not annoying?

Even more difficult to believe is that her blog has so many followers *yawn*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a bit odd that the majority of the people commenting on her blog are meat eaters, maybe that is just on that post though. Why would meat eaters be reading a blog about being vegan unless they want to become vegan? That doesn't seem to be the case. :/

Hahaha, just noticed this. Posted on October 24th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Blog View Post

Today is my second day exploring world hunger as part of Conducive Chronicle’s 21 Days for Hunger. Last May, when I did my first world hunger series, I mimicked the diet of the world’s hungriest people for the entire seven days of my journey. I tried, in my own small way, to get a glimpse into chronic hunger. While I found that 1,000 calories a day left me weak and exhausted and overwhelmingly hungry, it soon became abundantly clear that my experiment would never give me the insight that I was hoping for.

Not only does this make her seem like a capricious drama queen, but seems to roughly coincide with when she decided to give up because she was feeling unhealthy.
#93 Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Ohhhhh boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Ira
Banned

Oh great. The only vegan friend i have now posted this on facebook. and one meat eater is already all excited about the fact that someone is "quiting a cult". People like her are the ones who ruin it all for us, first by being a preachy vegan and then becoming a strong anti vegan.
#95 Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to contact her, but I saw on her blog today that she disabled comments and contacting her through teh blog, and is now claiming that "vegans" contacted her and threatened her life and that of her family. I find that hard to believe, but we can't find out one way or another because the posts aren't there. I wouldn't take her word for anything, considering she says she felt healthy one week, and the next she couldn't survive on her version of a plant-based diet and must eat pigs, cows, turkeys, chickens, etc.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#96 Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

She comes across as a bit of an anxious drama queen so I'd say apart from the low b12, I think her health problems and "supplement sickness" were mostly psychosomatic.
Raskolnikova likes this.

m8itcanw8.com
#97 Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Ex-*****

I recommend everyone to read this very interesting response on theveganrd:
Quote:
When I read the recent blog post by Tasha, who used to be The Voracious Vegan, it felt like déjÃ* vu all over again. Just a few months ago I was blogging about another womanÂLierre KeithÂwhose vegan diet made her so sick that she had to go back to eating meat and, in the process, she learned about how Ânutritious cholesterol is, became an advocate for a type of sustainability that depends upon animal foods (ie, learned that itÂs more ethical to eat animals than to be vegan), and realized that in the final analysis, Âlife requires death.Â

There is so much that is eerily parallel in these storiesÂnot just the vague descriptions of the health-related experiences but also the evolving philosophy regarding food justice, and some very, very similar language. [...]

Read the full entry here: Do Ex-Vegans Stories Make the Case Against Vegan Diets?

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#98 Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Great article, thanks SuperKarl.
#99 Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

She has a response to some of what was posted on her blog (similar to comments posted here):

http://voraciouseats.com/2010/11/22/...or-talks-back/

Some of her responses are kind of funny in a sad way, in that she's not really addressing the question.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I recommend everyone to read this very interesting response on theveganrd:

Read the full entry here: Do Ex-Vegans’ Stories Make the Case Against Vegan Diets?

I liked that response, and I really like the closing remarks:
Quote:
But yes—some people do get sick from their vegan diet. And in some ways, the vegan community—or at least segments of it—are largely at fault for this. People like Lierre Keith do tremendous damage to the cause of animal rights because their stories appeal to others who are not thriving on a vegan diet. Some people are just bouncing around from one dietary philosophy to another, of course, and are especially susceptible to those stories. But others would stick with their vegan diet if they had the right information. That means that vegan activists need to do much more to make sure that good vegan information is available. And that is a segue to another post for later this week.

Raskolnikova likes this.

