Girl quits vegan because of health issues advised by doctor? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#31 Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

I for sure do not agree with her or her doctor.
Sounds like she just had an iron deficiency, which can simply be the result of absorption issues. She only tried to take one kind of supplement and did not describe trying to modify her vegan diet to include more iron and increase absorption. Why didn't she try eating vegetarian for a while, why start with steak? dumb!
If this is true at all (i have doubts of course) it seems that her depression is the main reason she had problems, and probably why she gave up on herself and got persuaded by her doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Did you see this yet? Apparently this girl was vegan for 3.5 years and the doctor said she should stop because she's harming herself. What are your thoughts? Apparently she said she did everything right. Do you agree with the doctor?

http://thevoraciousvegan.com/2010/11...vegan-no-more/

Without knowing her specific medical needs I can't say who I agree with.

She could have consulted a registered dietitian like Ginny Messina or Jack Norris who actually specialize in vegan nutrition. The average M.D. knows very little about human nutrition.

Tam! RUGH!
#33 Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

What the? I think anyone who managed to read the article without stopping is brave!
I got as far as her having pleasure from eating meat, and gave up. I cant read this drivel.

really. she INSTANTLY felt better after eating meat?! within that one meal? How is that possible? Meat isnt some kind of drug.

Also the part about loads of "vegan" blog authors actually being omnis in secret... ha ha ha.

I would agree that she seems to just need a reason to give up with veganism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Taken from a post on her blog two months ago:

http://thevoraciousvegan.com/2010/09...to-the-rescue/

Quote:
Lately, I’ve been relying on red quinoa to keep me going through this patch of crazed busyness we’ve been experiencing.I keep a pot of quinoa in the fridge so as I rush in and out the door I’ll always have something healthy and delicious to stuff into my face.
Whether I’m editing, rewriting, and analyzing an ever growing stack of women’s rights papers, spending 4 emotionally wrenching hours at Proof rehearsal, going on a 3 mile hike with my dingo herd, or galivanting through the desert on my awesome horse Ender, with red quinoa I know I’ve always got something delicious to keep me going!

She doesnt seem here to be suffering from any of the symptoms she described in her latest post. I know that she sould easily have not mentioned being ill, but shes gone out of her way here to describe how active she is.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#35 Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I'm not completely against the idea that not everyone can be vegan, but that whole blog read like a piece of fiction, and bad fiction at that. I would tend towards the idea that she is working for the meat industry, in a long term undercover capacity...oh, she got emails from vegan bloggers saying they ate fish did she? there goes our big secret!

and the comments read like fiction, even the anti-ones did.

ETA: and I too gave up when I saw howmuch more there was..it was starting to do my head in.

Im not against the idea of it either. I know of at least one person who could not remain healthy on a vegan diet and is still just as compassionate about the veg*n philosophy.

This chick, needs to get her head out of her ...... In reading the blog (TBH, glancing through and glazing over it couldnt actually read, read it.) it seems more like she took every single fallacy about a plant based diet (low iron, low b12, insufficient protein, low calcium.) and just threw it all together to justify eating meat. Maybe she really wasnt vegan, or even vegetarian and thought it would be cool to write a blog.
Raskolnikova likes this.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#36 Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

She doesnt seem here to be suffering from any of the symptoms she described in her latest post. I know that she sould easily have not mentioned being ill, but shes gone out of her way here to describe how active she is.

She did mention in her blog that she lied about how healthy she was feeling. But then in the entry, she talks about how after eating meat, she could do light cardio for 20 minutes without feeling faint, something she couldn't do previously. Seems like... Well, she either went WAY out of her way to lie about being super active and healthy, or she's lying now about what poor health she was in.

The whole thing seems a little strange. I'm kind of morbidly fascinated with all the supposed vegans, including cookbook writers and prominent bloggers, who came out of the woodwork to tell her they secretly eat animal products to stay healthy. (Maybe she's secretly in touch with Alicia Silverstone.)

I am not a doctor, and even if I was, I'm not HER doctor. So I have no basis to give a medical opinion on whether she is able to get adequate nutrition from a vegan diet. I believe the vast majority of people can, but I'm open to the possibility that there are people who are medically not able to thrive on a vegan diet. Sure, could be! I don't know if she qualifies...
#37 Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

What the? I think anyone who managed to read the article without stopping is brave!
I got as far as her having pleasure from eating meat, and gave up. I cant read this drivel.

really. she INSTANTLY felt better after eating meat?! within that one meal? How is that possible? Meat isnt some kind of drug.

That's the big giveaway. What would cause that INSTANT feeling reveals a mental issue, not a physical issue. The body doesn't work that way for the nutrients she thinks she's getting from the sources she's getting them from.

Quote:
Also the part about loads of "vegan" blog authors actually being omnis in secret... ha ha ha.

