Do the cravings go away? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Because seriously it's been 6 months and I still crave cheese like an ex-smoker craves cigarettes. Only cheese. Not meat, not eggs, not other dairy. Just cheese. I went cold turkey after realizing the casein in it can be addictive. Once I realized WHY I was having such a hard time giving it up, plus hating the idea of being addicted to *anything*, I gave it up and didn't look back. So it's 6 months later and anytime I see a pizza ad or smell cheese at the daycare where I work I crave it insanely. I DON'T eat it of course. I don't even bother with cheese subs. I've had daiya a few times, but it doesn't really hit the spot for me. It's ok though.

Is cheese really THAT addictive!? I know all the reasons why I shouldn't eat it. I shouldn't even WANT to eat it. Yet I want it. Bleh. I really thought this would go away. I even dream about it. Not in the meatmare way, but in a mouthwatering good way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Because seriously it's been 6 months and I still crave cheese like an ex-smoker craves cigarettes. Only cheese. Not meat, not eggs, not other dairy. Just cheese. I went cold turkey after realizing the casein in it can be addictive. Once I realized WHY I was having such a hard time giving it up, plus hating the idea of being addicted to *anything*, I gave it up and didn't look back. So it's 6 months later and anytime I see a pizza ad or smell cheese at the daycare where I work I crave it insanely. I DON'T eat it of course. I don't even bother with cheese subs. I've had daiya a few times, but it doesn't really hit the spot for me. It's ok though.

Is cheese really THAT addictive!? I know all the reasons why I shouldn't eat it. I shouldn't even WANT to eat it. Yet I want it. Bleh. I really thought this would go away. I even dream about it. Not in the meatmare way, but in a mouthwatering good way.

Interesting. I haven't been craving meat/seafood/poultry anymore and I became a Vegetarian August 4th, 2010. The cravings went away.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#3 Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Yes, cheese is VERY addicting!
http://www.healthdiaries.com/blogs/v...chocolate.html
Tons more info online about why it is addicting, just google cheese addiction

My best advice is not to get too hungry and always have a veg snack with you in times of temptation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been strong enough to kick the cheese crack habit completely.

Only thing I've ever craved since going veg.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#5 Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

its been 11 years and I still want pizza. It sucks but I just think of pus and veal calves and Im good.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#6 Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

its been 11 years and I still want pizza. It sucks but I just think of pus and veal calves and Im good.

That's not exactly the way I think of it but I can't disagree with your quote.

I'm hardly the poster child for super healthy eating. I have however been vegan five years in November and I've never had a craving that remotely made me want to give up being vegan. I walked by a pizza place today and I admit it smelled good. But really anything that one ate before can still be had but veganized. So I'm fine with it. I love vegan pizza. I find mine is better than what I've bought so I stick with my homemade. And I don't mind vegan cheese at all once in awhile.
#7 Old 10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

For me, yes, they went away. I went "cold turkey" after a week or two of trying to slowly reduce my cheese consumption (which didn't really work at all). That's just me though...I know some people have a much more difficult time with cravings or they slowly tapered off eating cheese. I guess I had the luck of the draw with getting rid of the cheese habit!

Oh yeah...I haven't met a cheese sub. I'm fond of either, so I don't try, & I don't miss it!
#8 Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

That's not exactly the way I think of it but I can't disagree with your quote.

I'm hardly the poster child for super healthy eating. I have however been vegan five years in November and I've never had a craving that remotely made me want to give up being vegan. I walked by a pizza place today and I admit it smelled good. But really anything that one ate before can still be had but veganized. So I'm fine with it. I love vegan pizza. I find mine is better than what I've bought so I stick with my homemade. And I don't mind vegan cheese at all once in awhile.

May I have your pizza recipe??

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#9 Old 10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Ankle Biter

Have you tried some of the new substitutes? Daiya is wonderful on pizza. Order a veggie piled, no-cheese pizza from your favorite restaurant and add some Daiya Mozzarella when you get home. After a few minutes in the over, it's great - nice and melty. The Cheddar flavor is really good in quesadillas, too.

My most recent find is Sheese's smoked cheddar. I swear it tastes like the stuff we used to get from Hickory Farms -reminds me of Christmas. Sheese makes other flavors that I haven't tried, but I plan to.

If you don't like substitutes, try adding something a bit salty - like some sea salt or olives to your veggie pizza. It'll taste more familiar.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

that article is crazy! i didn't really have a hard time with kicking it, but my husband did. i never really cooked with it though - i only ate it when i ordered food, like pizza and cheese sticks. so i guess that helps.
#11 Old 10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

There is no perfect cheese substitute (yet) so you may always miss it. Missing something is different than being addicted to it though.

I make vegan pizza with Daiya that omnis love, too. With Daiya, it's really important to brown the top before taking it out of the oven, so I bake the pizza at 500 for 10 min, then broil for 2. My favorites are Yves pepperoni and black olive + Daiya. Or mushroom + Daiya.
#12 Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Beginner

It's the same for me. I've been a vegan for over a year now. I don't miss meat or eggs. And I think raw cheese smells disgusting. But baked cheese, like on a pizza, still smells good.
#13 Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama884 View Post

May I have your pizza recipe??