I believe everything.
#100 Old 11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh well. I guess the thing that gives me hope is that people who write stuff like that woman's awful blog will not win at the end of the day. I believe that most people are animal lovers in the making and just need to be woken, gently. It makes me sad that she has taken this stance, and I cannot understand it at all. But people eventually will learn the truth.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#101 Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

The link that just got posted twice a few posts above is worth reading, but it's kind of sad this story got over 7000 "likes" on Facebook when the most popular vegan.com entries usually get about 200.

Tam! RUGH!
#102 Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

UPDATE:

In her most recent tweet she reveals that the nutritionist she got all that advice from was actually the ghost of Weston A. Price who she was able to conjure during a particularly intense spiritist session. I guess that settles it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#103 Old 11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do ex-vegans so love to become meat missionairies stumping for the meat messiah?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#104 Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always been more interested in what the ghost of Tom Joad had to say.

Tam! RUGH!
#105 Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Ugh, people are starting to post this on my facebook now. That's not a good sign...
#106 Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabear1 View Post

Ugh, people are starting to post this on my facebook now. That's not a good sign...

Just reply with the link Karl gave: http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/do...gan-diets.html
#107 Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Just seeing this now. Very interesting/crazy. I read most of her original post and I must have rolled my eyes fifty times. I think my favorite part of the whole thing is when she says that factory farms happened because of large amount of grain production. Yeah...that's definitely the reason they came about, all that pesky grain production. Runner up is the talk of wholesome saturated fats. Yum.

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#108 Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

In all seriousness though:
Cardiovascular diseases

In 2010, a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies including 348,000 subjects found no statistically significant relationship between cardiovascular disease and dietary saturated fat.[8][9] However, the authors noted that randomized controlled clinical trials in which saturated fat was replaced with polyunsaturated fat observed a reduction in heart disease, and that the ratio between polyunsaturated fat and saturated fat may be a key factor.[8] In 2009, a systematic review of prospective cohort studies or randomized trials concluded that there was "insufficient evidence of association" between intake of saturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease, and pointed to strong evidence for protective factors such as vegetables and a Mediterranean diet and harmful factors such as trans fats and foods with a high glycemic index.[10]. Pacific island populations who obtain 30-60% of their total caloric intake from fully saturated coconut fat have low rates of cardiovascular disease.[11]
An evaluation of data from Harvard Nurses' Health Study found that "diets lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein and fat are not associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease in women. When vegetable sources of fat and protein are chosen, these diets may moderately reduce the risk of coronary heart disease."[12]
Mayo Clinic highlighted oils that are high in saturated fats include coconut, palm oil and palm kernel oil. Those of lower amounts of saturated fats, and higher levels of unsaturated (preferably monounsaturated) fats like olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, safflower, corn, sunflower, soy and cottonseed oils are generally healthier.[13] However, high intake of saturated dairy fat does not appear to increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.[14]

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#109 Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

No I do not. Any doctor who says this:

"After all, every human is biologically and physiologically different, she explained."

is an idiot.

I have to agree with this. We're the same species, after all. HOWEVER. There's a lot we don't know about nutrition and the human body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Jazz View Post

That was a long post and I didn't read it...but exactly what was the magic ingredient in meat that supposedly made her feel better?

There were a lot of things thrown around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

She didn't mention anything about trying to eat limited amounts or only eating dairy or only eating eggs or finding the most humanely raised animal products she could or any of the other things you would expect someone who really cares about animals to do in that situation.

She said, and has said in the past, that she sees eggs and dairy on the same level as meat, so that point is moot. She also said she is choosing locally raised products, presumably for both their environmental impact and for ethical concerns.

Quote:
All I know is my health has improved dramatically since going vegan. My skin cleared up, my energy levels improved, I lost weight, in general I'm feeling much more healthy and chipper than I ever was when I felt dull and heavy from too much animal grease. Are human physiologies really so different?

That's great, and going vegan helped me, too. But we don't know everything about the human body. Who are we to say that she doesn't feel better?

Quote:
Also what was with the ranting about feminism and mysoginists forcing her to be vegan? That was a strange disturbing read...

