Girl quits vegan because of health issues advised by doctor? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#61 Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM

it seems a bit strange the way she keeps on using the term 'flesh', if she's giving up on veganism.

If the blog is real, I would be inclined to say, judging by her apparent joy at returning to eat meat, that she might have subconsciously sabotaged her attempt at veganism in order to have a reason to go back to meat.. And maybe all her apparent symptoms were psychosomatic, but as someone said earlier, she might have issues absorbing B12 regardless of her diet.
Raskolnikova likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Reading her blog, I am quite troubled by some of the things she is saying. She is completely dissing vegetarianism and veganism. Moreover, she could have got the nutrients to make herself feel better through organic milk, and free range eggs and if veganism disagreed with her so much. She obviously never believed that cruelty to animals is a problem in the first place, to take such a stance. I hope no omnis read it and believe her. Ugh. The stupid statements about feminism, and thinking it is "no longer wrong to kill animals." If I were to be unable to eat vege or vegan I would be upset and I would still feel that eating meat is wrong. I just dont understand her viewpoint, sorry.

edited last sentence i wrote as it is not a nice thing to say. But, grrrrrrrrr.
#63 Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't read all the comments here and I couldn't read all her post ( I really did try) I got stuck with the comment about if we don't eat animals there is no blood and bone or fertiliser to go back into the soil. Last time I checked, everybody ****s. Animal manure is not the only way to fertilise your garden.

If someone wants to go eat animals after a vegan stint, just do it and admit they were "wrong".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 PM

The whole thing just sounds bizarre. I've haven't read the article (otherwise I'd rage) but from the excerpts I've read, it sounds so cheesy and over-the-top. Orgasming while eating animal flesh? Uhh...I think most vegans on this board would be feeling pretty upset and guilty if they ate meat, not jizzing in their pants. Like what somebody's written before, she could've just gone vegetarian for a while, or have taken supplements.

She's either a very successful troll who was 'posing' as a vegan blogger for most of the time for s***ts and giggles, or she was vegan in the past but has gone omni and has only mentioned it now, trying to justify her choices. I find it weird, but eh...I never knew or followed blog, so its not my loss.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#65 Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I was nervous when I clicked the link because I used to read a blog with a similar name, but I think it was "vivacious vegan," not voracious, and -- hey -- look, the vivacious one still exists and didn't succumb to the meat: http://www.thatveganblog.com/

I couldn't read the whole post, but I just read the first few paragraphs to get the jist of it. The whole choosing to harm animals now thing isn't funny, but I find it humorous that she uses a couple raw foodists as examples that they aren't vegan anymore.....there's a fad/marketing going on in the "raw food movement" where people selling products are encouraging animal product use, including deer antlers (?); and in addition, instead of eating plants (ya know, like an apple you could grab from a tree), it's "necessary" that you must buy an $18 package of cacao powder, eat 1/2 jar of cold-pressed coconut oil per day, some maca to balance your hormones, and a $5 bottle of raw water. So I wouldn't really take advice from someone who is so starved of nutrition from fruits & vegetables that their body sends such strong hunger signals that they eat 2,000 calories of a processed, bottled item that's been sitting on a shelf for 2 years.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't consider myself at the top of the "food chain" considering how many animals could kill and eat me easily in their habitat (and human overpopulation and their destruction being one of the reasons sadly why I don't encounter said animals).

Anyhow, just as there are omnivores who go vegan, there will be vegans who go omni and post idiotic memos to the world about it. I can attest as a vegan that I surely have orgasms without biting into a cow's ass.
#66 Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if this blog is real? I just did a who is on the domain. It is owned by John Young who also runs the website http://www.shoutitoutdesign.com/. It seems that his family owns a dairy farm. The link for the farm's website is here: http://youngsdairy.com/. I guess that could just be a coincidence though.
#67 Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

Does anyone know if this blog is real? I just did a who is on the domain. It is owned by John Young who also runs the website http://www.shoutitoutdesign.com/. It seems that his family owns a dairy farm. The link for the farm's website is here: http://youngsdairy.com/. I guess that could just be a coincidence though.