That's sweet of you to ask but I don't really have a recipe. I use any basic pizza crust recipe. (I may have got the one I usually use from fatfree.com) If not using a vegan cheese, my favorite toppings are onions, green peppers, finely chopped broccoli and maybe olives.
#14 Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone! Millk, eggs, and meat disgust me and so does cheese by itself but I definately crave pizza *drools* I'm pretty poor and can't afford to travel and buy substitution cheese. (My local supermarket doesn't sell it)

You call me sweet like I'm some kinda of cheese....vegan cheese 0.0
#15 Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

I still feel defeated by cheese, but I truly feel dairy and egg production is at least, if not more abusive to animals, than the meat industry. The suffering is prolonged, and offspring killed. I do have to constantly remind myself of this.
I don't understand how lacto vegetarians can obsess over rennet being in their cheese when it's production contributes to slaughter anyway.
I finally found a pizza shop that makes a great cheeseless pizza. Green and black olives, roasted red peppers, red onions, mushrooms and artichoke hearts on a good chewy crust. I may agree homemade is better, but pizza to me means just getting it with a phone call.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#16 Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The cravings are not so bad that I'll actually break down and eat it (I have decent willpower)...it's more just annoying than anything that I still think about it SO much! I've had cheeseless pizza and it doesn't really do it for me. It's good, but it's not the pizza that I miss, it's the cheese! I've had cheese subs but I'm really sensitive to texture and even though daiya is *pretty* close to the real thing it's not quite there with the texture. And I gag on it sometimes. :-o Unless I melt it down for mac 'n' cheese. Then I can eat it.
#17 Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, it's been about 4 years for me and I still miss it....mostly pizza. Since it has been so long, Daiya actually tastes great to me. It isn't exactly like cheese (from what I remember it tasting like), but it does help with the cravings.
Happily I have been slowly finding decent replacements for some things....like lasagna. It was like Christmas day when I found a recipe that tasted like the 'real' thing, I was so excited.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#18 Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

4ish months & I still want cheese pretty often.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#19 Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I also crave cheese like crazy still but now it's vegan cheeses. I'm in the minority because I love them all even Daiya as long as it's used lightly. Teese, Follow Your Heart, and rice cheeses are some of my favorites and I can even eat them right out of the package. I guess I have weird taste buds
#20 Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm glad someone brought up the issue of cravings. I have been vegan for about two months. I was fine at first, but lately I've been tempted by non-vegan food. I feel bad about it, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
#21 Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe what you're really craving is the fat or protein from cheese? Or some other ingredient? A lot of people who give up dairy or eggs don't feel full if they eat a vegan meal plan that's too low in fat or protein. I felt hungry a lot when I first went vegan. Wasn't eating nearly enough of those nutrients. When I started adding more oil to my stif fries and stuff I felt a lot fuller and didn't really crave eggs or cheese as much.

If it's truly the taste you miss, like others said there's no perfect cheese substitute but there's a lot of delicious vegan cheese replacers that are different but awesome.

Tam! RUGH!
#22 Old 10-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Maybe what you're really craving is the fat or protein from cheese? Or some other ingredient? A lot of people who give up dairy or eggs don't feel full if they eat a vegan meal plan that's too low in fat or protein. I felt hungry a lot when I first went vegan. Wasn't eating nearly enough of those nutrients. When I started adding more oil to my stif fries and stuff I felt a lot fuller and didn't really crave eggs or cheese as much.

I actually already went through this when I first cut out dairy. I was hungry ALL the time. I didn't crave anything specifically at first but I quickly realized I needed more fat. I cook with oil and I eat nut butters almost everyday. Once I added fat back into my diet, I felt 100% better. Protein is not an issue. I'm fairly certain I get plenty. I don't think cravings for fat or protein would focus on one specific food item and probably not without other "symptoms" like lack of energy or extreme hunger. I think that might be a myth so people can make excuses to eat whatever they want. When I was pregnant with my second I craved seafood like you wouldn't believe and you aren't supposed to eat a lot of it when you are pregnant because of the mercury content. I used the "my body must need the omegas" excuse to go above and beyond the recommended intake.
#23 Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

My hubby still has a hard time with cheese cravings, and we dont' have any vegan substitues (we have rice and soy cheese but they still contain caesin). I find hummus helps, we use it in wraps to add a creamy texture and flavor and in sandwhiches. It doesn't really taste like cheese persay, but I put some spicy hummus on a bagel the other day and the first bite was like biting into spicy cream cheese. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's worth a shot maybe.

I've also put cashew butter in a spicy wrap that surprised me. I didn't think it would taste very good but it was soo creamy and contrast of flavors was perfect.

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
#24 Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Just in case anyone is wondering, the vegan cheeses taste A LOT better after partaking.

I'm only talking about legal, medical marijuana, of course.
#25 Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont think the cravings ever go away, but they do die down significantly. Ive had Daiya a few times, but only thought it was ok, although potatos au gratin with Daiya and a few tons of garlic deffinately hit the spot!

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#26 Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Just in case anyone is wondering, the vegan cheeses taste A LOT better after partaking.

Most food tastes better after doing that.
#27 Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Haha, so true.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#28 Old 10-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had cravings tbh...

But as an ex smoker, what I can tell you is that my experience of nicotine cravings was that they're momentary... They don't last forever. Ride 'em out.
#29 Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I still miss cheese pizza after all these years. I never liked cheese alone but melted on pizza = Until I think of the calves and cows.
#30 Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Is cheese really THAT addictive!?

Just like the commercial says: "Behold the POWER!"

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page