It was kind of ridiculous, but I see the point, kind of. A lot of vocal feminists say that eating meat is being subservient to men in some way, so being vegan helps solve that. Therefore going back to meat would be a reversal of some sort. I don't know a lot about this theory, though. I have a book on it but I haven't read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Jazz View Post

Why couldn't she get that from dairy/supplements/SOMETHING other than meat? No doctor on earth could persuade me to bite into a piece of flesh again...and if it were really a very dire situation, I would only be able to do it in very small baby steps. I could not just go and start chomping on fish.

People are able to deal with changes in different ways, so maybe she could start eating it quickly. And she said clearly that meat, dairy, and eggs are on the same level for her, negating any reason to choose one over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

As most of us know B12 is the only thing you can't get from animal products... but taking a tablet is just as good as eating food with B12. If you can't absorb it from a tablet why could you absorb it from animal products?

Actually, I've heard many times that a supplement isn't as good as the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Also, I notice that ALL of the comments are positive and congratulate her on her "bravery". Moderated for sure.

Of course they're moderated! It's not public property. I wouldn't want my blog covered in attacks, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I for sure do not agree with her or her doctor.
Sounds like she just had an iron deficiency, which can simply be the result of absorption issues. She only tried to take one kind of supplement and did not describe trying to modify her vegan diet to include more iron and increase absorption.

We don't know if she modified her foods, but she DID try more than one supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

"along with the nutritious cholesterol and wholesome saturated fat, will restore my health"

i'm sorry...what?!

Well, I dunno about that, but I DO know at my last blood test, the doctors were nervous about my low levels of cholesterol and lipids. They were worried it would cause me a problem. I'm not a doctor and the explanation was in Japanese so I have no idea... but apparently it IS a concern.

Just sayin'.
#110 Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It just makes me sad.
#111 Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

She also said she is choosing locally raised products, presumably for both their environmental impact and for ethical concerns.

In her newest post that's fading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogger View Post

I can try my best to eat local and organic, but I’m not going to stop myself from buying imported, non-organic food if I want it. My decisions on what to buy at the store are not going to transform the world. Like I said: consumer activism is not the answer. With my new diet I will make sure I’m happy and healthy but I’m never going to strive for perfection. I know it can’t be done, at least not at this time and in this place, and that’s okay. Right now all I want to do is love myself and enjoy my food.

But Lierre Kieth eats factory farmed products too, so what the hell.

Quote:
(re. feminism and eating meat) It was kind of ridiculous, but I see the point, kind of. A lot of vocal feminists say that eating meat is being subservient to men in some way, so being vegan helps solve that. Therefore going back to meat would be a reversal of some sort. I don't know a lot about this theory, though. I have a book on it but I haven't read it.

This makes no sense. So killing animals is a feminist statement now? How about if I own some slaves as a "reversal" against the patriarchy?

Quote:
Actually, I've heard many times that a supplement isn't as good as the real thing.

Please provide some decent source that B-12 from animals (most of whom had supplemented feed) is better than B-12 from supplementation.

Quote:
Of course they're moderated! It's not public property. I wouldn't want my blog covered in attacks, either.

She is tweeting
Quote:
“Bacon, bacon, bacon…how did I ever live without you for so long?” and “Lunch – bacon egg cheese and jalapeno quesadilla. I'm so happy to be eating food that I love.”

to her followers - most of whom probably followed her tweets because she presented herself as a vegan blogger. The drama queen can have a little humility and sensitivity. Of course people who give a **** about animals are going to be irritated with her.

Quote:
We don't know if she modified her foods, but she DID try more than one supplement.

The iron issue? There are more than 2 forms of supplemental iron, and ways to get it from veg foods too (as well as cast iron) as the link Karl posted explains.

