Moral dilemma - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Having just recently "gone vegan", I find myself explaining all of my new personal rules to my friends, family, and coworkers. I was asked a question the other day that made me think, and I am interested in hearing the responses of others. The question was:

"If you were in the woods and saw an egg drop from a bird's nest, is it fair game to eat? Assuming of course, that you know for a fact that the mother will not/can not retrieve it and that it will surely perish it it were to hatch at all."

As a noob vegan, I would have to say that yes, this egg is fair game. However, I wouldn't eat it unless I was starving and couldn't find the tofu trees.

Handcrafted, one-of-a-kind jewelry @ CoffeeAndCats.etsy.com!
Support the handmade movement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndCats View Post

However, I wouldn't eat it unless I was starving and couldn't find the tofu trees.

This.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd at least attempt to put it back in the nest myself, before writing off the egg.

Either way, people make up all kinds of outlandish hypotheticals to challenge veganism(my personal favorite is the starving on an island scenario). It doesn't really make sense to do so, since veganism is pretty much designed for living in a civilized society, where one doesn't need animal exploitation to survive. If you're lost, or otherwise forced to live in the wilderness or something, animal consumption would probably fall under the practicality clause.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

How is that a moral dilemma? Sounds more like a hypothetical situation to me. Unless you plan on getting lost and starving in a forest sometime soon.

But "if" that was to happen to me, I wouldn't eat it. Why would you? How would you cook it? How do you know you won't open it up and kill the baby that is growing inside? I'd just leave it be.
#5 Old 10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Ankle Biter

Since vegans do their best not to consume any animal products, I would say that in this case, no it's not fair game, and leave it be. It might very well be eaten by another creature who needs the nourishment.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont know many omnis who would eat a fertilised egg. it wouldnt be like an unfertilised chicken egg, there would be meat and bones inside it!

but yeah, i'd leave it for a wild animal. eating it wouldnt even cross my mind. where do people come up with these questions?
#7 Old 10-03-2010, 03:32 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I dont know many omnis who would eat a fertilised egg. it wouldnt be like an unfertilised chicken egg, there would be meat and bones inside it!

but yeah, i'd leave it for a wild animal. eating it wouldnt even cross my mind. where do people come up with these questions?

Eww.. Wouldn't even have crossed my mind to eat an egg that fell from a tree. If I could, I would try and put it back. Otherwise it's "fair game" for the residents of the forest.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#8 Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If i was just out for a walk in the woods or day hiking then hell no, just leave it be and some animal will eat it. Just cause a human can't or won't use it does not mean it'll go to waste. Some wild animal will find it and eat it up. If I was lost in the woods and hadn't found enough food to sustain me in days I might do it, I don't know. I'd really truly have to be starving though. When I'm out for hikes I usually take several cliff bars, bananas, and oranges in my backpack though. So if I got lost I'd have food, even tho it wouldn't be much, for several days anyways. That's my response usually when I get these types of questions, because it's true, I always make sure to take food even if I only plan on being out there for 6hrs or something because you just never know. I also keep a lighter in my backpack and of course I take water and a few extra shirts for layering and a pair of tights. Yeah, I'm worrisome like that. Mainly cause I do have a habit of getting lost haha.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I like your user name and profile picture.

This is just another case of some people trying to make vegans responsible for all ethical issues regarding animals. "what would you do about this?" "what's your opinion of that?" "what about bugs in catchup?" on and on. You don't have to explain yourself or your choices to anyone. I didn't go vegan to get into ethical debates with anyone. That was not my goal. If people keep bothering you you can explain simply you went vegan for "personal reasons" and leave it at that. Your family and close friends could be one thing but to get into this with every coworker and acquaintance is going to get old and wear on you.
#10 Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM

There's no point in answering that question. It has no relevance to your life or the lives of the people around you. I'd tell them "if I ever end up in that situation, I'll decide then." You're vegan out of concern for the hens in battery cages. Try asking the questioner how they feel about the way the eggs they do eat are produced.
#11 Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Ergh. I hate when defensive omnis ask hypothetical questions. I would have replied with either, "Well, if a deer fell over dead from old age, I wouldn't eat it." Or, "If I was walking in the forest and my hiking companion had a heart attack & died, I wouldn't eat him/her."

So, also because its highly unlikely any of us will ever have to eat flesh due to a starvation situation, I'd definitely say no, not vegan.
#12 Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I would have asked since when do chickens live in trees in the forest? Usually, I just tell people, if I lived in their hypothetical world things might be different (I hate the would you eat meat if stranded on a desert island), but for now I don't and these are my beliefs.
#13 Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 PM

The more I think about, the more it all comes down to "hypothetical situations have no basis in real life".

Thanks for you thoughts!

Handcrafted, one-of-a-kind jewelry @ CoffeeAndCats.etsy.com!
Support the handmade movement!
#14 Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Riot Nrrrd

A variation on 'would you kill and eat a human if it was the only way to survive'? Maybe the question in the original post is best answered by posing that one ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page