How did you convince your parents to let you become vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 15 years old. I became a pescetarian about a year ago, and a vegetarian 10 months ago, for ethical reasons. I have wanted to remove milk and eggs from my diet since I became a pescetarian (only learned about honey later), and I don't like using by products.
My mom said that I'm "not allowed" to be vegan. She said she is too worried about me not eating well. I don't think she'd force-feed me eggs but I don't want to fight with her.
I do drink/use soy milk instead of milk, avoid eggs as much as possible, etc. but I want to stop contributing all together.
I am a junior in high school, and am definitely going to cut those items out when I move away to college.
Would you advise pushing the issue with my mom, or just waiting? I just sometimes feel like I'm taking the weak or easy route by not pushing it, it is sort of self-serving not to, because veganism is difficult. I just feel really bad. Thoughts? Advice? Ideas? Similar stories?
Thanks!

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM

I myself am 17. I just dove in, I didn't even ask my parents. It was sort of one day I was vegetarian and the next I was vegan, they would just have to deal with it. But in ways I think it would be good for your situation for both you and your parents to be tolerant and not be on different grounds once you are vegan. Don't feel bad if they eat non-vegan food in front of you, and most of all you shouldn't brag about veganism to them either. To become a vegan isn't something you force upon, and if they don't like, well they're the ones missing out.
#3 Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you research and show her that you are prepared to become vegan in a way that will not compromise your health. Show her the ADA Position on Vegetarian Diets (includes vegan diets) that basically says veg*n diets are appropriate for all life stages. Show her that you've done the research on the nutrients of concern and explain how you will make sure you are getting those nutrients along with the others you need. Show her a meal plan if you need to. Agree to do some/most/all of your own cooking. Offer to do extra chores to help pay for any extra groceries you may need.

If you approach her respectfully, with your decision well thought out and planned for she should be more comfortable with "letting" you go vegan. I think it's awesome that you're wanting to go vegan at such a young age! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Hmm, I became vegan when I was older, but I changed to vegetarian at 14. I had been cutting out meat for years, so it wasn't a surprise for them. I never asked them for permission, I just did it. My parents don't understand, even 11 years later, but I've made it clear that it's my decision, my life, my choices. But since you are so young, I would definitely show her how you can replace the nutrients you got from dairy/eggs/etc. with vegan items, show her you are making and adult and educated decision. Don't eat anything you don't want to, you are the one that has to live with the decisions you make.
#5 Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

Do you research and show her that you are prepared to become vegan in a way that will not compromise your health. Show her the ADA Position on Vegetarian Diets (includes vegan diets) that basically says veg*n diets are appropriate for all life stages. Show her that you've done the research on the nutrients of concern and explain how you will make sure you are getting those nutrients along with the others you need. Show her a meal plan if you need to. Agree to do some/most/all of your own cooking. Offer to do extra chores to help pay for any extra groceries you may need.

If you approach her respectfully, with your decision well thought out and planned for she should be more comfortable with "letting" you go vegan. I think it's awesome that you're wanting to go vegan at such a young age! Good luck

This ^^. Your parents don't know much about veganism and nutrition, and most of what they think they know is probably wrong. Just demonstrate that you know what you are doing and you can cook healthy meals. A lot of people, especially in their generation seem to think that people need meat/dairy for calcium,iron,protein etc etc, so you need to be able to dissolve those worries. Show them that you can eat healthy and you can take charge of your own health. I'm sure that she will be happy just knowing you're in good health, however you go about it.
#6 Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Beginner

Convince them? My parents can't force me to do anything I don't want to. And anyways, they don't really care too much at all about what I eat. I think they're just glad that I'm not eating a gallon of ice cream everyday since I became vegan. Lol. I keep losing weight now. xD

"A good deed done to an animal is like a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is as bad as cruelty to a human being."
- Muhammad (PBUH)
#7 Old 10-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

My father tried to ground me when I told my parents I wasn't eating meat anymore (at 12). It didn't work out, and I just refused to eat any meat they cooked (by slowly phasing it all out: one day deer, next beef, then chicken, fish, etc). Sometimes it wasn't always possible, but I've always been the type who loved animals unconditionally and I never could wrap my head around the idea of eating them. (I even got upset when i was like 8 about my dad killing a FOOT LONG wolf spider whose nest we disturbed.) I think my parents understood this. If you educate yourself and slowly explain your decisions and don't try to force everything all at once, I believe your parents will understand that your decision is yours, and will eventually accept it. Just make sure you're responsible for yourself, and whenever possible find your own means of supporting yourself. Good luck with your decision to live a compassionate lifestyle!
#8 Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I would create a meal plan with a nutritional analysis of how you're meeting all your calorie and nutritional requirements and then stick to it, showing your parents that you're mature enough to understand how to take care of yourself properly on a vegan diet. Maybe you can also ask to go to a nutritionist and get them to help you plan your diet to make sure you're eating enough and getting the right nutrients.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I randomly got upset when I was 10 after my dad brought home some chicken BBQs. My favorite meat! But when I was eating it, I noticed that it wasn't really an it... I got the awful feeling that I was eating a dead body. It had bones, and tendons, and veins, and it just didn't seem right. I moped around the rest of the day before deciding to go vegetarian, and asked my mom, who had been a vegetarian in the past, to go with me. She thought it was a great idea. My dad was a bit less pleased, but he put up with it.
I eventually learned about the true evils of the meat industry (And gelatin/other hidden animal ingredients - agh! I went two years before even knowing that!) and after going to farm sanctuary at the age of 12, I knew I had to go vegan, so I did. And here I am, 13, vegan, with a vegan mom and a slightly annoyed omnivore dad.

I never had any extreme problems with parents and meat, but I know some people do.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#10 Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Further to earlier answers, if you don't cook any of your food at home, show your mum that you going vegan doesn't mean in practical terms that her mealtime workload is doubled: cook your vegan food for yourself (if you weren't already). Not only does this remove any objections on the grounds of extra work, it clearly demonstrates that you're committed enough to this cause to work for it, which is worthy of respect if not understanding.

It's what I did when I went vege at home. Didn't go vegan until years after I'd moved out.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#11 Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I'd have to convince my mom if I became one. She's already told someone I was Vegan and I'm 18. She can't force me to eat.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page