Those looking to find reasons to dump some ethics (unless they're veg for health) might more honestly refrain from all the excuses about feminism, ecology (what she presents is full of holes), suppositions about nutrition that they "heard somewhere" and just own up to boredom, laziness, lack of caring, taste preference, not wanting to try something different (which - that's o.k., but giving up after 2 iron supplements or whatever is not trying very hard)... No need to make a whole diatribe against animals and a way of life that shows compassion for them, as a rationale for making different choices. If in some alternate universe I felt I "had to" eat meat for some reason I wouldn't be saying the flippant and assholish things she's saying about bacon and such, and trying to get other people to join me in it. It would make me feel sad to take a life, even if I decided that I "needed" to do it. I'd still be trying to encourage others to not take these lives whenever and wherever possible for them. “Bacon, bacon, bacon…how did I ever live without you for so long?” I mean jesus christ, that's not about conscientious omnivorism. She's into taste preference, rationalizing, getting others to join her in it, and from the "moaning pleasure" stuff it kinda sounds like she's doing something else with the meat too.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#112 Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

i didn't read all 6 pages of replies. sorry.
i didn't read much of her original post but i read a bit of her post where she's answering to people's reactions. she presented a pretty good case until she said
Quote:
If you want to judge me for being an evil omnivore, that’s okay, I would have done the same thing just a year ago. But I’d like to remind you that the food you eat kills lots of animals, too. It might kill fewer animals than someone else’s diet, but veganism doesn’t guarantee that. And no, your intentions definitely don’t matter to the dead animal. They don’t care if they die getting run over by the tractor that grows the wheat to make your vegan snack, or if they die getting slaughtered to make my burger. Every time you choose to over eat, or eat food that you don’t really need, you are intentionally participating in the death of an animal. Which is definitely not vegan

mostly the intentional participation bit. we've all heard the 'you swallow x number of insects while you sleep' thing. does that mean if we chose to sleep we're intentionally killing animals? no. when we're driving and an animal runs out in front of you, does that mean driving is intentionally killing animals? no, not if we try to minimize it. (i'm the person who, when seeing a dead opossum, will stop to check the pouch for babies).
#113 Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

(i'm the person who, when seeing a dead opossum, will stop to check the pouch for babies).

oh my. I can't imagine doing that. Kudos.
#114 Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Who are we to say that she doesn't feel better?

I won't claim that she doesn't feel better. If she feels angels tickling her into a state of euphoria from eating some meat, then she does. It's just that -- as the link IS provided talks about -- her feelings need not reflect any real effects on her body.

Quote:
It was kind of ridiculous, but I see the point, kind of.

If you see the point of thinking that not eating meat is based on misogyny, what is that point?

Quote:
Well, I dunno about that, but I DO know at my last blood test, the doctors were nervous about my low levels of cholesterol and lipids. They were worried it would cause me a problem. I'm not a doctor and the explanation was in Japanese so I have no idea... but apparently it IS a concern.

Did one of your doctors happen to look like this by any means?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#115 Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

This makes no sense. So killing animals is a feminist statement now? How about if I own some slaves as a "reversal" against the patriarchy?

I didn't say it made sense, only that I can kind of see where she's coming from. I don't understand it particularly well, nor do I claim to believe it, but what I've read on other blogs on the topic can be summed up as: some feminists say women who eat meat aren't feminists, because they are contributing to oppression of food-animals, which is similar to oppression of women by men. Therefore, eating meat is contributing to patriarchy. So, in this blogger's way of thinking, if she stops being vegan she'll be attacked for supporting patriarchy, which she thinks is unfair.

Not saying I agree, just that this is what I understand of the subject.

Quote:
Please provide some decent source that B-12 from animals (most of whom had supplemented feed) is better than B-12 from supplementation.

I wasn't talking about B12 specifically, I was talking about vitamin supplementation in general, nor do I have a source. I said "I heard," meaning I have heard, through the news, through health classes at school, through the nutritionist at my old gym, etc, that our bodies don't absorb vitamins and minerals as well in isolation (supplement) as they do in whole foods, and are therefore not as good. I assume most people, at least in North America, have heard similar things; I don't know about in other countries.