For an omni plant, it seems she's gone through quite the trouble to post all those vegan recipes etc.
Raskolnikova likes this.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#68 Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it could just be a coincidence. It's weird that she doesn't own the domain though. :/
#69 Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Robo, do you know how to get info deleted from that site (Who is)? I just searched for my site and my home address came up along with my full name and home number!
#70 Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Im sorry to pop your detective bubble, but he designed and hosts the website. Its at the bottom of each web page.

edit: Danaskully, I think you have to contact your hosting company.
#71 Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Im sorry to pop your detective bubble, but he designed and hosts the website. Its at the bottom of each web page.

edit: Danaskully, I think you have to contact your hosting company.

I contacted the company just now, I'll e-mail the hosting company too. Thanks!
#72 Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Robo, do you know how to get info deleted from that site (Who is)? I just searched for my site and my home address came up along with my full name and home number!

Yeah...it will depend on who you bought your domain name from.
#73 Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Eugh, her Twitter page is full of comments like "mmm, bacon, how did I live without you for so long?" I can respect her for going back to eating a little meat for health resons but she seems to be enjoying it way too much, which makes me suspicious.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#74 Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I read most of the article but skimmed through some. I know she says she was annoyed at people saying she wasn't "Doing veganism right" but honestly she must have not been doing it right, or already have physical issues like anemia or something. I know there are a few people out there who can't healthfully be vegan so I wonder why the heck did she go straight to omni?! Why not just go back to vegetarianism? Or experiment by eating a few eggs here and there, or switching up her diet? And how can she go from years of being a hardcore vegan to thinking it's okay to eat animals? I feel bad for her long journey and health problems but I'm baffled that after all that struggle and sadness of the doctor telling her to not be vegan that she can now happily eat meat and think it's okay. That's a really big jump.
Raskolnikova likes this.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#75 Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I've met a few people like this. One was a vegetarian for several years and vegan for a few months and became anemic. She went back to eating meat because she, "needed the heme iron in meat."

The other said she got sick and described symptoms that sounded like a B12 deficiency. I asked her if she ever took a B12 supplement and she said she didn't because, "it's unnatural."
Raskolnikova likes this.
#76 Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe her main motivation for becoming vegan is weight loss. She wanted to maintain a trim figure. Why else would someone do high intensity workouts? Im just sorry that she disguised her veganism as something it wasnt. I dont mind people being honest about their reasons for doing things, but it seems as if she claimed to be an animal activist.

She starts her blog by saying that a doctor's visit told her that she needed to eat meat, and it looked as if it was a recent thing. Then she goes on to say that she has been looking for research in favour of eating meat for months, this seemingly predates her doctor's visit, and she was probably doing the high intensity workouts too, which probably made her "sick" if anything. Gah.
#77 Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 AM

I didn't read the article but from what I can tell its just a large amount of stupidity.
#78 Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

"along with the nutritious cholesterol and wholesome saturated fat, will restore my health"

i'm sorry...what?!
#79 Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

"along with the nutritious cholesterol and wholesome saturated fat, will restore my health"

i'm sorry...what?!

I missed that one. I smell the Weston Price Foundation in the air.
#80 Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgarden View Post

i'm sorry...what?!

I was wondering the cholesterol bit when I read it. I thought cholesterol was bad?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#81 Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I was wondering the cholesterol bit when I read it. I thought cholesterol was bad?

Your body creates cholesterol, too much is very bad. It seems like Saturated fat is even worse as it increases your LDL and lowers your HDL (if I'm remembering right).
#82 Old 11-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Your body creates cholesterol, too much is very bad. It seems like Saturated fat is even worse as it increases your LDL and lowers your HDL (if I'm remembering right).

LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) = "bad" cholesterol; HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) = "good" one. Saturated fat can make cholesterol levels more harmful/increase risk of cardiovascular diseases, tho genetics also plays a huge role in cholesterol levels. Also, vegan diets provide saturated fats so she can but the kabosh on that argument!

