Guiness not Vegan or even vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi,

Recently been researching on the internet for what is vegan or not vegan, as I wanna make the transition from vegetarian to vegan.

So I decide to type in is guiness vegan. To my suprise it said it isn't nor is it vegetarian. As it said they use a fish by-product called Isinglass.

Been looking further into it, some say Guiness still uses it and some say they discontinued using it.

Anyone no if it is, or not vegan.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

If it has a fish by product in it, like you said. Then it's neither Vegan or Vegetarian.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#3 Old 10-30-2010, 01:58 PM

I've completely stopped drinking it now. I'm just hoping if someone knows if they've stopped using isinglass. Its used to extract excess yeast from the guiness, still don't know why and how they just don't use something else to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Beginner

The only way to know if they still use it or not is to call or email the company.
#5 Old 10-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have HEARD that they don't use it in the U.S. but still use it in the U.K. The only way to verify would be to contact the company, though.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#6 Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Ex-*****

These guys seem to say no it's not suitable:
http://www.barnivore.com/beer/26/Guinness
http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/diageo.htm#3 (UK site)
http://www.enchant.me.uk/Vegetarian_beers.html#Guinness (UK site)

Personally I've never been under the impression it was vegan or vegetarian.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#7 Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I have emailed the company. Just waiting on the response.

#8 Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

It's ok not to drink. If you examine the social pressure, the ad campaigns and the destruction of life associated with alcohol you'll see many parallels with meat culture.

Tam! RUGH!
#9 Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Ha, I never knew this about Guinness. I tried it once when I was a lot younger. My Mum always wanted me to drink it because it is high in iron, but I thought it tasted disgusting so I haven't drunk it since, after reading about this I'm glad now that I never got into it.
#10 Old 10-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

It's ok not to drink. If you examine the social pressure, the ad campaigns and the destruction of life associated with alcohol you'll see many parallels with meat culture.

Drinking does not inherently lead to destruction of life as meat consumption does. Also, this thread is not to debate the merits of drinking; it's to discuss whether or not one particular beer is vegan. Your post is irrelevant.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#11 Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Far be it from me to label something as non-vegan or imply other vegans should live their lives a certain way. We have to make our own decisions. But it does make me sad to see that so many vegans use alco-hell and tobac-kill so often. I'm personally very happy I never got involved with that. I'm a healthier, more vibrant person with more energy and extra money to go out and help animals, and to represent a healthful vegan to smash stereotypes. That means a lot to me. I guess everyone has different goals. Positive Mental Attitude, baby. One life, One chance!

Tam! RUGH!
#12 Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

deleted

#13 Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad I'm only 14 and already have made the decision to never get involved with alcohol at all!

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#14 Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Far be it from me to label something as non-vegan or imply other vegans should live their lives a certain way. We have to make our own decisions. But it does make me sad to see that so many vegans use alco-hell and tobac-kill so often. I'm personally very happy I never got involved with that. I'm a healthier, more vibrant person with more energy and extra money to go out and help animals, and to represent a healthful vegan to smash stereotypes. That means a lot to me. I guess everyone has different goals. Positive Mental Attitude, baby. One life, One chance!

I find that alcohol often helps me keep my positive mental attitude.
Still not relevant, though.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#15 Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately when you chime in on a conversation with your views on something that is nearly 100% irrelevant to the conversation at hand, you do not smash stereotypes. You actually perpetuate the negative stereotype that vegans are militant, preachy, and many times zealots when it comes to forcing their own beliefs upon others. There's a time and place for everything. A conversation about whether a particular type of beer is vegan or not, is not the time nor place to get preachy about the "evils" of drinking.

"Empathy, he once decided, must be limited to herbivores or anyhow omnivores who could depart from a meat diet. Because, ultimately the empathic gift blurred the boundaries between hunter and victim, between the successful and the defeated." - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
#16 Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Yea, when I went vegan I was a little bummed to hear that NewCastle was the same way.
#17 Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea I found out a few months ago I told my omni boyfriend who surprisingly was disgusted too and is with me on drinking vegan beers, Heineken baby
Someone already posted the site I use that shows which alcoholic drinks are vegan or vegetarian.

And the whole alcohol being destructive irrelevant post, it's also wrong to stereotype people who drink as crazy alcoholics, moderation is key, and of course responsible drinking.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#18 Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

To my understanding, it's vegan in the U.K., but not the U.S. There are other good vegan stouts though. Abita Turbodog. Yummm.

Also,

Quote:

Condescending, much? Asking if a drink is vegan ≠ asking why alcohol is bad. It is possible to have a drink without being a debilitated drunk and ruining your life. In fact, it's possible to get retardedly drunk (gasp! just because it's fun) without ruining your life too.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#19 Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganDiet.TV View Post

Yea, when I went vegan I was a little bummed to hear that NewCastle was the same way.

I could swear the bottle or can version used to be vegan, but all the information now says it's not. Ah, the tragedy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

To my understanding, it's vegan in the U.K., but not the U.S. There are other good vegan stouts though.

No, I don't think there is any information suggesting that it's vegan in the UK. (See my previous post.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#20 Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Boo. Guinness is one of my favorite beers.

me too- I'm gonna cry now
#21 Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

In fact, it's possible to get retardedly drunk (gasp! just because it's fun) without ruining your life too.

Quote:
retardedly drunk

Quote:
retarded

Really people!

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#22 Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I find that alcohol often helps me keep my positive mental attitude.
Still not relevant, though.

Cheers to you saxy!

#23 Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

The response email from the company.

Quote:

Thank you for taking time to contact Guinness. Your feedback is important to us.

In regard to your inquiry, please be advised that Guinness does contain Isinglass. While we do not have any measurements for this, almost all of the Isinglass is removed from the product, but we can't guarantee that 100% is removed.

Once again, thank you for contacting Guinness.

Sincerely,

Carol S.
Guinness Consumer Representative

Cheers!

Drinking Responsibly is Brilliant!!

#24 Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm a healthier, more vibrant person with more energy and ...!

Okay, I don't want to be rude to you, but since you posted something in this thread against any alcohol drinking for some reason, aren't you, Healthyvibrant, the same person who must drink fortified soy drinks in order to meet your nutritional requirements because you don't get enough sunlight, sublingual supplementation of b12, and/or fruit & vegetable intake?
#25 Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

I miss Guinness.
#26 Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 AM

I get the impression that beers made in Germany don't use 'isinglass' in their filtration system, so there will still be an outlet for my rare snobby side when I want to partake.

A few times a year, Guiness was a year treat for me as well, I'll still remember it fondly.
#27 Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Riot Nrrrd

A reader of Vegan Ice Cream Paradise asked Guiness and recieved this response:

Quote:
Thank you for taking time to contact Guinness. We appreciate hearing from our consumers because your feedback is important.

In reference to your inquiry, isinglass, a fish product, is used during the clarification process as a magnet to get rid of excess yeast in Guinness Draught. To the strict Vegan, this would be an animal product and unsuitable. However, the same process is not used to produce Guinness extra stout, and this product is considered to be vegan. I hope this helps. Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely
Scott Alcorn
Guinness Consumer Representative

This was in Feb 2008, so may not be current.

And I should really have read all the pages before posting, since there was already a more recent response

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page