I don't have any sources to prove this, which is why I didn't intend to state that as fact. Sorry if you took it that way. On the other hand, while searching around, I also didn't find any sources proving that supplements are as well absorbed as vitamins in whole foods - I found lots of things telling you how to increase your absorption of the supplements you take, which, to me, is a hint that they are not always 100% absorbed (though I suppose they're not in food, either).

Quote:
She is tweeting to her followers - [“Bacon, bacon, bacon…how did I ever live without you for so long?” and “Lunch – bacon egg cheese and jalapeno quesadilla. I'm so happy to be eating food that I love.”] most of whom probably followed her tweets because she presented herself as a vegan blogger. The drama queen can have a little humility and sensitivity. Of course people who give a **** about animals are going to be irritated with her.

Ok, I hadn't seen that. That's pretty insensitive.

Quote:
The iron issue? There are more than 2 forms of supplemental iron, and ways to get it from veg foods too (as well as cast iron) as the link Karl posted explains.

Entirely true. However we don't know if she tried to get more of it from foods, nor how much she was eating of it in the first place. She might've tried that without success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I won't claim that she doesn't feel better. If she feels angels tickling her into a state of euphoria from eating some meat, then she does. It's just that -- as the link IS provided talks about -- her feelings need not reflect any real effects on her body.

True. We have no idea if they're from an effect on her body or her mind, though she did state her blood tests changed. I haven't read IS' link yet. But someone brought up earlier that this could be linked to her depression. If eating animal products helps her deal with depression, simply saying "too bad, get over it" is not a solution. Just because a physical reaction (illness) is caused by a mental state (depression) doesn't mean it should be discounted. The physical reaction still needs to be dealt with if the mental issue can't be, or if dealing with it hasn't solved the problem.

Quote:
If you see the point of thinking that not eating meat is based on misogyny, what is that point?

See above. Not a very good explanation, but the best I can do.

Quote:
Did one of your doctors happen to look like this by any means?

...should I know who that is?

I didn't say I AGREED with the doctor, just that he said that. I don't know enough about cholesterol's and saturated fat's affects on the body to know; I only have the knowledge most Americans have, which is quite limited. That part of her article creeped me out, too, but I'm not a nutritionist so I can't really comment on its validity, nor that of what my doctor said. The only advice I understood, after I refused to eat animal products to up my cholesterol, was to eat more fat in general.
#116 Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I didn't say it made sense, only that I can kind of see where she's coming from. I don't understand it particularly well, nor do I claim to believe it, but what I've read on other blogs on the topic can be summed up as: some feminists say women who eat meat aren't feminists, because they are contributing to oppression of food-animals, which is similar to oppression of women by men. Therefore, eating meat is contributing to patriarchy. So, in this blogger's way of thinking, if she stops being vegan she'll be attacked for supporting patriarchy, which she thinks is unfair.

I think I hadn't read what you were saying in your post correctly. What the blogger is saying about feminism and meat eating is that patriarchy tries to deny women - and thus being a woman and denying yourself meat is giving in to the patriarchy. She kind of makes the opposite claim to that which you are making. She doesn't address oppression of animals or make any parallels to women's oppression - because she doesn't see animals being used in a utilitarian way for meat as oppression. Her reasoning seems to be that since she claims she NEEDS meat, it can't be wrong, it can't be oppression - in fact it can't even be sad or regrettable to have to take a life. Any politicization about animals and their subjectivity is gone; it's all about her pleasure, wants, and little-questioned perception of need (the nutritionist blogger that IS linked to says in her comments that she contacted ex vegan blogger to see if she could help her find a way nutritionally to remain and thrive as a vegan, and ex vegan refused).

Quote:
Some people even suggested that those of us who couldn’t remain healthy as vegans should willingly sacrifice our health for the cause. As a feminist, this body-hating rhetoric infuriated me. The willing participation in the denial and degradation of my bodily needs smacked of misogyny, patriarchal control and violence against the female body, and everything that I fight against...