I think the person who wrote that highly insightful blog post 'secretly' wanted a reason to start eating disgusting foods again.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#83 Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) = "bad" cholesterol; HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) = "good" one. Saturated fat can make cholesterol levels more harmful/increase risk of cardiovascular diseases, tho genetics also plays a huge role in cholesterol levels. Also, vegan diets provide saturated fats so she can but the kabosh on that argument!

I think the person who wrote that highly insightful blog post 'secretly' wanted a reason to start eating disgusting foods again.

The healthy saturated fats are actually plant based. More recent studies show that the high levels of saturated fat in coconut (milk and flesh) doesn't raise "bad" cholesterol, but animal fats do.

For those who can't remember which cholesterols are which, think HDL is Happy while LDL is Lame.
#84 Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I believe her main motivation for becoming vegan is weight loss. She wanted to maintain a trim figure. Why else would someone do high intensity workouts?

Uhm....I don't know if your post was serious or not, but people do high intensity workouts for many reasons....I definitely don't want to lose weight and I do them. I don't care how much I weigh. Just so you know....in the future, when you talk to other people/make assumptions re: reasonings.
#85 Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM

this is why i very rarely read vegan blogs.
#86 Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

this is why i very rarely read vegan blogs.

I actually just recently read TWO other vegan blogs where the person went back to omni. Although on one of them she still refers to herself as vegan but says she doesn't conform to labels and eats fish ocassionally. Agh.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#87 Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

I actually just recently read TWO other vegan blogs where the person went back to omni. Although on one of them she still refers to herself as vegan but says she doesn't conform to labels and eats fish ocassionally. Agh.

Ugh! And people wonder what the big deal is about Alicia Silverstone... We really don't need anymore fish eating "vegans".

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#88 Old 11-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Uhm....I don't know if your post was serious or not, but people do high intensity workouts for many reasons....I definitely don't want to lose weight and I do them. I don't care how much I weigh. Just so you know....in the future, when you talk to other people/make assumptions re: reasonings.

Ok. I personally find high intensity workouts quite torturous so i couldnt understand why someone would do them. Anyway sorry for offending you, perhaps you are a lot fitter than me.
#89 Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that her description of eating meat is disgusting. I've eaten some pretty tasty things before, (I've also gorged myself on junk food in the past...something that I felt VERY guilty about.) but I have never cried and shuttered with pleasure or whatever the heck it was she said. I don't care to look at it again.

I feel kind of badly for this person. She sounds like she has problems upstairs.
Raskolnikova likes this.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#90 Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Beginner

The ultra preachy vegangelicals are often the ones who struggle with staying vegan the most. It's how they cope with their lack of self control. The way they preach about veganism isn't so much to convert others as it is a way for them to remind themselves why they're vegan.

When they crack---and "health reasons" is almost always the cop out---they have to justify why. They have to continue their rude and preachy attitude to constantly remind themselves why they're right and why it is okay for them to eat meat, even when deep down inside they still know it is wrong. They have to continue to criticize and attack those who do not share their opinion to battle their own pitiful insecurities.

I don't know if I'll be vegan for the rest of my life. But if I ever do revert, I will never trash vegans or what they're doing, and I won't make up lame excuses for why I don't do it anymore. If someone legitimately no longer wants to be vegan, then fine, whatever, I'm not gonna hate. Just please be respectful to those who wish to stay vegan. I know some ex-veggies who have been nice about it, and understand why I'm doing it, and don't give me a hard time about it or anything. But at least they admit that they just got bored of it, or it was too inconvenient, whatever. Those excuses might seem kind of lame to some of us, but at least they're honest. Of course they weren't the preachy kind of veg*ns to begin with.

And as many others in this thread have said, if you have to revert to omnivore for "health reasons," there is likely no reason you would need to eat meat more than once or twice a week. But do these people who revert do that? No, of course not, because it's just an excuse for them to save face after years of making a big deal of their veg*n diet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page