Coffee creamer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I love love coffee but I've been struggling with drinking it vegan. I've tried it with soy milk, it was watery. I tried it with almond milk, it gives it a weird taste even when the almond milk is fresh. I tried powered creamer, which is okay, but is bad for you and turns out, not vegan. Any suggestions? I'm so used to milk and sugar, maybe it's just something I need to get used to? I saw there are silk creamers, are they any better than using plain soymilk?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. I dont know about over in the US, but over in the UK Alpro Soya make a pouring cream. Have you looked for that?
#3 Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

What about rice milk?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never tried it would they have it in Trader Joes? I know I never saw it in Grocery stores. What kind of taste/consistency is it?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#5 Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

They might, I usually find mine in Safeway (that's all we have here). It's not quite as thick as soy milk, and it's a bit sweeter (I can't compare it to almond milk, since I've never had any).

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#6 Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

If you thought soy made it watery, rice milk would be worse! It does taste like rice.
I don't use creamer, but I do love chocolate in cold coffee- 1/2 and 1/2.
I've know people who use Silk creamers. There's reg., french vanilla, and hazelnut. They do have more "body" than the milks.
I believe there's a coconut creamer - maybe So delicious?

Have you tried vanilla soy milk? Or different brands? I wouldn't like unsweetened soymilk, even though I don't use sweetener in my coffee, but I think I would like vanilla, or even the original (sweetened) ones. They seem to be creamier. The same would apply to almond milks. Unsweetened always seems more watery to me.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just wondering this. I find that soy milk curdles if you don't let the coffee cool a bit, and that really doesn't work for me. The taste was a bit off too. Same deal with almond milk and rice milk made everything watery. I think I'll have to give in and travel to one of the specialty stores, my regular grocery store sucks.
#8 Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes the nondairy creamers are better than plain nondairy milks. They are more creamy and blend better (no curdling).
I've used silk brand soy, trader joes soy, so delicious brand coconut... They're all good.
#9 Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Trader Joe has non dairy creamer brand? That's great to know. I'm a college student so the cheaper the better. It curdles...that's what was happening I noticed soy milk got all weird in my hot coffee.
And silva no I always had plain, I was afraid the flavored would be too sweet, since when used cows milk it was plain, I figured plain sow/almond milk was best but I'll have to try the vanilla.
Thanks I'll pick up some creamer next time I go shopping, it's probably more economical too, since I noticed the containers are smaller. I only use non dairy milk for coffee and cereal and the occasional recipe so today I just threw out half a container of old almond milk because I don't use it all the time or drink it plain :/

#10 Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i used to use the "so delicious" coconut creamer (coffee, tea...etc) SO SO delicious (not to be redundant)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#11 Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

i used to use the "so delicious" coconut creamer (coffee, tea...etc) SO SO delicious (not to be redundant)

I just had some in my decaf coffee and yes it is delicious. Thicker than regular "milks". I usually use flavored soy/almond/etc in my coffee and teas though. I found the trick to stop the nasty curdle is to put the milk in the mug first and then pour in the coffee/teas.
#12 Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

SoDelicious Coconut milk creamer is the best!

I like all of the flavors and buy them regularly.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#13 Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiNiceVegan View Post

SoDelicious Coconut milk creamer is the best!

I like all of the flavors and buy them regularly.

THIS!!! I'm drinking the French Vanilla right now.

I've also tried the Silk coffee creamers, and while they are good, I like the So Delicious ones a little better.
#14 Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Those coconut milk creamers do look good! and they have hazelnut my favorite

#15 Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM

I have not tried so delicious but I am a big fan of silk hazelnut creamer.
#16 Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTChick01 View Post

THIS!!! I'm drinking the French Vanilla right now.

I've also tried the Silk coffee creamers, and while they are good, I like the So Delicious ones a little better.

I love the French Vanilla, its my favorite.. Hazelnut is really good too.

Aside from Wildwood original soy creamer, this is the only stuff I buy.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#17 Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dolphin View Post

I have not tried so delicious but I am a big fan of silk hazelnut creamer.