I would agree that she seems to just need a reason to give up with veganism

I'm sure there are people who call themselves vegan, who really aren't - you see that on here too. But I'm quite sure there's no big conspiracy among vegans such that all of us are "cheating." She's just connected with a couple liars who have some mental need to give themselves a title for whatever reason.

Since her reveal, which has been linked to other blogs, because 99% of the population has a vested interest in thinking that veganism isn't o.k. (oh, such bravery to give it up and join the vast majority!) her posting seems to be attracting a lot of drama queens:

Quote:
And I worry that feminists, especially, have been horribly weakened and physically damaged by the mandate, fueled by care and compassion, to be vegan.

Um, yeah, about one half of one percent of the population is vegan. From what I've seen most of those don't seem to identify as feminists in any big way. Big worry! I *wish* more feminists felt that they had to be compassionate and give justice to animals as part of the ideology.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#38 Old 11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

I don't know what to think about her. We don't know what she eats. For all we know, she could have been eating nothing but bread (or other low nutrition foods) and her dietary choices caused insufficiencies. I do believe that it is possible that some people may need to eat meat to survive (just like some people die from eating peanuts but others don't - everyone is different). We don't know the whole story. I can't pass judgment on her. At least she gave veganism a try, which is much, much more than most people do.
#39 Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I don't know what to think about her. We don't know what she eats. For all we know, she could have been eating nothing but bread (or other low nutrition foods) and her dietary choices caused insufficiencies. I do believe that it is possible that some people may need to eat meat to survive (just like some people die from eating peanuts but others don't - everyone is different). We don't know the whole story. I can't pass judgment on her. At least she gave veganism a try, which is much, much more than most people do.

I feel free to pass the judgment on her that if she came to the conclusion that she didn't want to be vegan anymore for health reasons, that doesn't mean she has to write a treatise on how veganism must have been horribly unfounded in every way to begin with and how she's now not just healthy but doing the most to help animals and the planet too. Her after-the-fact rationalization is more transparent than my see-through pajamas.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#40 Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
"The doctor, who was kind and very understanding, was surprisingly knowledgeable about vegan diets and had a career long specialization in nutrition (cut)... but that we would be wrong to ignore the small amounts of animal products that many of us so essentially need. Most human bodies run optimally on the occasional animal product. Eggs and bits of meat every so often are small but very important parts of a healthy diet. she said, a look of sorrow on her face. She could see how hard this was for me."

Wow, he really sounds educated on nutrition
#41 Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like she's using extreme and cockeyed excuses to justify her meat eating habits. If she were truly concerned with nutrients, she could have easily gained nutrients some vegans may be deficient in by supplementing her diet or eating more of certain types of foods. She apparently didn't make any serious attempt at all to contact or read the opinions of any registered vegan dietitians, of whom there are several reputable ones. Besides the two I mentioned earlier, Dr. Michael Greger is another excellent and well informed source of nutritional information.

Tam! RUGH!
#42 Old 11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I do believe that it is possible that some people may need to eat meat to survive (just like some people die from eating peanuts but others don't - everyone is different). We don't know the whole story. I can't pass judgment on her. At least she gave veganism a try, which is much, much more than most people do.

Peanut allergies are not an analogy. Please, ***what is the specific substance*** that can only be found in meat, such that some humans can only get it from meat, and vegans are miraculously able to survive without it? Some humans are not a different species of animal.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#43 Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
There is no culture on this planet that has been exclusively Vegan in the history of humankind. Not one. Not even ancient Hindus. It’s been shown that they ate so many insects that were on the vegetables they consumed that protein intake was sufficient for their lifestyle.

^^ Another comment on the blog post, just thought I'd share that piece of brilliance with you all.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#44 Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Im just a new vegetarian, but I read the article, and it looks to me like she probably went vegan because others around her were doing it, not because of her own conviction. Also, I think that the huge health emphasis of her blog indicates that she believed it would improve her health a lot and that was the major motivation.
#45 Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I stopped reading after a few paragraphs, I couldn't read anymore, and all I took from it is "I want to eat meat and I'm going to justify it." Really. I think her doctor is a crock and she's very uneducated. I took college level nutrition classes and I know the amount of bull**** that she spews in the post. The feminist comment was stupid and made her look like a fool.

Quote:
(Immediately after eating meat) Then I noticed something else odd: my heart was beating slowly, steadily. Normally, after a typical meal of veggies, rice and beans, or other starchy fare, my heart would race and skip for an hour or so afterward.

The cardiologist explained that the unnerving post-meal palpitations were a symptom of my deficiencies, as well as a sign of blood sugar instability caused by the massive servings of carbohydrates I was consuming. Now after eating a single piece of steak, my heart thudded on, steady, strong, and slow. It made me cry all over again, this time in joy.

Raskolnikova likes this.
#46 Old 11-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Please, ***what is the specific substance*** that can only be found in meat, such that some humans can only get it from meat, and vegans are miraculously able to survive without it?