I realized that in many ways veganism removes us from our place in the natural scheme of things, denies our necessary participation in the food cycle, and makes the natural world into an alien realm that we can no longer fully understand...

I refuse to play the game that so many women (vegan or not) are forced to play by our violently woman hating society; I will never feel shame or guilt for eating what my body wants and needs to be healthy. I will take joy and shameless, undeniable pleasure in every glorious bite.

Now, many people in the South were fighting to keep the institution of slavery because it was necessary for their well-being to keep slavery. In fact, without slavery many could not keep their plantations going and could not provide for themselves. Same with people who sell their daughters into sexual slavery or put their kids to work in a sweatshop because they don't think they can survive otherwise. Perception of need doesn't make it any less oppression for the victim, doesn't mean one shouldn't strive to free that victim (rather than taking pleasure in the "glory" of the actions that quite literally mean death for the other). She's obliterated the animals from any analysis, except as just some participants in some "cycle" of life, which is in fact a hierarchy with herself at the top. Blogger is an idiot. She might make a better case if the animals she ate were hunted rather than farmed/captive, she were living some kind of indigenous life where the animals had a chance against her too, and she didn't have vegan nutritionists knocking at her door trying to help, among other things. But she's eating quite literally enslaved animals, and she's living very comfortably.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#117 Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think her point was something different, about how some vegan arguments are misogynistic for "attacking the body" or whatever. That's what I find confusing.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about B12 specifically, I was talking about vitamin supplementation in general, nor do I have a source. I said "I heard," meaning I have heard, through the news, through health classes at school, through the nutritionist at my old gym, etc, that our bodies don't absorb vitamins and minerals as well in isolation (supplement) as they do in whole foods, and are therefore not as good. I assume most people, at least in North America, have heard similar things; I don't know about in other countries.

The nutritionist in IS's link makes the very opposite claim.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#118 Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

I believe you might be thinking of a study (or rumors originating from that specific study) that focused on a couple of vitamins, but did not look at B12 and several others, and I don't think minerals were studied either.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#119 Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Clarita, Vegans who don't supplement with B12 are playing a very dangerous game with their health.

Please read this wonderful comprehensive article by Jack Norris: What Every Vegan Should Know About B12

An important highlight:

Quote:
To be truly healthful, a diet must be best not just for individuals in isolation but must allow all six billion people to thrive and achieve a sustainable coexistence with the many other species that form the living earth. From this standpoint the natural adaptation for most (possibly all) humans in the modern world is a vegan diet. There is nothing natural about the abomination of modern factory farming and its attempt to reduce living, feeling beings to machines. In choosing to use fortified foods or B12 supplements, vegans are taking their B12 from the same source as every other animal on the planet micro-organisms without causing suffering to any sentient being or causing environmental damage.
\t Vegans using adequate amounts of fortified foods or B12 supplements are much less likely to suffer from B12 deficiency than the typical meat eater. The Institute of Medicine, in setting the US recommended intakes for B12 makes this very clear. Because 10 to 30 percent of older people may be unable to absorb naturally occurring vitamin B12, it is advisable for those older than 50 years to meet their RDA mainly by consuming foods fortified with vitamin B12 or a vitamin B12-containing supplement. Vegans should take this advice about 50 years younger, to the benefit of both themselves and the animals. B12 need never be a problem for well-informed vegans.
\t Good information supports vegan health, pass it around.

Tam! RUGH!
#120 Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Taken from a post on her blog two months ago:

http://thevoraciousvegan.com/2010/09...to-the-rescue/

She doesnt seem here to be suffering from any of the symptoms she described in her latest post. I know that she sould easily have not mentioned being ill, but shes gone out of her way here to describe how active she is.

not to mention the fact that of course if all you eat for weeks in quinoa you're going to be unhealthy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page