I thought the silk Hazelnut had just a bit of an artificial taste to it, and I didn't like the aftertaste. I had thought that's the way all hazelnut flavor is, so I was hesitant when I bought the hazelnut flavor, but Silk pales on comparison to the SoDelicious.

#18 Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've started to get used to coffee black with sugar or with almond or soy milk but I used to be addicted to hazelnut creamer so it was a bit of an adjustment. Your tastes do change over time so that helps.

When I'm feeling creamy I'm a big fan of Silk creamers or just regular coconut milk works well too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vanilla Soymilk in Canada we have a President's Choice at different stores owned by Loblaws. Edensoy is the forerunner and I like Vanilla. Those creamer style ones look good though :P
#20 Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Beginner

Here is another option I find pretty good:

http://www.mimiccreme.com/nutrition.html

It can be found at Whole Foods.
#21 Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently started using So Delicious, and am really happy with the flavor and consistency. My grocery store only carried the original, but the health food store has the french vanilla. I'm going to have to ask them to order the hazelnut.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#22 Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I use soy creamer. Wildwood is my favorite but I'll also use Trader Joe's brand or Silk brand. It works way better than plain soy milk, as it is much thicker and has more fat. You get a nice creamy consistency (not watery) with only a little bit.

www.veganspoonful.com
#23 Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM

My favorite at home creamer is the Silk regular but I keep packets of SOYGO soy creamer in my purse for when I'm away from my fridge. It takes a little extra stirring to disolve and still leaves some sludge in the bottom of your cup but it tastes good and is vegan. You can find it at savingopusone.com if you are interested.
#24 Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought my mother So Delicious Coconut Creamer to try to get her off her previous nasty dair creamer, and she says it tastes great. I can't say though, I don't drink coffee.
#25 Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC47 View Post

Here is another option I find pretty good:

http://www.mimiccreme.com/nutrition.html

It can be found at Whole Foods.

I just found the Hazelnut Biscotti yesterday. Am going to try it today in my coffee..

ETA...

It's Meh.. Not worth the $3.75 I paid for it. So Delicous Coconut creamer is soooo much better.

#26 Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Beginner

I'm looking into SoyGo as well... since I travel a lot.

Silk Soy Creamer is what I normally use.... but am looking for an alternative for travel friendly (SoyGo seems to be the one... the commercial is absolutely horrible... )
#27 Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Beginner

anyone know one that travels for those of us who like our coffee ICED? I need something I can keep in my purse for coffee on the go
#28 Old 03-28-2011, 02:22 PM

I buy soygo since I travel a lot also and I can't always keep my travel cooler cold (for liquid creamer) an entire trip if there's no mini fridge in the hotel room. The packets work great...kind of pricy but worth it. Beats those nasty fake creamers. The packaging was revised since the last box I bought, so it seems like it would stay fresh longer. They are also very active in animal issues and brings about awareness of factory farming, so that's a huge bonus. You can find them at http://www.Soygo.net or http://www.savingopusone.com.

At home I started to use mimicreme again. They changed the formula so it seems creamier and doesn't curdle like it did before and I prefer the taste and ingredients over others. It's hard finding a creamer that isn't too sweet or has some funky taste when combined with coffee. It goes well with xylitol or brown rice syrup too.

For iced coffee I'd use the starbucks via iced coffee packets. They taste good and dissolves well.
#29 Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Organic Valley now has a soy creamer as well. Haven't tried it but will the next time I need some. http://www.organicvalley.coop/produc.../soy-creamers/

Does anyone know if plain soy creamer would work in the place of cream in soups and/or other cooked recipes? I'm tempted to try it in my potato leek soup but don't want to ruin the soup or waste the creamer (it aint cheap)

I'm worried it will separate when cooked.
#30 Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=lekawa;2954169]I'm tempted to try it in my potato leek soup but don't want to ruin the soup or waste the creamer (it aint cheap)

We must make p/l soup very differently! I don't use any cream substitute, just whizz up 1/3-1/2 in the blender and add it back to the stock. Creamy bits, chunky bits.

Quote:
I'm worried it will separate when cooked.

I'd test this first with a cheap cup of veg broth + a little creamer. Boil it till something happens.

Keep on freepin' on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page