From what I can tell (I don't really know **** about nutrition), it's not about some specific ingredient that would be missing but about how well the various ingredients are absorbed.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#47 Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

While I don't really know anything about it, if someone had, say, a large portion of their intestines surgically removed for some reason (disease? tissue death? whatever) or had some condition that made absorption of certain things difficult... I wouldn't jump up and down declaring that of COURSE that person could be vegan and he or she is just OMG DOIN IT WRONG. I don't know. It could happen. I don't know enough about nutrition to be able to explain ALL individual cases of failure to thrive on ANY diet.
#48 Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Everything about this article is suspicious. I can't see anyone writing an entire blog for so long that is totally false, and that has to be the case. In her previous blogs she talked about about working out, feeling healthy and happy. Suddenly she admits it was a lie? I could see lying to friends in an effort to stay vegan, but not writing a blog about it!!
IF she really needed some animal protein, why not some animal protein? Her orgasmic experience eating meat (LOL) is contrary to what anyone who cared about animals would feel. One comment I noticed was "...eating for hours until my stomach was distented just to feel satiated" WTF? Its like everything she says about eating vegan was how I felt eating meat!
All the comments had to be made up. No vegan would take the advice of one docter, and that's appartently all she went with.
Loser.
Raskolnikova likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#49 Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

ADDITIONALLY: Someone should have told her to just eat more chocolate.

I learned the other day that the FDA allows up to 60 insect fragments (and 1 rodent hair) per 100g sample of chocolate. Holy hell.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#50 Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

Boy! The amount of people calling her brave is disconcerting and a bit suspect. I didn't read the article, as I don't feel like going into a blind rage at the moment. I try to avoid negativity, especially diatribes such as hers, but let my curiosity get the better of me for a moment. UGH!!!!
#51 Old 11-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Everything about this article is suspicious. I can't see anyone writing an entire blog for so long that is totally false, and that has to be the case. In her previous blogs she talked about about working out, feeling healthy and happy. Suddenly she admits it was a lie?

"Believe what I say now, because now I'm not lying!!!! I feel just as strongly about this new way of eating and ethics as I did about the old way, and those feelings caused me to lie before, but I'm not going to be lying now, oh no!!!!"

I think that people like her and Lierre Kieth approach these things in a very dramatic, quick, unthoughtful way, and you really can't know when they're lying or stretching the truth or if they even know it because they're trying to fit an agenda. While everyone has a belief system/"agenda" of some kind, the particular way they approach theirs, and the way they flip but use the same overdramatic, hyped up, unthoughtful style for each makes them untrustworthy.

Oh ha - I saw elsewhere on her blog that she was doing the Insanity workout some months back when she was still a dietary vegan - "still going strong with Insanity" - and apparently loving it. I think she's lying NOW to boost her agenda.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#52 Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

If it was all some elaborate hoax to make veganism look bad, wouldn't she have been slipping in "I don't feel so good" references for a long time? To plant the seed of thought that veganism is unhealthy?

It reeks to me of "I'm bored of eating vegan and want to eat meat so let me make up a story to justify it" but I don't see much evidence for the whole blog being set up to make veganism look bad.
#53 Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

If it was all some elaborate hoax to make veganism look bad, wouldn't she have been slipping in "I don't feel so good" references for a long time? To plant the seed of thought that veganism is unhealthy?

It reeks to me of "I'm bored of eating vegan and want to eat meat so let me make up a story to justify it" but I don't see much evidence for the whole blog being set up to make veganism look bad.

That's how I see it too.
#54 Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Ira
Banned

It is sad when doctors say things like that. It gives so many people bad ideas because they think that if a doctor says it, it is true.

I agree with people who say that it seems she just tries to justify eating meat that she missed. Otherwise she would know she can just get b12 suppliments, eat more protein in form of beans and nuts, and even if she would think she needs animal products she would at least go begetarian and try to get farm products instead of going straight to meat. WTF is that?

And people "applauding her for being brave" are just crazy. Whats brave about it. Probably just happy that someone justifies their decision to eat meat
Raskolnikova likes this.
#55 Old 11-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised at how many responses this thread has gotten in like 2 days.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#56 Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I'm surprised at how many responses this thread has gotten in like 2 days.

Me too. That's why I think half of them are her.
#57 Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Her after-the-fact rationalization is more transparent than my see-through pajamas.

#58 Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

As a last resort if I absolutely had to for health reasons I'd give up veganism but I don't' see that ever happening.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#59 Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Lots of people report this feeling of instantaneous vitality, but they fail to realize that meat can act as a drug on some people, giving them an endorphin rush that they mistake for feelings of true health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Peanut allergies are not an analogy. Please, ***what is the specific substance*** that can only be found in meat...

Putrescine and cadaverine.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#60 Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Me too. That's why I think half of them are her.

Me too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page